Author Topic: Bottlenecks and sub assemblies  (Read 758 times)

Offline tonypep

• Ludicrous Speed Member
Bottlenecks and sub assemblies
« on: July 22, 2019, 12:13:05 PM »
It has come up recently so I'll give some thoughts. To be sure, the screen department with all it's variables can often be a culprit whether automated or manual. The steps still have to be taken. Inks can be as simple or complicated based on their requirements for any given shop. RFU or PC or a mixture of both, the options can be dizzying. A sub assembly that I feel might be overlooked is checking in and counting raw goods.
I won't get into shop size but it usually needs to be done. Pre-Op and Post-Op.
My general observation on all this requires is good timing. It all needs comes together in real time, whether its two hands or 200. To me, I find the most bottleneck is lack of communication and procedures. It is getting better all around though.
Don't get me wrong. I have been both a saint and sinner with this.
Mind your Peace and Carrots tp

Offline Dottonedan

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
  • Email me at art@designsbydottone.com
Re: Bottlenecks and sub assemblies
« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2019, 07:50:32 AM »
Great post!   So true, way overlooked. Assumed easy and assumed no issues, so no attention is given.
Artist & Sim Process separator, Co owner of The Shirt Board, Past M&R Digital tech installer for I-Image machines. Over 28 yrs in the apparel industry. Apparel sales, http://www.designsbydottone.com  e-mail art@designsbydottone.com 615-821-7850

Offline tonypep

• Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2019, 01:57:02 PM »
So guess what can happen? Everything. Even the best laid plans and all the great management software and people can not always account for hiccups. All of the art and pre-press can be ready to pull the trigger only to find out that the order is not ready. It may be one shirt for little Johnny or perhaps an over and under situation for many blanks (hundreds or thousands). Either way it usually matters. The balance lies in good communication between all departments. Often the blame lies on the blank vendors unfortunately.
So what to do? Stay connected and be prepared to think on your feet!

Offline aauusa

« Reply #3 on: July 23, 2019, 03:05:49 PM »
we go through this all the time and for me the past 20yrs.   having to do teams and deal with art dept which does the art for embroidery(hats), screen print(parent shirts) and full dye jerseys(team jersey) and custom baseball pants,   then it goes to each dept and all the blanks(belts, socks, hats, parent shirts) to be ordered, and embroidery does hats, screen doe parents, dye print the jerseys and pants, and sewing is waiting for dye to finish.   all the while we have 2-3 weeks max to have all of this to come together for the team so they can have 1 pick up for everything.     

It is a constant battle keeping all depts talking and on the same page and same time frame.   COMMUNICATIONS is the only way it can happen.  most time we get it right 95% of the time.  every now and then something will be backlogged in production or items out of stock.  but even when we do miss something we let the customer know before they come for pick up so thee is no surprises.  we have found most surprises are not good so COMMUNICATION with customer keeps the heat down.

Offline tonypep

• Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #4 on: July 23, 2019, 03:47:58 PM »
Agreed. Try 24 to 48 hour turns! Good comm is critical no matter what. As I slowly step back and set up the studios, I have realized that the "whatever" approach leads to less than success. In larger shops, one can be insulated to such issues. Money left on the table is just that. In the recent past I have been chastised for worrying about the schedule and staying technical. It's my nature. I eventually left it up to the powers that were and they have done a great job of righting the ship and they will continue to do so. Hiccups and all!
Good timing to everyone!