Author Topic: Solution for dummy cartridges?  (Read 1346 times)

Offline sportsshoppe

• !!!
  • A way of life.
Solution for dummy cartridges?
« on: May 14, 2019, 10:31:58 AM »
Can I get some thoughts to what solution you use for dummy cartridges and where you purchase them? I have an Epson 4800. Thanks in advance

Offline cbjamel

• Gonzo Member
Re: Solution for dummy cartridges?
« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2019, 11:46:44 AM »
i have a complete set of carts and ink and partial cleaning solution for 4800. i switched to t3270.
Email me cbjamel at msn.com for pictures i would let go 150 plus freight.
Shane

Offline Frog

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
  • Docendo discimus
« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2019, 12:34:47 PM »
Are you asking about a solution (means to solve a problem) or solution (solute and solvent liquid for cleaning)?
That rug really tied the room together, did it not?

Offline sportsshoppe

• !!!
  • A way of life.
« Reply #3 on: May 14, 2019, 12:46:27 PM »
Frog, I had been using a solution sold by a company in Mobile AL but I was just wondering what everyone else is using. On the Epson, there are 7 color cartridges (dummy, I only use black) and I am not sure if the cleaning solution is what you have to have in them or not. could be mean green :).  I purchased the printer from MK162 a few years back. I know others here have used and some are still using this printer. Maybe they will chime in. CB I am gonna pass on the cartridges, Thanks anyway.

Offline Frog

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
  • Docendo discimus
« Reply #4 on: May 14, 2019, 12:51:10 PM »
Just today I saw a reference to using distilled water, but that seems too easy!
That rug really tied the room together, did it not?

Offline sportsshoppe

• !!!
  • A way of life.
« Reply #5 on: May 14, 2019, 01:08:48 PM »
That would be awesome but scary as heck to  :(

Offline 3Deep

• !!!
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #6 on: May 14, 2019, 01:35:50 PM »
Can't you just buy some very elcheapo carts and slap in there, that's what I bought for my 1430 some cheap color carts, they print like crap on color but I don't use it for color prints anyway.  Try inkjets.com
Life is like Kool-Aid, gotta add sugar/hardwork to make it sweet!!

Offline cbjamel

• Gonzo Member
« Reply #7 on: May 14, 2019, 02:27:09 PM »
if you arent careful you will burn head out if no ink or solution is run through them. They heat up as they print. Filmdirectonline.com is where is bought from.
Shane

Offline Sbrem

• Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #8 on: May 14, 2019, 03:00:02 PM »
I seem to remember (a miracle in itself) that there are a number of videos on youtube for cleaning clogged heads; some commercial cleaners, but also some formulas for making your own. Windex, ammonia, alcohol and water are what I remember, but not necessarily all four...

Steve
I made a mistake once; I thought I was wrong about something; I wasn't

Online Homer

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #9 on: May 14, 2019, 03:20:13 PM »
Windex with Ammonia..fill'er up, Bob's your uncle. I used it in my 4800 long ago.
it's my go to for the dye sub printer when she plugs up, cleans that sucker right out. make sure it has ammonia though..I have also heard about Armour All, I guess that works well too...
...keep doing what you're doing, you'll only get what you've got...

Offline sportsshoppe

• !!!
  • A way of life.
« Reply #10 on: May 14, 2019, 04:27:55 PM »
Homer thanks but..... No thanks lol that seems a little risky. I'll try the website CB posted. My head is clean I just need a solution to go in them... Thanks

Offline Sbrem

• Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #11 on: May 14, 2019, 04:48:32 PM »
My reply was about the formula for some solutions, which are more gentle that straight ahead Windex. I believe they are mostly water, then a little ammonia (or Windex) and a little isopropyl alcohol. You can make your own for filling your carts. On the other hand, when we had a 4800, we used MIS cleaning solution, it was relatively cheap I thought at the time.

Steve

Offline sportsshoppe

• !!!
  • A way of life.
« Reply #12 on: May 15, 2019, 02:14:37 PM »
Sbrem, I tried to look up the MIS Cleaning solution you had mentioned but was unable to find it on google :( I'll check out youtube for some information on DIY cleaning solutions. Thanks
3Deep I would need 7 cheap cartridges for my printer soooo I will just order more cleaning fluid if I could just figure out who the last came from. Nothin on the bottle but Clean1000 V3.0. I'll figure it out, I just ran out so all good for a little while. It last a long time.

Offline BrazosDesigns

« Reply #13 on: May 15, 2019, 10:45:31 PM »
I have 2 4800's and 1 4880.  Just yesterday I prepared one of the 4800's, that I just bought cheap for another backup, for storage by using this solution in refilled original carts and running an 'init fill.'   My clear cleaning solution is:  12 parts distilled water, 4-5 parts windex (must have the ammonia and be blue), and 1 part isopropyl alcohol (70%-90% is good).  Doesn't have to be exactly that, but this works great for me.  I mix it up in a liter container.  To give it a bit of color, if you want, I take some of the magenta ink and put it in to tint it.    That way you can see a slight tint to the paper when you have converted over (init fill) or done a 3-4 head cleanings and printed some test pages.  You can try more ink to tint to your liking...   

distilled water: $0.88
off brand windex at the dollar store: you guessed it, $1!
isopropyl alcohol: $0.97
Total retail savings: $100.00- $200.00

And if you are really smart (like me), you'd take those empty original epson carts, use a chip resetter, use a syringe to inject distilled water, shake it up, extact all the contents, then refill the original carts with 200ml of cleaning solution and have those handy.  You can often get the empties much much cheaper than refill carts.

Offline Sbrem

• Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #14 on: May 16, 2019, 07:59:42 AM »
Sbrem, I tried to look up the MIS Cleaning solution you had mentioned but was unable to find it on google :( I'll check out youtube for some information on DIY cleaning solutions. Thanks
3Deep I would need 7 cheap cartridges for my printer soooo I will just order more cleaning fluid if I could just figure out who the last came from. Nothin on the bottle but Clean1000 V3.0. I'll figure it out, I just ran out so all good for a little while. It last a long time.

They are ink supply.com   Sorry I missed this yesterday. What I remember was getting 3rd party carts that would fit, but had to take the chips off actual epson carts and put them on the new carts. That may have changed by now... A chip resetter may be necessary as well.

Steve