Author Topic: Halftone Dot Size  (Read 4899 times)

Offline dahmitdesigns

• Verified/Junior
Halftone Dot Size
« on: March 18, 2019, 10:53:13 AM »
Good Morning Everyone!

We have a project we are getting ready to print using Cream ink (no base) on a heathered military green t-shirt.

Part of the design contains halftone tone art and our printer is concerned that the dots our rip is generating are too small and will fill in when he prints it. Anyone know if there is way to make the actual dot size larger? Currently we use Accurip Black Pearl.

Any help would be great!

Offline cbjamel

• Gonzo Member
Re: Halftone Dot Size
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2019, 10:57:03 AM »
Change the lpi say from 45lpi to 35lpi, to change the percentage 45% to 35%. are a couple ways in ai or in ps or corel.
Shane

Offline Dottonedan

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
  • Email me at art@designsbydottone.com
« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2019, 02:35:51 PM »
What Shane said.

In addition, FYI, A higher number such as 85lpi, actually means the dots will be smaller. It's easy to get confused when first trying to understand the dot count and think that larger numbers represents (larger dots). It's just the opposite.
(We are fitting and counting rows of dots) in a square inch or a fixed space. So 85lpi means there are 85 rows of dots in a line.  Fewer lines, means the results are providing LARGER dots to fill that same space.
Artist & Sim Process separator, Co owner of The Shirt Board, Past M&R Digital tech installer for I-Image machines. Over 28 yrs in the apparel industry. Apparel sales, http://www.designsbydottone.com  e-mail art@designsbydottone.com 615-821-7850

Offline dahmitdesigns

• Verified/Junior
« Reply #3 on: April 09, 2019, 11:27:31 AM »
Thanks guys! Appreciate the help!

Offline Colin

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
  • Ink and Chemical Product Manager
« Reply #4 on: April 09, 2019, 02:06:15 PM »
Quick question:

Are you letting accurip set your LPI?  Or have you unchecked the box in accurip for "lock screens"?

Its not uncommon to overlook that.
Been in the industry since 1996.  5+ years with QCM Inks.  Been a part of shops of all sizes and abilities both as a printer and as an Artist/separator.  I am now the Ink and Chemical Product Manager at Ryonet.

Offline Sbrem

• Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #5 on: April 09, 2019, 03:18:16 PM »
You could also think of line count (LPI) like fractions. A 1/4" is twice the size of an 1/8" right? So 30 LPI dots would be twice as large as 60 LPI dots...

Steve
I made a mistake once; I thought I was wrong about something; I wasn't

Offline dahmitdesigns

• Verified/Junior
« Reply #6 on: April 26, 2019, 01:23:44 PM »
Currently I have the lock screens checked. It does still let me change the angle and frequency though. Do you recommend not doing that? For most jobs that I run film for I don't have a problem with it being checked.

Thanks for all the tips! They are very helpful in figuring out printing halftone! Who knew it could be so tricky lol

Offline Dottonedan

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
  • Email me at art@designsbydottone.com
« Reply #7 on: April 28, 2019, 09:48:03 PM »
AccuRip will over ride any changes you do in Illustrator in the Print separation setup page if you have it locked. That is the purpose of locking it. If you want the control in Illustrator and change up line screens often, then you might want t leave it unchecked.
« Last Edit: April 28, 2019, 09:50:48 PM by Dottonedan »
Artist & Sim Process separator, Co owner of The Shirt Board, Past M&R Digital tech installer for I-Image machines. Over 28 yrs in the apparel industry. Apparel sales, http://www.designsbydottone.com  e-mail art@designsbydottone.com 615-821-7850