Author Topic: Thoughts on colors  (Read 1152 times)

Offline tonypep

• Ludicrous Speed Member
Thoughts on colors
« on: July 08, 2019, 04:55:24 PM »
Watercolors, Tempera, Oils ,Acrylics ,Pastels etc often up to almost a hundred of color options. Why then, do most textile suppliers often just a  few? A few ink colorists responded years ago. "We don't trust most of you so we had figure it out on our own." They did for the most part.
This is a starter post

Online CBCB

• !!!
Re: Thoughts on colors
« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2019, 11:32:23 PM »
Great question.

I think the big factors are that we print more spot colours than blends, and that the medium (apparel) is a bit of a commodity.

Even at around 40 ‘stock’ ink colours I feel there is a lot of overlap in the reds and blues if you’re printing mostly spot colours on apparel.

I could see where having 12 shades of red instead of 6 would be useful for blending, or in situations where you have unlimited screens (like how you can have unlimited paint brushes per piece). 

But for the most part clients just need red, red, or redder. Your quote is spot on, any more shades might confuse’em!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline Prince Art

« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2019, 10:26:48 AM »
Perhaps because art supplies are primarily for personal expression (and that's their selling point), and printing supplies are made with efficient production in mind (both t-shirt production and ink production)? Of course, with mixing systems, it all changes. I often wish I could cap customer's ability to specify Pantone #s. "For crying out loud, NO. Do you know how many other shades of aqua we have sitting on the shelf right now?" (But that's never going to be said. ::))
Nice guys laugh last.

Offline tonypep

• Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #3 on: July 09, 2019, 12:51:53 PM »
I know of a shop or two that will mix and match anything from shoelace tips to underwear. Others keep stock colors. All of that is good and responsible. Some may make different versions of the same color based on so many variables. Too many to name. The properties of color formulation are made people and computers. Guess what? They are not always right.

Offline tonypep

• Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #4 on: July 10, 2019, 02:46:42 PM »
I suppose the post was baited. Many ink and dye suppliers just supply a limited number of colors. It is IMO due to supply and demand and cost of converting pigment grinders.