Author Topic: Waterbased adhesive application  (Read 2130 times)

Offline ericheartsu

• Gonzo Member
Waterbased adhesive application
« on: July 28, 2019, 04:45:55 PM »
What is the best way to apply pallet adhesive? Currently we are rolling it on with a foam roller, but it's causing some issues. I think it's putting down to much tac, and it's not evaporating correctly, and therefore not sticking for as long as it should.

I've seen alot of people use spreader cards, and I've tried that too, but it never seems consistent.

I've also tried putting multiple layers on, but again, i'm wondering if it's not consistent, is that causing problems.

Any insight?
Night Owls
Waterbased screen printing and promo products.
www.nightowlsprint.com 281.741.7285

Offline mimosatexas

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
  • contributor
Re: Waterbased adhesive application
« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2019, 05:47:40 PM »
i tried a bunch of ways.  the fastest, cleanest, and most consistent for us is a 32oz squeeze bottle, put on in a quick spiral, then using a test shirt to basically rub it around the platen for even coverage.  excess glue is soaked into the shirt, no lines or streaks, no dripping off of a card, etc.

another thing some of my guys swear by for extending the glue is putting the roller squeegee in head one with 100psi or so of pressure and basically pressing the shirt into the glue before it gets printed.  seems to almost double the life of the glue before it needs a quick refresh scrub.

Offline BrazosDesigns

« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2019, 07:30:23 PM »
I put the tac in a squirt bottle 1/2 full, fill rest with water, shake. 

For new tape, round 1: pour size of a quarter (or slightly more) of tac on pallet, use card to spread around, run under flash.  round 2: another size of quarter of tac, use a corner of a shirt that is wet (moist) and then spread it around, flash.  Good to go.

For renewing, run under flash, then use a squirt bottle of water and scrub brush to clean off, then flash, then do 'round 2' from above every other cleaning.  Hasn't let me down.

Now for hoodies, that's a different story......full strength, roller brush, and a beer.

Offline Frog

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
  • Docendo discimus
« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2019, 07:37:13 PM »
Eric, by "consistency", do you mean even distribution? Perhaps the addition of a little food color would help you to at least see what's going down. Brad likes the foaming colored bath tablets for this.  ;D
That rug really tied the room together, did it not?

Offline ericheartsu

• Gonzo Member
« Reply #4 on: July 29, 2019, 09:40:19 AM »
Eric, by "consistency", do you mean even distribution? Perhaps the addition of a little food color would help you to at least see what's going down. Brad likes the foaming colored bath tablets for this.  ;D

We've actually been putting in food dye coloring. it's really helpful in identifying where there ISN'T Adhesive. And truthfully, I think my guys are just not spreading it carefully enough.
Night Owls

Offline ericheartsu

• Gonzo Member
« Reply #5 on: July 29, 2019, 09:40:54 AM »
i tried a bunch of ways.  the fastest, cleanest, and most consistent for us is a 32oz squeeze bottle, put on in a quick spiral, then using a test shirt to basically rub it around the platen for even coverage.  excess glue is soaked into the shirt, no lines or streaks, no dripping off of a card, etc.

another thing some of my guys swear by for extending the glue is putting the roller squeegee in head one with 100psi or so of pressure and basically pressing the shirt into the glue before it gets printed.  seems to almost double the life of the glue before it needs a quick refresh scrub.

I haven't tried the tshirt method. I'll give that a shot! thanks!
Night Owls

Offline easyrider1340

« Reply #6 on: July 29, 2019, 10:05:29 AM »
I put the tac in a squirt bottle 1/2 full, fill rest with water, shake. 

For new tape, round 1: pour size of a quarter (or slightly more) of tac on pallet, use card to spread around, run under flash.  round 2: another size of quarter of tac, use a corner of a shirt that is wet (moist) and then spread it around, flash.  Good to go.

For renewing, run under flash, then use a squirt bottle of water and scrub brush to clean off, then flash, then do 'round 2' from above every other cleaning.  Hasn't let me down.

Now for hoodies, that's a different story......full strength, roller brush, and a beer.

This is my method as well.

Terry
http://www.AllegiantGraphics.com
https://www.Facebook.com/AllegiantGraphics
https://www.Instagram.com/AllegiantGraphics
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline tonypep

• Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #7 on: July 29, 2019, 01:48:12 PM »
Another way is to use the "disposable" scrubbies usually used for screen use. Soak and rewet for application. Different brushes may be used to remove lint and will normally allow for longevity. Water and flashing and time is required but usually worth it. I recall two months of non reapplication

Offline CBCB

• !!!
« Reply #8 on: July 29, 2019, 02:31:09 PM »
Yes we do the roller to push it down. Helps a ton. Have done 100 fleece pfp without wiping platens.

We spread it with what is called a grout float. It’s got soft rubber on it like an m&r platen. Kinda like a scrape card but way better.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline mimosatexas

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
  • contributor
« Reply #9 on: July 29, 2019, 05:25:25 PM »
ball up the shirt pretty tight into itself and use the smooth bottom of the ball to spread the glue, if that makes sense.  I usually wear a glove just in case.  I hate getting the tac on my hands.

we remove lint with spray bottle misting of water and a red scrub brush on a handle.  we usually two man it, so loader and unloader are each doing a platen at the same time.  goes pretty quick.  on our 10 station with the roller in the first head we can get about 1000 triblends without needing to refresh, more if the shirts are cotton.  we usually try to refresh every 500 or so if possible though just to prevent issues.  i think we go weeks without refreshing glue usually unless absolutely necessary.  fleece jobs and some brands make it necessary a lot sooner of course...

Offline ericheartsu

• Gonzo Member
« Reply #10 on: July 29, 2019, 08:24:33 PM »
ball up the shirt pretty tight into itself and use the smooth bottom of the ball to spread the glue, if that makes sense.  I usually wear a glove just in case.  I hate getting the tac on my hands.

we remove lint with spray bottle misting of water and a red scrub brush on a handle.  we usually two man it, so loader and unloader are each doing a platen at the same time.  goes pretty quick.  on our 10 station with the roller in the first head we can get about 1000 triblends without needing to refresh, more if the shirts are cotton.  we usually try to refresh every 500 or so if possible though just to prevent issues.  i think we go weeks without refreshing glue usually unless absolutely necessary.  fleece jobs and some brands make it necessary a lot sooner of course...

crazy. we def. added glue after around 500 shirts today, but to be fair, we were doing some poly cotton tees!
Night Owls

Offline Biverson

« Reply #11 on: July 29, 2019, 09:08:39 PM »
I've used most all the methods above. The best for me has been a grill brush. I put some adhesive on the pallet in a zig-zag and use the scrub side of the brush to spread it. When I go forward I never have it flat on the pallet and keep the front up so the adhesive remains under the scrubby. I found that when I kept the brush flat its more likely to spray the adhesive off the end of the pallet and get on press or the floor. When I'm done with my "push" stroke I put the tip down, lift the back up and pull. I repeat this rocking motion  across the pallet. This has helped me keep it from spraying. I've used the same grill brush for the last 4 years. It will eventually build up a layer of tack on the scrubby that will help with application. I used the bristle end to run across the pallet and pickup lint and thread on reapplications. I use the scraper to really get it flat.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

Brett - Pioneer Print Co.
www.idoshirts.com

Offline tonypep

• Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #12 on: July 29, 2019, 10:05:41 PM »
brilliant!