Author Topic: Waterproof vs. standard films (if even still available)  (Read 1807 times)

Online Frog

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
  • Docendo discimus
Waterproof vs. standard films (if even still available)
« on: June 24, 2019, 10:57:40 AM »
In another thread about output devices, someone linked to a package marketed by Ryonet. When describing their waterproof film, they included something I don't think is accurate. "Using an Epson printer for film output requires waterproof films."
It was always my understanding that the emulsions on film were designed for the two inks. Dye, or pigment. For many years, folks with Epson 3000 printers using dye based inks did fine with the clearer non-waterproof inks. As more folks started using printers for double duty, including transfers, pigment based inks seemed to become more common, and more and more of the slightly frosty waterproof films, and their pigment- receptive emulsion became the easiest to find.
Perhaps someone with a little more technical expertise than I have could verify or clarify this.
That rug really tied the room together, did it not?

Offline Dottonedan

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
  • Email me at art@designsbydottone.com
Re: Waterproof vs. standard films (if even still available)
« Reply #1 on: June 24, 2019, 02:04:00 PM »
On the last Epson 1430, I used a source for films that someone turned me onto a couple years ago. 3 years now I think. But I don't remember the name of the Co.
That films was more "clear" than milky like the known waterproof films. (less than Ryonets film for example and it held just fine.

I'm looking for that Co by the way.  Wait..It jsut popped in my brain. It was the guys in or near Atlanta. They had good film and they also do stretched mesh frames also.

Who is that?   They used to have banner up here. (If they only had a banner up again), I'd know who it was. ;)
Artist & Sim Process separator, Co owner of The Shirt Board, Past M&R Digital tech installer for I-Image machines. Over 28 yrs in the apparel industry. Apparel sales, http://www.designsbydottone.com  e-mail art@designsbydottone.com 615-821-7850

Offline screenxpress

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #2 on: June 24, 2019, 03:04:49 PM »
Fixxons perhaps?
Anything important is never left to the vote of the people. We only get to vote on some man; we never get to vote on what he is to do.  Will Rogers

Offline Sbrem

• Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #3 on: June 24, 2019, 04:10:11 PM »
Our Epson uses WP film, and the pigment based Epson Photo Black for ink. We will be changing to a refillable system fairly soon. We've always used WP film though, whether dye based when we converted 1400's or 4800's, or pigment. It's the coating on the film, I'm pretty sure it can be waterproof for either dye or pigment based inks. In the old days of films from a darkroom, they were waterproof too.

Steve
I made a mistake once; I thought I was wrong about something; I wasn't

Online Frog

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
  • Docendo discimus
« Reply #4 on: June 24, 2019, 04:14:36 PM »
"waterproof" will take either ink, very forgiving.  The non waterproof films I tried years ago, seemed to like the dye based inks better.

Online Frog

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
  • Docendo discimus
« Reply #5 on: June 24, 2019, 04:44:38 PM »
On the last Epson 1430, I used a source for films that someone turned me onto a couple years ago. 3 years now I think. But I don't remember the name of the Co.
That films was more "clear" than milky like the known waterproof films. (less than Ryonets film for example and it held just fine.

I'm looking for that Co by the way.  Wait..It jsut popped in my brain. It was the guys in or near Atlanta. They had good film and they also do stretched mesh frames also.

Who is that?   They used to have banner up here. (If they only had a banner up again), I'd know who it was. ;)

Probably thinking of Spot Color Supply (3Deep Darryl suggested them to you in another thread)

Offline tonypep

• Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #6 on: June 24, 2019, 06:56:49 PM »
Spotcolor is indeed in ATL I will be reaching out to Brandon and Scott. They are a class act.