Author Topic: Darkroom  (Read 1160 times)

Offline BartJY

• Verified/Junior
Darkroom
« on: June 25, 2019, 05:22:06 PM »
Hi folks,

I do not have a room in the house that some outside light does not get in. It's not much, but it's obvious when my eyes adjust to it. How much daylight is too much?

Thanks
Bart
« Last Edit: June 25, 2019, 09:16:19 PM by BartJY »

Offline Frog

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
  • Docendo discimus
Re: Darkroom
« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2019, 05:35:32 PM »
Hi folks,

I do not have any room in the house that some outside light does not get in. It's no much, but it's obvious when my eyes adjust to it. How much daylight is too much?

Thanks
Bart
In what circumstance?
You're not using actual Ortho (or the dreaded pitch-black requiring Pan)photographic film so the old classic requirements for a darkroom have been replaced by conditrions with a lot more latitude.
While coating, and wet, most emulsions are not fast enough to react to most dim light conditions.
Once dried on the screens, however, you should probably come up with some sort of light-safe cabinet.
That rug really tied the room together, did it not?

Offline Sbrem

• Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #2 on: June 26, 2019, 07:58:54 AM »
Yellow is what filters out the blue in the light that affects your emulsion, as seen in previous discussions about yellow tubes that cover fluorescent lights, or even LED lighting. You could try blocking the window light with several layers of yellow mesh, or some sort of transparent yellow plastic...

Steve
I made a mistake once; I thought I was wrong about something; I wasn't

Offline Prince Art

« Reply #3 on: June 26, 2019, 11:50:55 AM »
Our screen room has a window which is covered by an opaque black curtain. Some light leaks in the sides. It isn't casting any direct light on the table where we coat & tape films. I don't worry about it, and haven't noticed problems. BUT- we store screens in cabinets w/ doors, and these are light tight. I think that's the big thing - handling screens briefly in a small amount of ambient light isn't going to be a problem; storing them for longer periods in the same amount of ambient light is almost certainly going to have a negative effect.

Nice guys laugh last.

Offline Sundaybest

• Verified/Junior
« Reply #4 on: July 10, 2019, 02:25:21 AM »
I don't use a darkroom. As long as you don't expose your screens to sunlight or leave them out too long you should be good.

Offline 3Deep

• !!!
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #5 on: July 10, 2019, 04:24:02 PM »
We don't have an independent dark room, it houses both exposure units and a bathroom (bathroom is independent)  ;) and nice closet.  I put fresh coated screens in our light safe cabinet and then store them in the boxes (which they came in when bought new) in the closet, each box is mark for what mesh counts I use like 196 to 305 or 110 to 150's.  I use to toss those screen boxes but found a really good use for them.  thanks Spot Color supply for the boxes ;D
Life is like Kool-Aid, gotta add sugar/hardwork to make it sweet!!

Offline GraphicDisorder

• !!!
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
  • Bottom Feeder
« Reply #6 on: July 10, 2019, 04:35:24 PM »
See image. Our I-Image and complete screen area is right in the middle of our shop. We do not have a dark room, we've never had a issue with this. Our shop is lit by 24 LED High Bay Lights.
Brandt | Graphic Disorder | www.GraphicDisorder.com
@GraphicDisorder - Instagram | Facebook | Twitter | Youtube

Offline cbjamel

• Gonzo Member
« Reply #7 on: July 11, 2019, 12:42:52 AM »
See image. Our I-Image and complete screen area is right in the middle of our shop. We do not have a dark room, we've never had a issue with this. Our shop is lit by 24 LED High Bay Lights.
How do you keep screens that are fresh coated drying? in a cabinet? Show us. trying to learn more.
Shane

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

Offline GraphicDisorder

• !!!
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
  • Bottom Feeder
« Reply #8 on: July 11, 2019, 07:19:05 AM »
How do you keep screens that are fresh coated drying? in a cabinet? Show us. trying to learn more.
Shane

The 2 green cabinets in the image are heated drying cabinets. Vastex brand.
Brandt | Graphic Disorder | www.GraphicDisorder.com
@GraphicDisorder - Instagram | Facebook | Twitter | Youtube

Offline cbjamel

• Gonzo Member
« Reply #9 on: July 11, 2019, 11:40:14 AM »
Thanks,
Shane