Author Topic: getting the heat out of the shop  (Read 941 times)

Offline Sbrem

• Ludicrous Speed Member
getting the heat out of the shop
« on: June 28, 2019, 10:44:47 AM »
Like we haven't all been here; our shop is about 60K cubic feet. I can use an online calculator to determine the CFM depending on how often we would want the air changed. How ofter should that be? Our dimensions are 60 x 40 with a 24' ceiling. My thought is to place it dead center in the roof, where others here theorize that we could put it on the one wall that faces the outdoors. However, that wall is the same one as the loading dock door to the outside, where the air is coming in. I'm thinking that mostly the it would draw the outside air along the wall and out, and not have much effect on the collected heat in the room. So, any thoughts? Thanks in advance, and, Happy Fourth of July to all, we are off next week.

Steve
I made a mistake once; I thought I was wrong about something; I wasn't

Offline mk162

• Ludicrous Speed Member
Re: getting the heat out of the shop
« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2019, 10:52:01 AM »
I would put it the furthest you can from the doors.  unless you plan on moving the air in the dead spaces around as well.  Our overhead door is slap in the middle of the shop, so on one end we have a fan that pulls air out, the other end of the shop has less airflow and gets warmer.

I would recommend a hood vent system to capture some spillout heat.  It has been great in our shop. 

Offline Sbrem

• Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #2 on: June 28, 2019, 11:05:31 AM »
I see that of course. I was thinking the center of the roof as it would be directly above our MD-8, but really, what ever gets it down from 95° or 100° to say 80°. Right now, it's like the opposite of snow; it builds up at the roof and works it's way down to head level.

Steve

Offline jsheridan

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #3 on: June 28, 2019, 12:02:53 PM »
Open doors on one side of the building, three massive fans at ceiling height blowing out, drawing all the air through and out of the shop on the other side.
Blacktop Graphics Screenprinting and Consulting Services

Offline kirkwad

• Verified/Junior
« Reply #4 on: June 28, 2019, 12:26:53 PM »

Offline mk162

• Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #5 on: June 28, 2019, 12:38:10 PM »
Looking at these... pretty neat:

https://www.japantrendshop.com/tajima-seiryo-jacket-cooling-system-p-3564.html

You're still wearing a jacket though.  Look, I saved you $270...

Offline kirkwad

• Verified/Junior
« Reply #6 on: June 28, 2019, 12:51:49 PM »
Looking at these... pretty neat:

https://www.japantrendshop.com/tajima-seiryo-jacket-cooling-system-p-3564.html

You're still wearing a jacket though.  Look, I saved you $270...

Nice. If it's blowing cold air then it doesn't matter if you're wearing a jacket... cold air keeps you cool.

Offline mk162

• Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #7 on: June 28, 2019, 12:58:26 PM »
It can't blow cold air.  It's not an AC system.  It will blow room temperature air.  It's a fan with a clip, for $280.

Offline Sbrem

• Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #8 on: June 28, 2019, 02:42:33 PM »
Open doors on one side of the building, three massive fans at ceiling height blowing out, drawing all the air through and out of the shop on the other side.

Unfortunately, we only have the one door, so the big ass fans would blowing out of the intake, so to speak.

Steve

Offline mk162

• Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #9 on: June 28, 2019, 03:16:40 PM »
try and get approval to put a vent fan in the side of the building.  I would work wonders.  Then put a swamp cooler at the entrance. Our shop is bearable today.  I am sweating a little, but I crawled around a new table applying a coat of poly, while wearing jeans.