Author Topic: Wilflex red turning pinkish/orangish  (Read 1741 times)

Offline Doug S

• Gonzo Member
Wilflex red turning pinkish/orangish
« on: July 30, 2019, 08:18:57 AM »
Ok, I've had this problem before.  Everytime I have a wilflex red over an underbase it turns vintage orange or reddish if it's stepped on.  I was using the equalizer system and switched to the rio system thinking that would make a difference.  Is there anyway to combat that other than making it the last color in the print order?  It's not just the red but that's the color I notice the most. 

Details:  I'm using quick white for the ub on a 225, and the top colors on 280's.  All of them have been coated 2/2 using murakami t9.  I'm printing an 8 color sim process on a 10 color sportsman so I don't have room for another flash.  I'm trying to avoid revolving on a 300 pc run but if I can't get this red right, I'll have to.
It's not a job if you love doing it.

Offline Colin

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
  • Ink and Chemical Product Manager
Re: Wilflex red turning pinkish/orangish
« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2019, 09:05:47 AM »
All colors will thin out/lighten up when over printing an underbase.  This is because of how thin the ink layer is in relation to pigment load.  This is exacerbated when we print wet on wet.

The solution is to mix a deeper shade of that color and see if it meets expectations.  The same thing will happen with gold shades, the red will diminish, visually, when printed.  So increase the amount of red in the ink and it looks correct over the white plate, but not in the container.
Been in the industry since 1996.  5+ years with QCM Inks.  Been a part of shops of all sizes and abilities both as a printer and as an Artist/separator.  I am now the Ink and Chemical Product Manager at Ryonet.

Offline Doug S

• Gonzo Member
« Reply #2 on: July 30, 2019, 09:20:33 AM »
Colin, thanks!  I'll remember that..  Just taking the time to ask goes a long ways.  Have a good one.
It's not a job if you love doing it.

Offline mimosatexas

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
  • contributor
« Reply #3 on: July 30, 2019, 09:41:03 AM »
We try to print Reds last in the wet-on-wet order, just before the Flash.
« Last Edit: August 17, 2019, 12:57:13 PM by mimosatexas »

Offline tonypep

• Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #4 on: July 30, 2019, 02:22:37 PM »
I would look at the formula first. Reds are prone to shifting. Many ink companies that offer RFUs try to be a one size fits all but fact of the matter is they just don't always work on all substrates and applications.

Offline ABuffington

« Reply #5 on: July 30, 2019, 04:48:50 PM »
I've seen this with different inks, but our base had a bleeding agent that bleached the color printed over it.  It gave a killer turquoise after curing, but we had royal in the screen!
Alan Buffington
Murakami Screen USA  - Technical Support and Sales
www.murakamiscreen.com

Offline 1964GN

« Reply #6 on: August 01, 2019, 07:13:18 AM »
All good advise. We just printed this. Scarlet Red Rio mix flashed. Then 2 blues, black, and highlight last

Offline 1964GN

« Reply #7 on: August 01, 2019, 07:14:36 AM »
All good advise. We just printed this. Scarlet Red Rio mix flashed. Then 2 blues, black, and highlight last. Shitty pick. We try and flash reds, royals when we can depending on the amount of coverage.