Computers and Software > Computers and Software - General

Photoshop sep file size

(1/2) > >>

Dottonedan:
Good morning boarders!

Every now and then, I get a file from someone (or even a new file I created) and see that the end result separation file is actually very large. Much larger than normal. Like just a couple days ago, I had a file that was 400mb .psd greyscale sep channels. Typical size, tryical quantity of colors. Like I think it was 7 clrs at 13x16" in doc size, at 300 rez.  400mb?

A typical sep file ranges from 10mb-40-45mb max on average. Maybe 3% of them are like this. But why?  So I try other methods. Maybe it's something in my settings/preferences. I donno. Can't find anything on it.

Any other Photoshop users that have ran into this and found any answers?  I will dig further on Adobe forums, or something but thought I'd give this aa shot also.

Nation03:
That seems really high. Not sure why either. Other than the stuff i send you, I do all my seps in layers, not channels. I don't know if that impacts the file size. I did a 5 color job yesterday that is about 13mb. Print size was about 11x8 inches with resolution at 600. I'm curious why a file would be 400mb.

3Deep:
When a file size gets very large I'll try going down on my rez from 300 to half like 150 and guess what I don't lose much detail if any at 150, even 200 rez size file if the art is at the size you need to print, works pretty good at-least in my eye it looks good.

Chadwick:
I haven't seen ( noticed? ) that very often, then again I'm not always looking at file sizes if it's local stuff.

I did have one instance where I converted my original CMYK .psd file down to RGB, saved that as well, and wound up with a larger file.
How a 32 bit color depth file can be smaller than a 24 bit color depth had me scratching my head.
Never did investigate further..

Dottonedan:
As it turns out, I'm pretty sure now that the difference was wether my file sent to me was an 8bit, 16bit, 32bit.

This is a bit (no pun) different than what Chadwick was mentioning. Bit depth describes how much color depth an individual pixel can have.

1bit  Can be a black or white,
8bit  256 shades of grayscale - 0-255 shades of grey (per channel)
8bit RGB Color 256x 3 channels = works out to 16 million colors and can be referred to as a 24bit file (As Chadwick had mentioned). A CMYK file at 8bit color depth can be called a 32bit color file (8x4).

Most of us work in 8 bit color mode.
There are options to work in 8, 16, 32, color bit depth.   (IMAGE, MODE, BIT DEPTH).

In my case, someone sent me a file that was 16 or 32bit color depth that resulted in a file that was near 10x my file size I normally work in.

There is also a HRD (High Dynamic Range) mode of bit depth. This I is only under RAW format. HDR is used more while working in Photography and getting the most options out of your luminance (darks and lights).

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version