Author Topic: How hot does it get in your shop?  (Read 2536 times)

Offline Sundaybest

• Verified/Junior
How hot does it get in your shop?
« on: July 10, 2019, 02:37:08 AM »
I have a 1,500sq ft warehouse an today it got to 95 degrees. Are portacools worth it?

Offline Nation03

• Gonzo Member
  • The Dude abides.
Re: How hot does it get in your shop?
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2019, 07:26:21 AM »
Hovers between 82 - 95 degrees in here depending on the humidity outside. I don't turn the AC on, just not worth it. The thing drips like crazy and when the dryers are on it's not even doing anything. I stick with fans in strategic locations. I can bare the heat as long as there is some sort of a breeze coming at me. I thought about the portacools but I'm not sure they're really worth it in a larger space with high ceilings.

Offline BP

« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2019, 09:12:22 AM »
Mid 80's with the AC on.
SHIRT HAPPENS!

Offline mk162

• Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #3 on: July 10, 2019, 09:20:45 AM »
Yes, portacools do a great job if you are pulling enough air out of the warehouse.  They do nothing but jack up the humidity if you don't exchange the air.

The trick with them is turn the water down so you see dry spots on the coils.  That way you know the water is evaporating.  Also, I hate to stress this too much...AIRFLOW.  We have 2 exhaust fans for about 3,000 square feet.  I know one of them is rated 1,200cfm, I think the other is right around there or a little larger.

Offline jsheridan

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #4 on: July 10, 2019, 12:50:52 PM »
It's all about air exchange. Get the air in, like a motor, then out like an exhaust.

Swamp coolers work great in low humidity areas.
Blacktop Graphics Screenprinting and Consulting Services

Offline LuckyFlyinROUSH

• !!!
« Reply #5 on: July 10, 2019, 01:11:05 PM »
99+

Right under AC piped over operators...70.

Butt sweat 99, head freezing.
I spend too much money on equipment...

Offline avogel

« Reply #6 on: July 10, 2019, 01:24:06 PM »
We just had ac installed blowing straight down above operator, puller and catcher stations. It is a BIG difference. Shop is still hot, this morning we started at 5:30 and it was 85, its 96 right now with 65% humidity. AC makes setups go faster too, everyone is rushing around trying to get back to ac stations, lol.

Offline mk162

• Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #7 on: July 10, 2019, 01:26:13 PM »
It's all about air exchange. Get the air in, like a motor, then out like an exhaust.

Swamp coolers work great in low humidity areas.

Ours works great here in high humidity...ask Greg Kitson.  He was impressed with ours when he was here.  We have since added more airflow to the shop and it's even cooler back there.  On rainy or really high humidity days it won't work well, luckily down here the heat can burn off humidity pretty quickly.

Offline Sbrem

• Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #8 on: July 10, 2019, 02:44:23 PM »
It's 100° today... but there are portable ac's blowing on each person to make it tolerable. For us, it's getting the heat out, I had this conversation last week here...

Steve
I made a mistake once; I thought I was wrong about something; I wasn't

Offline 3Deep

• !!!
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #9 on: July 10, 2019, 04:07:24 PM »
I got lucky my shop use to be an old restaurant, so I have air through out the building and can shut down the shop area from the office area if we need to, our norm in the shop at full production is around 85/90 because I shut down some of the air vents so it won't effect the dryer. ;D
Life is like Kool-Aid, gotta add sugar/hardwork to make it sweet!!

Offline GraphicDisorder

• !!!
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
  • Bottom Feeder
« Reply #10 on: July 10, 2019, 04:42:09 PM »
We used to see near 120. We put in regular fans on the side of our shop wall (in wall) and that knocked a good 10 degrees off. Then when we had our fire (rented area) and we repaired the building we took over the rented side and knocked the wall down between us. So now the shop is just open to cross breeze when you open our garage doors. So its hitting 95-100 now on high side.

We used to use a porta cool but like others mentioned it helped, but it also made it muggy after a period of time. So we gave that up.
Brandt | Graphic Disorder | www.GraphicDisorder.com
@GraphicDisorder - Instagram | Facebook | Twitter | Youtube

Offline mimosatexas

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
  • contributor
« Reply #11 on: July 10, 2019, 09:19:08 PM »
My old shop would hit 120+. I ended up getting a portable ac and having it blow right up the back of my shirt while printing. Current shop is air conditioned, but by the end of the afternoon we still see temps in the mid 90s whem the flashes are going full bore. We cant really cross ventilate well though. My hope is in the next shop we can just open opposit sides and have a nice cross breeze...

Offline dirkdiggler

• Gonzo Member
« Reply #12 on: July 11, 2019, 09:44:44 AM »
100 degrees here, blazing hot!  Air vent blowing on head of operator only.  SOOOO hottt!  Georgia heat and humidity are SOOOO HOTTT!
If he gets up, we'll all get up, IT'LL BE ANARCHY!-John Bender

Offline Doug S

• Gonzo Member
« Reply #13 on: July 11, 2019, 09:46:52 AM »
Our shop reaches 115 this time of year.  We really change our staging so that we can have everything ready the night before so that we can hopefully be done printing by 10 in the morning.  We started at 4:30 this morning.  Every once in a while we get trapped into printing all day and that's a killer.   

Dirk, I'm right there with you as far as humidity in Southeast Arkansas.
It's not a job if you love doing it.

Offline Croft

« Reply #14 on: July 11, 2019, 10:26:09 AM »
I bite the bullet and use air on any days over 30* celsius and high humidity, found in the summer it may cost $150-$250 extra a month in electricity but is well worth the production numbers.