Author Topic: Merch Monster Closing Shop  (Read 2155 times)

Offline T Shirt Farmer

Merch Monster Closing Shop
« on: May 09, 2019, 05:33:53 PM »
Looks like Merch Monster is closing his shop I received email with equipment that is for sale. Any one looking for shop stuff should give him a ring.
« Last Edit: May 09, 2019, 05:48:16 PM by T Shirt Farmer »
Robert
allpremiums.com
Your Source for Decorated Apparel.

Offline Dottonedan

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
  • Email me at art@designsbydottone.com
Re: Merch Monster Closing Shop
« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2019, 10:55:22 PM »
Yea, he was just on here the other day and didn't mention it.  He's been going pretty strong into the business and working with some industry leaders. He did mention he was buying another press and getting rid of some equipment. So who really knows?  Signs point to him growing.
Artist & Sim Process separator, Co owner of The Shirt Board, Past M&R Digital tech installer for I-Image machines. Over 28 yrs in the apparel industry. Apparel sales, http://www.designsbydottone.com  e-mail art@designsbydottone.com 615-821-7850

Offline merchmonster

« Reply #2 on: May 10, 2019, 12:50:21 AM »
Haha no Merch Monster is not going out of business. Today I had a 3 hour meeting at a billion dollar technology products company, and we are now their primary vendor. All of their swag / merch for all of their divisions will go through us.

I did decide to sell off / liquidate the production side of the business so I can focus on sales and marketing. As the operation has grown, I found myself caught up in managing the day-to-day of the operations, checking seps, fixing random things, tuning prints, working on fixing our staging and operational tasks. It's a lot of work to produce kick ass prints, and it left me with no time to sell.

I realized that I could just buy contract printing instead of building my operation to the point where I wanted it to be operationally, and that buying contract printing would get me to my goals faster. If a contract shop operates at a 20% net profit, then I'm just paying a 20% premium to hire a manager for the operations side.

Interestingly my lead printer also decided to buy a large chunk of my equipment and start his own shop. So now I can use him as a contract printer as well and maintain the same quality of work.

So I am still going be in business, just with more time to focus on growing the business and less time on operating it. Essentially Merch Monster is becoming a promotional products distributor rather than a screen printer, except that I actually know how to screen print whereas most brokers don't know a thing.
« Last Edit: May 10, 2019, 01:02:03 AM by merchmonster »
Merch Monster Screen Printing Embroidery and DTG Direct To Garment Printing
Servicing Oakland CA and the Greater San Francisco Bay Area
http://www.merchmonster.net

Offline numbercruncher

« Reply #3 on: May 10, 2019, 10:43:54 AM »
CONGRATS and good luck !
Michael Jirasek
Independent Consultant
708-227-5084
jirs23m@hotmail.com

Offline T Shirt Farmer

« Reply #4 on: May 10, 2019, 01:19:21 PM »
Damn a Billion dollar company that's a lotOswag ... you hit the Lottery nice work Merch Man  ;)
Robert
allpremiums.com
Your Source for Decorated Apparel.

Offline Ron Pierson

« Reply #5 on: May 10, 2019, 02:58:45 PM »
What a great way of looking at things......!!

Offline mk162

• Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #6 on: May 11, 2019, 12:43:32 PM »
Smart, it looks like you've figured out how to make that transition.  I have looked at it, but there isn't a shop within pickup distance I could trust with my stuff.  There is one about 45 minutes away, by that time I am better off shipping everything and then it doesn't matter who I use.

I think I would stress more about if the printers would get it done on time, correctly, etc. 

Good luck and I am happy for you.  Sam at Palomar did the same thing about 5-6 years ago and it's worked well for him last I checked. 

Offline 3Deep

• !!!
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #7 on: May 16, 2019, 10:30:11 AM »
It's been that long since Sam went broker? I had his number and use we talk every now and then until I drown my phone in the washer LOL, sounds like something I might want to do once my desire to print fades which seems like next week ;D
Life is like Kool-Aid, gotta add sugar/hardwork to make it sweet!!

Offline dirkdiggler

• Gonzo Member
« Reply #8 on: May 16, 2019, 03:23:43 PM »
Smart, it looks like you've figured out how to make that transition.  I have looked at it, but there isn't a shop within pickup distance I could trust with my stuff.  There is one about 45 minutes away, by that time I am better off shipping everything and then it doesn't matter who I use.

I think I would stress more about if the printers would get it done on time, correctly, etc. 

Good luck and I am happy for you.  Sam at Palomar did the same thing about 5-6 years ago and it's worked well for him last I checked.

I could rock your stuff EASY HOMIE!!!
If he gets up, we'll all get up, IT'LL BE ANARCHY!-John Bender

Offline mk162

• Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #9 on: May 16, 2019, 03:42:51 PM »

You sure as heck could...but Rome is at least an hour from here.  The shops right around here turn out really bad work...one of them by KSU is huge and I've seen horrific stuff come out of there.

Offline GraphicDisorder

• !!!
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
  • Bottom Feeder
« Reply #10 on: May 16, 2019, 03:56:27 PM »

You sure as heck could...but Rome is at least an hour from here.  The shops right around here turn out really bad work...one of them by KSU is huge and I've seen horrific stuff come out of there.

Not shocking, the public isn't educated on print quality. A point I continue to make on this site. A average customer couldn't tell you the difference between a average or even poor print and a quality print.

I am 100% sure I could take awesome art to a sh!tty printer and sh!tty art to a perfect printer and the average customer will tell you the better art is the better print.
Brandt | Graphic Disorder | www.GraphicDisorder.com
@GraphicDisorder - Instagram | Facebook | Twitter | Youtube

Offline dirkdiggler

• Gonzo Member
« Reply #11 on: May 16, 2019, 05:32:49 PM »

I know, I see almost ALL garbage around here.
If he gets up, we'll all get up, IT'LL BE ANARCHY!-John Bender

Offline LoneWolf2

« Reply #12 on: May 16, 2019, 09:57:50 PM »

ATS I believe is the one? Just get it in and get it out is their motto.

Offline inkman996

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #13 on: May 17, 2019, 08:16:20 AM »
Not sure what Sam at Palomar is up to, I thought he said he said he closed shop and is just doin brokering but I drove by his shop a few months back to demo the Iimage at a different shop and Palomar printing was still there and open. Maybe he sold the shop and name?
"No man is an island"

Offline GraphicDisorder

• !!!
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
  • Bottom Feeder
« Reply #14 on: May 17, 2019, 08:20:44 AM »
Not sure what Sam at Palomar is up to, I thought he said he said he closed shop and is just doin brokering but I drove by his shop a few months back to demo the Iimage at a different shop and Palomar printing was still there and open. Maybe he sold the shop and name?

Last I knew he still does embroidery and vinyl in house. Outsources screen printing. Still has his shop.
Brandt | Graphic Disorder | www.GraphicDisorder.com
@GraphicDisorder - Instagram | Facebook | Twitter | Youtube