screen printing > General Screen Printing

Darkroom

(1/2) > >>

BartJY:
Hi folks,

I do not have a room in the house that some outside light does not get in. It's not much, but it's obvious when my eyes adjust to it. How much daylight is too much?

Thanks
Bart

Frog:

--- Quote from: BartJY on June 25, 2019, 05:22:06 PM ---Hi folks,

I do not have any room in the house that some outside light does not get in. It's no much, but it's obvious when my eyes adjust to it. How much daylight is too much?

Thanks
Bart

--- End quote ---
In what circumstance?
You're not using actual Ortho (or the dreaded pitch-black requiring Pan)photographic film so the old classic requirements for a darkroom have been replaced by conditrions with a lot more latitude.
While coating, and wet, most emulsions are not fast enough to react to most dim light conditions.
Once dried on the screens, however, you should probably come up with some sort of light-safe cabinet.

Sbrem:
Yellow is what filters out the blue in the light that affects your emulsion, as seen in previous discussions about yellow tubes that cover fluorescent lights, or even LED lighting. You could try blocking the window light with several layers of yellow mesh, or some sort of transparent yellow plastic...

Steve

Prince Art:
Our screen room has a window which is covered by an opaque black curtain. Some light leaks in the sides. It isn't casting any direct light on the table where we coat & tape films. I don't worry about it, and haven't noticed problems. BUT- we store screens in cabinets w/ doors, and these are light tight. I think that's the big thing - handling screens briefly in a small amount of ambient light isn't going to be a problem; storing them for longer periods in the same amount of ambient light is almost certainly going to have a negative effect.

Sundaybest:
I don't use a darkroom. As long as you don't expose your screens to sunlight or leave them out too long you should be good.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version