Author Topic: What is your go to tool for converting non Pantone colors into Pantone colors  (Read 1129 times)

Offline Rockers

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
Most of our clients send us artwork in RGB or CMYK mode and I was never really satisfied with converting those color modes within Illustrator or Photoshop. Came across this page on Pantone.com which works very well for us. Gives you the closest match and some alternatives

https://www.pantone.com/color-finder#/convert?colorSpace=hex&pantoneBook=pantoneSolidCoatedV3M2

Offline Dottonedan

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
  • Email me at art@designsbydottone.com
I usually hold up my pantone book and scan through the colors closest and narrow it down. I hate when they fall in between two colors. So picking  by eye. I don't know how anyone could get better with all of the variances in monitors and color profile preferences.  What I see is what you get. It's worked pretty well so far.  Photoshop color picker is hit and miss, although with the new colors Pantone has put out, it gets pretty close most times. Then there are those times when it's just way out.
I'll check this link out and give it a whirl.  Thanks for the contribution!
Artist & Sim Process separator, Co owner of The Shirt Board, Past M&R Digital tech installer for I-Image machines. Over 28 yrs in the apparel industry. Apparel sales, http://www.designsbydottone.com  e-mail art@designsbydottone.com 615-821-7850

Offline Colin

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
  • Ink and Chemical Product Manager
Been in the industry since 1996.  5+ years with QCM Inks.  Been a part of shops of all sizes and abilities both as a printer and as an Artist/separator.  I am now the Ink and Chemical Product Manager at Ryonet.

Offline Frog

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
  • Docendo discimus
Whenever possible, I kick back the conversion to them. I ask them to tell their designer that if printed in spot colors, the colors need to be spelled out with the standard Pantone equivalents. Works most of the time when they have a "real" art person creating their art.
In other instances, I'll do the "match by eye with the book" method, but I'll ask for a hard copy version that they have signed off for in the past for the comparison..
When it's a judgement call, whenever possible, I'll make the final decision theirs.
That rug really tied the room together, did it not?

Offline Sbrem

• Ludicrous Speed Member
Whenever possible, I kick back the conversion to them. I ask them to tell their designer that if printed in spot colors, the colors need to be spelled out with the standard Pantone equivalents. Works most of the time when they have a "real" art person creating their art.
In other instances, I'll do the "match by eye with the book" method, but I'll ask for a hard copy version that they have signed off for in the past for the comparison..
When it's a judgement call, whenever possible, I'll make the final decision theirs.

Oh yes, this for sure. We explain that we need PMS colors, and it's up to the designer. If that doesn't work, then they have to trust us.

Steve
I made a mistake once; I thought I was wrong about something; I wasn't

Offline blue moon

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
pantone color bridge for cmyk!

pierre
Yes, we've won our share of awards, and yes, I've tested stuff and read the scientific papers, but ultimately take everything I say with more than just a grain of salt! So if you are looking for trouble, just do as I say or even better, do something I said years ago!

Offline Nation03

• Gonzo Member
  • The Dude abides.
I use photoshop color picker. Have not had any complaints that come to mind. I never promise an exact match and usually tell them the pantone color I will be using unless they tell me otherwise.

Offline Sbrem

• Ludicrous Speed Member
that's where I start, but it's usually not very close to the PMS swatch book, which is why I tell all my customers that what they see on their monitors is mostly likely pretty close, but not correct.

Steve
I made a mistake once; I thought I was wrong about something; I wasn't

Offline Frog

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
  • Docendo discimus

pierre

That still just gives close equivalents, right?  Do you run the funkier ones past the client to decide?
That rug really tied the room together, did it not?

Offline Dottonedan

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
  • Email me at art@designsbydottone.com

pierre
Can you explain where and how in Bridge that you do this?  All I've known that handy for is color syncing.
Artist & Sim Process separator, Co owner of The Shirt Board, Past M&R Digital tech installer for I-Image machines. Over 28 yrs in the apparel industry. Apparel sales, http://www.designsbydottone.com  e-mail art@designsbydottone.com 615-821-7850

Offline avogel

We use Pantone Bridge book for conversion. Then we use eye test from there. We usually convert and proof everything back to customer for final approval.

Offline T Shirt Farmer

pierre

This the Bridge color book great tool for conversions to spot color, shows CMYK next to SPOT  showing differing color values in differing ink sets
Robert
allpremiums.com
Your Source for Decorated Apparel.

Offline Prince Art

I use photoshop color picker. Have not had any complaints that come to mind. I never promise an exact match and usually tell them the pantone color I will be using unless they tell me otherwise.

Standard practice: I use the Photoshop picker to get both the coated & uncoated numbers, look those up in the swatch books, and go with the one that looks best. For the majority of customers, that's all it takes. Most don't supply numbers of any kind, just graphics. And with those, if I notice that a different swatch looks better, I'll use it instead.

For the customers who supply any kind of #, I first ask them how close they need it, to feel out how picky they're going to be. If they've supplied only Hex/RGB/CMYK, and they're want it as close as possible, then I go to the Pantone site for better info.

On the rare occasion that someone cares A LOT (like for branding colors), I'll tack on an extra fee to mix the ink & then send them a pic to get their approval prior to printing, usually side by side with their printed material and/or the PMS swatch. In every case, including this, I still make it clear we don't guarantee perfect matches, citing substrate differences and other influencing factors as to why we don't. I get pretty darn close, and no one has complained... but I still try to make it clear, to avoid any possible hair-splitting after the fact.
Nice guys laugh last.

Offline tonypep

• Ludicrous Speed Member
Lets not forget about all the numerous transfer mechanisms and applications which can affect final colors.

Offline mk162

• Ludicrous Speed Member
Also, somebody that can't tell you what their PMS number is and is then picky about it can pound sand.  Tony has a point that it's hard to match them between processes, let along also trying to be a mind reader.

I use the color picker, if that's off I go by eye.  If you can't verbalize your expectations, then you can't be mad when I don't meet them.