Author Topic: Flowers for Algernon  (Read 1239 times)

Online tonypep

• Ludicrous Speed Member
Flowers for Algernon
« on: May 04, 2019, 09:51:00 PM »
Just saw the movie circa 1968(Charly, with Cliff Robertson), but the novel is so worth reading for those to do so. Read it back in the day and was quite touching and wonderfully written. Back to the library. I love smell of aged paper. So again, it is "Flowers for Algernon"

Offline gotshirtz001

Flowers for Algernon
« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2019, 01:48:52 AM »
That scene where Charly and the lady doc go busting around on the motorcycle... 100% late 60s

My name is Charly, I live in a room

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I'm flexible until I'm not

Offline Sbrem

• Ludicrous Speed Member
Re: Flowers for Algernon
« Reply #2 on: August 02, 2019, 01:42:09 PM »
I didn't read it, but saw it when released, really liked it. If I ever have the time to read again, it would be a good one.

Steve
I made a mistake once; I thought I was wrong about something; I wasn't

Online tonypep

• Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #3 on: August 02, 2019, 03:51:53 PM »
Brilliantly written. It takes you through a journey of awareness and back.

Online tonypep

• Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #4 on: August 02, 2019, 04:41:24 PM »
BTW Algernon was a mouse.
 Moogle is back but never had to face the challenges that Charly did. But she surely had her own issues. When she read it  with me she cried and faded, as she is prone to do. Time to go up to the Widows Walk and talk her down.
When she did it was magic as always. She pronounced that the house was yellow and green but she loved the purple pineapples. All true except for the tin roof. Those colors and sounds will hopefully never change. Short lived. She likes her half life.

Offline T Shirt Farmer

« Reply #5 on: August 03, 2019, 03:08:13 PM »
BTW Algernon was a mouse.
 Moogle is back but never had to face the challenges that Charly did. But she surely had her own issues. When she read it  with me she cried and faded, as she is prone to do. Time to go up to the Widows Walk and talk her down.
When she did it was magic as always. She pronounced that the house was yellow and green but she loved the purple pineapples. All true except for the tin roof. Those colors and sounds will hopefully never change. Short lived. She likes her half life.

Is there a decoder sheet for Tony Speak, or must one be Word Smith to comprehend?
Robert
allpremiums.com
Your Source for Decorated Apparel.

Online tonypep

• Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #6 on: August 03, 2019, 05:29:34 PM »
No need. A Widows Walk was always at the very top of a house. Women would wait for their sailors to come home. Some never did. It might be a Northeastern thing but this  house does have many levels and many secrets. Once, when I skirted the gardens, I saw that the window up there was open. Returning, I saw the curtain closed. Much later when the landlord and I went up to the roof for some repairs, I inquired.
"No one has lived up here for years" I thought it for about a skinny minute, but then I found her name scratched on a sideboard.
MY NAME IS MOOGLE. I had to sit down.
Interesting enough, the "Apartment" up there has been sealed up for years untold. Easy to get out but harder to get in.
That is were our story begins.

Online tonypep

• Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #7 on: August 07, 2019, 03:19:43 PM »
A teaser perhaps. When I was a young lad, we always waited for the summer carnival. As usual, we separated from our parents and went to find treats. The ice cream girl was young and charming. "Vanilla, Chocolate, or Strawberry?" I shrugged. She suggested something different.
"How about an ice cream with ground pistacious and almonds with blueberry and caramel sauce?"
I of course accepted but had to ask what it was called. "It's a moogle, go find your parents"

Online tonypep

• Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #8 on: August 18, 2019, 05:13:31 PM »
Moogle never left, she took on different names and sometimes, bodies perhaps to deceive and perplex but I know now that she was always over me. She still is. She wants me to be nine again. "Your were so young and naïve" Perhaps so, but we all need to grow up and gain other traits. Good and not so much. She can go back and forth in time and I envy that. Us mortals do not have that option.
The story will probably never end how ever, new ones begin.
"We are out of chicken" is next. There, I learned how to overlook ambient light and see the stars in the sky. And that is where Moogle came back to say hello and goodbye.