Author Topic: Ink bleeding on film  (Read 1068 times)

Offline rmonks

• !!!
Ink bleeding on film
« on: August 07, 2019, 02:44:56 PM »
I been meaning to ask this for a while. I use an EPSON 3000 and a 1100 to print film for my screen printing. I have always had a problem with the ink migrating / bleeding out into the film over time usually within a week or two, which in turn means the film is then trash and cannot be used for future screen making. Is it my film? I can't cut back on the ink as I won't get the opacity I need.  JUST ASKING

Offline Maxie

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
Re: Ink bleeding on film
« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2019, 03:05:35 PM »
If you use a program like Accurip you can set the ink deposit so it will be dark enough without spreading.
Could also be that your ink is not compatible with the film.
Maxie Garb.
T Max Designs.
Silk Screen Printers
www.tmax.co.il

Offline Frog

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
  • Docendo discimus
« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2019, 03:19:47 PM »
I use a WF1100, with film from Fixxons and Pigment ink from Cobra. No problems.
What are you using?
That rug really tied the room together, did it not?

Offline screenxpress

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #3 on: August 07, 2019, 07:26:30 PM »
I use an Epson 1100 and Fixxons film and the ink never bleeds and I've got film setting around from years past.

Almost sounds like using the wrong film (waterproof/non-waterproof) or God Forbid, printing on the wrong side of the film.  I have to lick my finger and touch the film myself to make sure I'm going to print on the 'sticky' side, lol.

Oh, and I do NOT use any high-end RIP like Accurip.  I print using GhostRip or direct from Corel.
« Last Edit: August 07, 2019, 07:28:46 PM by screenxpress »
Anything important is never left to the vote of the people. We only get to vote on some man; we never get to vote on what he is to do.  Will Rogers

Offline rmonks

• !!!
« Reply #4 on: August 07, 2019, 08:05:48 PM »
I use fixxons and Max Black Bulk . I use filmmaker v4 maybe I can try to adjust the ink there again.

Offline Frog

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
  • Docendo discimus
« Reply #5 on: August 07, 2019, 08:17:28 PM »
I should say as well that I am outputting directly from CorelDRAW or Photoshop, using only tweaked printer settings, no RIP.

Offline BrazosDesigns

« Reply #6 on: August 07, 2019, 10:16:59 PM »
I had this problem for a while also.   I use an epson 4800 and 4880 for films, used inkjetcarts.us hybrid screen ink (until recently when I changed to the Cobra screen black), and had those problems, then realized it was the humidity and temp in the shop.  I then brought the films into the office the same day after burning the screens and haven't had a problem since.   So, check the environmental temp and humidity.

I just picked up a used Epson T3270 yesterday, so now I get to learn a new machine for printing.  I'll eventually turn it into a film (photo black with cobra screen black), and then use the c/m/y/matte black with sublimation ink.  Fingers crossed!

Offline Sbrem

• Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #7 on: August 08, 2019, 10:25:15 AM »
We've been running the T3270 for a couple of years now, and we use AccuRIP, one channel printing only. They may not look dark enough to the eye, but they block the light, which the important part. As for ink spreading, the ink and film combo needs to match, dye based ink on dye based film, and vice versa.

Steve
I made a mistake once; I thought I was wrong about something; I wasn't

Offline Frog

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
  • Docendo discimus
« Reply #8 on: August 08, 2019, 10:53:59 AM »
We've been running the T3270 for a couple of years now, and we use AccuRIP, one channel printing only. They may not look dark enough to the eye, but they block the light, which the important part. As for ink spreading, the ink and film combo needs to match, dye based ink on dye based film, and vice versa.

Steve

In my limited experience, some years back (in the days when the Epson 3000 pretty much ruled), non "waterproof" films were the most common, and defiinitely worked better with dye inks. As the frosty "waterproof"  films gained ground, they also seemed to exhibit a tolerance of pigment inks.
Today, screen print films like Fixxons specifically declare their compatibilty with either type of ink. For that matter, both types of ink seem to have their followers in the photo paper print game as well. Often, it's up to the printer which ink is best. Though historically, photo printing was the realm of dye ink, some of the current higher end photo printers have made the switch to pigment based inks for their fade resistance.