Author Topic: Dye Sublimation Printers - Sawgrass VJ628 or Mutoh RJ-90X  (Read 773 times)

Offline zanegun08

Dye Sublimation Printers - Sawgrass VJ628 or Mutoh RJ-90X
« on: August 26, 2019, 04:05:19 PM »
For a certain customer we are going to start doing sublimation as to get their bulk of embroidery business.

Currently they use a Mutoh RJ-900X, but for what we need to do for them (apparel) we don't need 48", so looking at 24" options.

I'm between the Sawgrass VJ628 https://www.sawgrassink.com/Products/printers/Sawgrass-VJ-628-Inkjet-Printer

and Mutoh RJ-90X http://www.inkjetbiz.com/mutoh-rj-901x-24-4-color-dye-sub-printer-p/p-002-rj-901x.htm

Sort of looking to mirror what they do, so the Mutoh would work great, however wondering if would get better results from something like the Sawgrass VJ628 with the CMYK+OBFPFY or richer / faster results with the Dual CMYK.

Mutoh is lower cost of entry, as well as has refillable ink cartridges so lower ink costs in the long run.

However knowing nothing about sublimation, will I get much better results with something like the Sawgrass or something with an expanded color gamut.  The images we will be doing will be more like screen print graphics applied to light colored polyester goods rather than photo realistic prints on aluminum or something and don't really want to get into doing photo prints or other promotional items, strictly looking to do apparel decently.

Let me know if you have any input or knowledge of these printers.

Thanks in advance!  Sublimation is not preferred to me because I don't like polyester shirts, but sometimes you gotta give in a little to get more business elsewhere.

Offline cbjamel

• Gonzo Member
Re: Dye Sublimation Printers - Sawgrass VJ628 or Mutoh RJ-90X
« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2019, 12:05:40 PM »
Contact conde they are a leader in dye sub. dyetrans.com
Shane

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

Offline aauusa

Re: Dye Sublimation Printers - Sawgrass VJ628 or Mutoh RJ-90X
« Reply #2 on: August 27, 2019, 02:56:15 PM »
the main question you should ask is about service when it breaks.  Mutoh are pretty much self serve and have great sales people who know the machine and can help trouble shoot.  never looked at the sawgrass,  our epson is only serviced by a expensive tech you have to have some out as there is no aftermarket help in getting them running