Author Topic: Print/Cut  (Read 2460 times)

Offline MotionTextile

Print/Cut
« on: March 12, 2019, 10:16:59 PM »
Looking for recommendations on a print/cut plotter for apparel.  General use will be small piece counts, less than 12, athletic spot color style printing. 

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline GKitson

• Just another t-shirt guy
Re: Print/Cut
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2019, 09:26:41 AM »
Very happy with our Roland VersaCamm print cut solutions, contact robk@mindseyeg.com for specifics.

Greg Kitson
Mind's Eye Graphics Inc.
260-724-2050

Offline balloonguy

• !!!
« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2019, 12:11:23 PM »
We just picked up a graphtec CELite. We had a rough start and terrible tech service from them but the machine (second unit) has been working very well. This has a max cut area of 20" wide. The next size up is a 24". I still have not decided if the larger is worth it. Anyone that is doing signs or banners will tell you 24" is the minimum.
When you dig grave will you make it shallow so that I can feel the rain?

Online Frog

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
  • Docendo discimus
« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2019, 12:29:47 PM »
We just picked up a graphtec CELite. We had a rough start and terrible tech service from them but the machine (second unit) has been working very well. This has a max cut area of 20" wide. The next size up is a 24". I still have not decided if the larger is worth it. Anyone that is doing signs or banners will tell you 24" is the minimum.

That doesn't print does it? Motion is specifically asking for print and cut options.
Although our cutters do have the option of chasing reg marks, and cutting contours on previously printed transfer sheets, the options of material are limited to standard transfer papers that can be printed in a standard ink jet printer.
« Last Edit: March 13, 2019, 12:33:23 PM by Frog »
That rug really tied the room together, did it not?

Offline dsh

« Reply #4 on: March 13, 2019, 01:42:01 PM »
I saw the versacamm at Minds Eye and immediately came home and ordered one.  Prints great and the vinyl holds up very well on garments.  And it's always there for a quick print of names and text on non-print vinyl.

Offline GraphicDisorder

• !!!
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
  • Bottom Feeder
« Reply #5 on: March 13, 2019, 01:51:09 PM »
We have a Roland Pro 4, we do most printing and cutting on it, but we also have a stand alone GR-540 when we need to cut and print at the same time.

Keep in mind on a print/cut set up you really still need to print, then laminate, then cut for ideal results. So you need a laminator.
Brandt | Graphic Disorder | www.GraphicDisorder.com
@GraphicDisorder - Instagram | Facebook | Twitter | Youtube

Offline balloonguy

• !!!
« Reply #6 on: March 13, 2019, 01:52:55 PM »

That doesn't print does it? Motion is specifically asking for print and cut options.
Although our cutters do have the option of chasing reg marks, and cutting contours on previously printed transfer sheets, the options of material are limited to standard transfer papers that can be printed in a standard ink jet printer.
[/quote]
Frog you are right. I guess I jumped the gun on my answer... The ctelite is cut only.
When you dig grave will you make it shallow so that I can feel the rain?

Online Frog

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
  • Docendo discimus
« Reply #7 on: March 13, 2019, 01:54:05 PM »

Keep in mind on a print/cut set up you really still need to print, then laminate, then cut for ideal results. So you need a laminator.
The OP wants this specifically for apparel. That doesn't get laminated does it? ???

Offline GraphicDisorder

• !!!
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
  • Bottom Feeder
« Reply #8 on: March 13, 2019, 02:13:45 PM »

The OP wants this specifically for apparel. That doesn't get laminated does it? ???

I would assume anyone buying that machine probably will be using it for stickers as well, guess I should have been specific to that in reference to lamination.

Online Frog

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
  • Docendo discimus
« Reply #9 on: March 13, 2019, 02:26:58 PM »

I would assume anyone buying that machine probably will be using it for stickers as well, guess I should have been specific to that in reference to lamination.

Yep, a big investment for use limited to apparel, but flat stock and wraps are also a whole new ballgame.

Offline blue moon

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #10 on: March 13, 2019, 03:28:31 PM »
Motion is a large contract shop. I dont see them going into wraps or banners.
Pierre
Yes, we've won our share of awards, and yes, I've tested stuff and read the scientific papers, but ultimately take everything I say with more than just a grain of salt! So if you are looking for trouble, just do as I say or even better, do something I said years ago!

Offline im_mcguire

• !!!
« Reply #11 on: March 13, 2019, 03:41:06 PM »
My guess is they need it for team type stuff.  Ive been looking into the Roland Versa Came VS-300i.

I saw this print at ISS and it looks pretty killer.  I just have to save up a bit for one.

Offline GraphicDisorder

• !!!
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
  • Bottom Feeder
« Reply #12 on: March 14, 2019, 06:38:17 AM »
Motion is a large contract shop. I dont see them going into wraps or banners.
Pierre

My machine has never printed a single banner or a single wrap either.

Offline Croft

« Reply #13 on: March 14, 2019, 11:29:40 AM »
timely discussion , I'm on the fence whether to get one I'm spending about $1000-$1500 monthly outsourcing it ( t-shirt vinyl only) , not really sure if thats enough to consider buying one with material and labour costs?

Any thoughts?

Online Frog

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
  • Docendo discimus
« Reply #14 on: March 14, 2019, 11:43:54 AM »
timely discussion , I'm on the fence whether to get one I'm spending about $1000-$1500 monthly outsourcing it ( t-shirt vinyl only) , not really sure if thats enough to consider buying one with material and labour costs?

Any thoughts?

Are many of your jobs printed vinyl or merely cut? Though I have a low cost source for print and cut, I find it a miniscule part of my apparel vinyl business. For my needs, spending $1-$2K on a cutter was a no brainer. I have never looked back. Of course, a machine capable of printing as well costs way more than that.