Author Topic: Keeping a cooler shop w/ roof coating  (Read 694 times)

Offline mk162

• Ludicrous Speed Member
Keeping a cooler shop w/ roof coating
« on: May 22, 2019, 10:43:14 AM »
So the last few years we've really put an effort to help with warehouse temps.  We put in a big exhaust system that pulls the spillout heat from each end of the oven.  This has done more than probably anything we've done honestly.

Just last week we had the roof coated in white silicone.  It's not cheap, but the roof was in need of it, we had some leaks and the old elastomeric coating was cracking and wearing out.  For a 7500 square foot building it ran about $19,000.  But holy cow does it reflect the heat.  Back in the day the roof was black(the silver coating washed off).  In the summer I measured the temp at 185 on the roof.  The next day with similar conditions after we had 2 coats of elastomeric coating on the roof it came in at 125.  I measured it yesterday, full sun at 90 outside and the roof measured 100.3 with a donut probe, not a non-contact since this stuff is so reflective it probably wouldn't have worked.

I was amazed.  We'll see what a difference that makes this week.  It's supposed to hit high 90's soon.  This also takes a lot of pressure off the HVAC systems in the office.  It also comes with a 10 year manufacturer's warranty, so GACO was out inspecting the roof to certify the mil thickness meets or exceed spec.  I know this doesn't apply to a lot of folks here since they have no say in building maintenance and repairs, but those that do should really look into coating the roof in silicone.

Offline aauusa

Re: Keeping a cooler shop w/ roof coating
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2019, 11:10:59 AM »
our is actually being done today and tomorrow,  cost is about the same as your per/square footage.

Another big thing which we did a few years back and has saved $100 + on electric is changing all ballast bulbs to non ballast led lights.

we will be watching the electric over the next few months to see if there is a change

Offline mk162

• Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2019, 11:16:29 AM »
I changed ours out I think 4 years ago.  They are so much cooler to the touch and use half the power.  I think the best part about them is the light output and how long the bulbs last.  There isn't a gradual dimming over time that you don't notice.  They either work, or they don't.

You'll love the temp difference in the shop with the coating.  I couldn't believe the temp difference over the acrylic based elastomeric coating.

Offline ericheartsu

• Gonzo Member
« Reply #3 on: May 22, 2019, 11:33:11 AM »
this is a great tip, thank you for posting this!
Night Owls
Waterbased screen printing and promo products.
www.nightowlsprint.com 281.741.7285

Offline DonR

« Reply #4 on: May 22, 2019, 01:46:17 PM »
We had our roof coated two years ago with the same brand coating you mention. It does keep things cooler...  We got a 5 year labor and 50 year material guarantee. You might check why you only got 10 years. However, if I actual get 10 years with no problems I would be happy. Next step is a complete new roof for $150,000 plus.

Offline mk162

• Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #5 on: May 22, 2019, 01:52:28 PM »
We could have paid more for a longer warranty, but it wasn't worth it at that point.  They said they can always come back out and spray a thin coat back over and give it another 10 years down the road.  they may have done away with that warranty.

New roof?  For us that would be overkill.  we had a few leaks here and there and virtually no rust.  If I wanted better insulation I would spray foam the plenum above the office, but I doubt I would get much more at this point.