Author Topic: Zerk fitting not taking grease?  (Read 892 times)

Offline Nation03

• Gonzo Member
  • The Dude abides.
Zerk fitting not taking grease?
« on: July 31, 2019, 08:58:00 AM »
Do these grease fittings go bad? Trying to lube the center shaft on my press and both zerks seem to just ooze the grease out and I'm worried I'm not getting any grease where it needs to be. Seems like a simple thing to change out but I just wanted to see if anyone has had this issue. Thanks!

Offline Homer

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
...keep doing what you're doing, you'll only get what you've got...

Offline Frog

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
  • Docendo discimus
Re: Zerk fitting not taking grease?
« Reply #2 on: July 31, 2019, 09:55:06 AM »
If it's not the gun, though they can wear out, zerk fittings can also, more commonly clog. Usually from old grease. Common method of unclogging would be to heat it up with a hair dryer, and then while the old grease is softened from the heat, give it a shot with the grease gun. There are also high pressure guns which can do the trick as well as a cleaning tool like this on Amazon https://www.amazon.com/Alemite-339841-Zerk-Mate-Fitting-Cleaner/dp/B009K58B98
That rug really tied the room together, did it not?

Offline 3Deep

• !!!
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #3 on: July 31, 2019, 11:35:23 AM »
Hold the grease gun tip firm to the zerk fitting and pump, most likely clogged, mine have done that because the grease fitting tip wasn't tight enough.
Life is like Kool-Aid, gotta add sugar/hardwork to make it sweet!!

Offline farmboygraphics

« Reply #4 on: July 31, 2019, 12:22:35 PM »
If you replace it keep in mind that some are pressed in and some are threaded. Center shaft is prob threaded but good to know before you buy a replacement.
Tees and Coffee

Offline Nation03

• Gonzo Member
  • The Dude abides.
« Reply #5 on: July 31, 2019, 02:06:26 PM »
Awesome thanks for all the info everyone! The gun seems to work on other fittings so it might be a clog. I'll try all the suggestions.

Thanks again.

Offline Nation03

• Gonzo Member
  • The Dude abides.
« Reply #6 on: July 31, 2019, 02:21:06 PM »

Offline Atownsend

• !!!
« Reply #7 on: July 31, 2019, 08:49:54 PM »
Lock n lube rules on the grease gun. Good buy. Be very careful not to cross thread the new zerk fitting. Good to have a box of zerks on hand with different angles. Put those in on the mandatory spare parts list. Harbor freight has a good variety pack.

Offline Nation03

• Gonzo Member
  • The Dude abides.
« Reply #8 on: August 01, 2019, 07:42:41 AM »
Lock n lube rules on the grease gun. Good buy. Be very careful not to cross thread the new zerk fitting. Good to have a box of zerks on hand with different angles. Put those in on the mandatory spare parts list. Harbor freight has a good variety pack.

Good Call. I need to build an "Emergency First Aid Kit" for my equipment. Been lucky so far but who knows what'll happen.

Offline jsheridan

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #9 on: August 02, 2019, 01:55:23 PM »
This tool helps to unclog zerks. Used to have to use one on the heavy equipment back in the day.

https://www.mcmaster.com/#zerk-tube-fittings/=f61ff6b98199443ab96874913bb02a78jyuer0gg
Blacktop Graphics Screenprinting and Consulting Services

Offline Nation03

• Gonzo Member
  • The Dude abides.
« Reply #10 on: August 02, 2019, 02:03:24 PM »
Nice, thanks! I used the locking coupler today and it seemed to do the trick. Saw the grease start to break on the top and bottom of the center shaft and had minimal oozing out of the zerk itself. Just a little oozed out after I removed the coupler but I might have over greased. I feel a little better knowing the grease is getting through now.