Author Topic: Laser Sublimation people - what will you use now?  (Read 785 times)

Offline BrazosDesigns

Laser Sublimation people - what will you use now?
« on: June 25, 2019, 06:14:16 PM »
In November/December of each year I do about 1250-1500 plaques for some regional events, and each plaque has a top piece that is 4.5" x 4.5" with the regional design and then a separate customized student name plate on the bottom.  For the last 20 years I have been using black laser jet sublimation toner in various HP printers and printing the sheets, heat pressing each satin gold sublimation metal plate, etc. etc.  Worked out great, was quick, no mess...

My main vendor (alpha supply) and others are now telling me that there is no more black laser sublimation toner for HP printers, or pretty much any other laser printer.

Question:  So what are you guys using now?  Are there alternatives?  I know I could get an inkjet sub printer, but man that is slow as you have to peel the plastic film off, tape the transfer, heat for like a minute or more, etc.   With laser, I subbed right through the plastic sheet on the metal, let it cool, then ripped it off and ready for the next, not to mention it only needed about 20-30 seconds on the heat press.

I have toyed around with having the top plate printed with an enamel ink and then only having to sub the name plates.   What ink would you recommend for that?

I'm glad I checked with my vendor this far in advance as I usually just wait until my cartridge is out!

As always, I appreciate any input.