Author Topic: DTG- What would cause this?  (Read 2690 times)

Offline blue moon

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
DTG- What would cause this?
« on: May 02, 2019, 04:06:11 PM »
we've spent the morning trying to get rid of the smears without any luck. It shows up in the same general area on all the prints, but it never looks the same.

Any ideas?

thanx,

pierre
Yes, we've won our share of awards, and yes, I've tested stuff and read the scientific papers, but ultimately take everything I say with more than just a grain of salt! So if you are looking for trouble, just do as I say or even better, do something I said years ago!

Offline Dottonedan

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
  • Email me at art@designsbydottone.com
Re: DTG- What would cause this?
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2019, 04:14:50 PM »
I would think it would be in the pre-treat area of issues.  Something like an uneven coating, or a coating over something on the garment perhaps.

It could be that "in addition to" or adding to that, there may just be some color data inconsistencies in that area (if it's to be a solid consistent color) like maybe it's not so consistent as it looks.  Use the eye dropper over that area and bounce around.
Artist & Sim Process separator, Co owner of The Shirt Board, Past M&R Digital tech installer for I-Image machines. Over 28 yrs in the apparel industry. Apparel sales, http://www.designsbydottone.com  e-mail art@designsbydottone.com 615-821-7850

Offline mimosatexas

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
  • contributor
« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2019, 09:11:43 PM »
I've never seen that on any of our machines honestly. That looks like some kind of weird issue with the head. Is it only happening on this particular file? Can you eyedropper that shade of yellow or gold and make a big square of it and replicate the issue?

Offline Homer

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #3 on: May 03, 2019, 09:44:48 AM »
not a dtg guy but large format..it looks like your magenta isn't firing properly, the biggest issue is the smudge bottom right. That's a physical contact issue. Something stuck /dragging on the head? some fibers or something can really cause a ton of issues....
...keep doing what you're doing, you'll only get what you've got...

Offline blue moon

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #4 on: May 03, 2019, 09:59:22 AM »
so it get's weirder. it only happens in that small part of the image no matter which way we rotate it. It also seems to work fine on triblends, but has problems on cotton. The white layer is perfectly smooth on both. here's another image, close up of the problem area.

pierre
Yes, we've won our share of awards, and yes, I've tested stuff and read the scientific papers, but ultimately take everything I say with more than just a grain of salt! So if you are looking for trouble, just do as I say or even better, do something I said years ago!

Offline blue moon

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #5 on: May 03, 2019, 02:13:25 PM »
Got some help from Jerid and it looks like we are putting down too much white ink down.
Pierre

Offline mk162

• Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #6 on: May 03, 2019, 02:15:01 PM »
I've seen that before, but it looked like several issues going on.  I tried overprinting an image once and it looked a lot like that.  It could also be too much pretreat...maybe.

Offline jasonsee

« Reply #7 on: May 21, 2019, 11:41:06 AM »
it's either some fibre stuck to the print head, check the ink head is cleaned properly. It looks like something is messing with the ink after it's printed on to the shirt.

It can't be clearance issue since brother got clearance detector to prevent the platen even moving in prior printing it.
« Last Edit: May 21, 2019, 11:43:18 AM by anbin »