Author Topic: Dryer speed and temp question  (Read 633 times)

Offline Scobey Peterman

Dryer speed and temp question
« on: July 04, 2019, 11:07:51 AM »
I have some shirts that are 80% rayon.

My ink company said I need to use low cure ink.  Sounds good to me.

I have an M&R Mini Sprint Internation w/ 8 ft chamber.

I want to set the temp at 300.  About how long in the belt speed??

I will test with probe and heat strips.  I just need a good starting point.

Thanks
Quality over Quantity

Offline Colin

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
  • Ink and Chemical Product Manager
Re: Dryer speed and temp question
« Reply #1 on: July 04, 2019, 03:42:45 PM »
First question:  What is the cure temp of the ink you are using?  What is the ink?

I ask, since many "low cure" inks actual cure temps are somewhere between 250* - 300*.  Knowing that inks actual cure temp is good info to have.

As for retention times.  A setting of 8 will give you a 1 minute retention time (each number on the M&R dryer equates to feet per minute.  So 8 = 8 feet per minute).  The longer you keep the garment in the dryer, the more precise you can be with your dryer temps.

Instead of running "hot" and fast, you can run cool and slower.

I am personally a fan of running your dryer temps closer to the actual cure temp of the ink and slowing down the belt.  This way you do not spike the temps on the garment itself.  This allows you to not worry about bleeding on delicate poly, possible shrinkage of the garment, melting delicate fabrics, etc.

Hope this helps Scobey!
Been in the industry since 1996.  5+ years with QCM Inks.  Been a part of shops of all sizes and abilities both as a printer and as an Artist/separator.  I am now the Ink and Chemical Product Manager at Ryonet.

Offline Scobey Peterman

Re: Dryer speed and temp question
« Reply #2 on: July 05, 2019, 07:38:27 AM »
Yes, it does.  Thanks..
Quality over Quantity