Author Topic: When Art's NOT Fun....  (Read 4697 times)

Offline theMadArtist

• Creativity Makes the Difference!
When Art's NOT Fun....
« on: August 11, 2019, 12:38:35 PM »
Budget is usually the biggest factor in getting work- so I TRY to let the client set it, and do my best for whatever it may be.
However, often, they INSIST you state a price...then never answer back. Such as with this, which came in last week.
Feel free to try to land this job, if you're a fellow artist- and lotsa luck if you do!

Hello,

I am looking for someone with your skills who can help me to sketch out an idea that I have and graphically create it. The image that I want designed is the biblical scene of Jesus in front of Pontius Pilate. This image has been painted by Antonio Ciseri, and it is called Ecce Homo (I have attached a picture to this email). I would like a custom version of this painting in which the perspective would not be facing the backs of the people but the direct front and faces of the people. Also, I would like it to be in that classical/Renaissance style.
I know this picture has a lot of details in it, but are you able to create this image for me? 
I would appreciate your help.

Thanks,
Travis Epps

My response~

I can do it, buuuuuttttttt- it may likely be more than you’d be willing to pay; for to capture that quality, it would take at LEAST a week painting it in Photoshop- after a sketch is approved.
And I don’t wish to take a chance of not being paid for that time.
How much are you willing to put INTO this project?

Mike, the Mad Artist

His response~

I am not familiar with the rate of pay for custom graphic designs. I understand this is a very detailed and time consuming design. How much do you think this should cost?

Thanks,
Travis Epps

My reply~

$800-if a Photoshop painting.
A simpler 1 or 2 color vector graphic $2-300.

No further reply from him.
How would you fellow artists deal with this?

That's quite a request- to do a similar painting of that caliber!

Custom Art done FAST! And within your Budget...
theMadArtist.org
(253)652-4443

themadartist@live.com

Offline tonypep

• Ludicrous Speed Member
Re: When Art's NOT Fun....
« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2019, 02:27:58 PM »
Fourteen colors after the UBase. Huge project but it has been done. Watch the minimums. To me, this would fall into the thousands. The pre-op alone can put some in the negative.

Offline Dottonedan

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
  • Email me at art@designsbydottone.com
« Reply #2 on: August 11, 2019, 04:41:12 PM »
Yea, I'm thinking in my head, $800-$1000.00 min. Then, I'd have to up the price more just because it's Jesus we're talking about painting. Gotta give that your bestest best. But then be sure to tithe on Sunday.  LOL.
Artist & Sim Process separator, Co owner of The Shirt Board, Past M&R Digital tech installer for I-Image machines. Over 28 yrs in the apparel industry. Apparel sales, http://www.designsbydottone.com  e-mail art@designsbydottone.com 615-821-7850

Offline theMadArtist

« Reply #3 on: August 11, 2019, 05:24:38 PM »
Thanks, guys!
It's nice to know I wasn't going further over the Deep End than usual!

theMadArtist.org
(253)652-4443

themadartist@live.com

Online mk162

• Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #4 on: August 12, 2019, 08:29:59 AM »
The only thing I would critique is not saying to a customer that you worry about not getting paid unless that has been a problem with this customer before.  It would rub me the wrong way if right off the bat somebody says, "I don't think you can pay for this."

Shoot him a price, even if it's a little high.  Let him know your payment terms and move on.

Offline GraphicDisorder

• !!!
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
  • Bottom Feeder
« Reply #5 on: August 12, 2019, 08:40:07 AM »
Your first reply generated the result you landed on. You basically told him his idea was too much work, would cost too much and you don't think he will pay you.

So he didn't.
Brandt | Graphic Disorder | www.GraphicDisorder.com
@GraphicDisorder - Instagram | Facebook | Twitter | Youtube

Offline tonypep

• Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #6 on: August 12, 2019, 10:23:29 AM »
Not too long ago I was commissioned to reproduce an authentic Civil War painting. Cracks and all. The customer owned the painting. The shirts were for his yacht crews for an upcoming regatta. We tried to talk him into a DTG but he would have nothing of that. Joe D was sent the painting and he scanned and gave a twelve color plus UB and a bill. All in all, the massive quantity of 25 shirts cost around $200. each. He paid without flinching. And yes, the customer was returned the painting undamaged. It is rare, but it happens.

Offline theMadArtist

« Reply #7 on: August 12, 2019, 01:05:49 PM »
Thanks for the suggestions! It's weird how different people react to the same words!~
I feel a need to be honest- and everyone knows how "beauty is in the eyes of the holder"- so I was letting him know WHY the cost might be higher than he expected.

I would appreciate that if the roles were reversed?

Any of you land that job?
theMadArtist.org
(253)652-4443

themadartist@live.com

Offline GraphicDisorder

• !!!
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
  • Bottom Feeder
« Reply #8 on: August 12, 2019, 02:14:37 PM »
Thanks for the suggestions! It's weird how different people react to the same words!~
I feel a need to be honest- and everyone knows how "beauty is in the eyes of the holder"- so I was letting him know WHY the cost might be higher than he expected.

Never judge a book by the cover. My buddy walked in to a Rolls Royce dealer right off the beach sun burned, in swim trunks, tank and flip flops.  He was not helped for awhile. Finally someone asked him basically if he was lost.

He bought a 400k car all cash wire transfer. He's went on to buy dozens of cars there. He isn't asked if he's lost anymore.

Offline theMadArtist

« Reply #9 on: August 12, 2019, 09:22:09 PM »
-
theMadArtist.org
(253)652-4443

themadartist@live.com

Online mk162

• Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #10 on: August 13, 2019, 09:09:38 AM »
Never judge a book by the cover. My buddy walked in to a Rolls Royce dealer right off the beach sun burned, in swim trunks, tank and flip flops.  He was not helped for awhile. Finally someone asked him basically if he was lost.

He bought a 400k car all cash wire transfer. He's went on to buy dozens of cars there. He isn't asked if he's lost anymore.

Sorry, I disagree...if a book has Fabio in a half-torn shirt on the cover, it's probably not my kind of novel. ;)

Offline GraphicDisorder

• !!!
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
  • Bottom Feeder
« Reply #11 on: August 13, 2019, 09:42:09 AM »

Sorry, I disagree...if a book has Fabio in a half-torn shirt on the cover, it's probably not my kind of novel. ;)

;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

Offline Sbrem

• Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #12 on: August 13, 2019, 01:09:38 PM »

A bunch of years ago I was in a high end guitar store, with $4K in cash in my pocket, similarly dressed, and no one even gave me a glance. A guy comes in dressed as though he's on a lunch break from a "professional" job, suit and tie and all, and 2 people fawned all over him. He starts to play, and is essentially a raw beginner. Sigh, see you later folks.

Steve
I made a mistake once; I thought I was wrong about something; I wasn't

Offline 3Deep

• !!!
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #13 on: August 13, 2019, 02:58:09 PM »
but is that not the way of the world judge before you know what your judging ;)
Life is like Kool-Aid, gotta add sugar/hardwork to make it sweet!!

Offline Sbrem

• Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #14 on: August 13, 2019, 05:26:57 PM »
but is that not the way of the world judge before you know what your judging ;)

And, recognized when you're being judged...

Steve
I made a mistake once; I thought I was wrong about something; I wasn't