Author Topic: Health&Safety improvements-screen recycling & washout  (Read 1882 times)

Offline Rockers

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
Health&Safety improvements-screen recycling & washout
« on: July 19, 2019, 12:10:34 AM »
This is one area where we could do more I think. What are my fellow shop owners doing in this regard?  Do you have you crew wear mask with certain type of filters when recycling screens? If so what filters do you recommend? Are there any ceiling fans in your screen recycling area that bring fresh air in and evacuate "used" air? Anything else that can be done to make this area more safe for the staff?

Offline tonypep

• Ludicrous Speed Member
Re: Health&Safety improvements-screen recycling & washout
« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2019, 10:38:48 AM »
All this just remember it is generally not approved to have employees share masks, filters, and gloves.

Offline mk162

• Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2019, 10:49:33 AM »
All this just remember it is generally not approved to have employees share masks, filters, and gloves.

What about needles?  Is that OK?

Also, it is kind of gross to share a mask with someone else.  We buy the cartridge style ones, they aren't terribly expensive online usually.  Everybody writes their names on them and we replace them when it's required.

Offline tonypep

• Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #3 on: July 19, 2019, 11:27:21 AM »
When these things need to be replaced is highly subjective. Charcoal masks are a good option. People can be sensitive in different ways. Some chemicals can cause a tickle in the throat,for instance. Some may require more elaborate equipment. Careful here. Some people are more sensitive to lawsuits than others. That is a different type of sensitivity altogether.

Offline Rockers

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #4 on: July 22, 2019, 12:00:33 AM »
Would never do that. Gosh just the thought of it makes me feel sick.

But fun aside, considering the screen reclaiming process blows so many different types of chemical components into the air I`m really not sure what type of cartridge to get for our respiratory masks?

Offline mk162

• Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #5 on: July 22, 2019, 09:53:07 AM »
Would never do that. Gosh just the thought of it makes me feel sick.

But fun aside, considering the screen reclaiming process blows so many different types of chemical components into the air I`m really not sure what type of cartridge to get for our respiratory masks?

Most of what gets blown into the air is particulate, a simple dust mask works for that...the problem are the VOC's and such in the chemicals themselves.  I recommend a charcoal filter cartridge style mask they use in the paint and body industry.  Preferably with replaceable cartridges.  Some are permanent.

If in doubt contact the manufacturer of your worst chemicals and see what they recommend...

Offline Zelko-4-EVA

« Reply #6 on: July 22, 2019, 10:48:27 AM »
our reclaim area is quite a large open area so we dont have much more than a fan blowing fresh air toward the area. 

when i looked into respirators this is what i found out:

employees would have to be evaluated by a doctor to make sure the resistance from the respirator filters wouldnt affect the employees oxygen intake.
respirators would have to be fit tested to each employee to make sure they fit correctly - ive seen this done with a hood and a banana scent.   the employee would smell banana if the mask leaks...
respirators can not be exchanged between employees.
respirators should be disassembled at the end of the day - cleaned out with soap/water and then dried.  filters should be placed in a bag for the next day (or else the charcoal will keep absorbing chemicals and "expire")

what i ended up doing:

moved to a safer ink remover, emulsion remover, and procedure to keep the pressure washer from blowing the chemical into the air. - low pressure rinse and then high pressure to wash away. 

in any case, the N95 charcoal filters would work fine for reclaim.  make sure the masks and goggles will fit together - or use a face shield. 

proper procedure should be remembered for putting on protective equipment:

mask
eye wear (anything from goggles to face shield)
apron
gloves

remove protective equipment in the reverse order.  this will keep the chemicals off your face.  - basically dont get the inky chemical gloves near your face or on your mask.