Author Topic: Epson T3270 (5270, etc) users - Film and sublimation question  (Read 581 times)

Offline BrazosDesigns

Epson T3270 (5270, etc) users - Film and sublimation question
« on: August 21, 2019, 06:22:29 PM »
Hi all,

Just finished getting my T3270 setup with Sublimation and film ink.  I put screen black ink in the photo black cartridge, and sublimation c/m/y/k in the c/y/m/matte black cartridge.   I printed some test films with 'Premium glossy photo paper (250)' straight from Corel using black settings and I think some of the matte black was printed with the photo black (screen ink).   I DO NOT have accurip.

So, what settings do you use for printing films without accurip on the T3270?   Do I really need to get accurip?  On my 4800/4880 I have no problem printing dense without accurip using a single channel black and 7 clear cleaning.

For sublimation, what settings do you use?  I have TexPrintXPHR and also the TexPrint thermotack.   Matte single weight at 720x720?

Thanks for any settings advice you can give.  You all are always on point with everything.

-Darren

Offline cbjamel

• Gonzo Member
Re: Epson T3270 (5270, etc) users - Film and sublimation question
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2019, 10:08:12 PM »
Personally get https://www.cadlink.com/product/filmmaker10/ i have and love for films. i do think you can do both. I use their ink - http://www.filmdirectonline.com/film-positive-cartridges/
Love it.
I have used it in 4800 and now t3270.

Shane

Offline Maxie

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2019, 11:40:30 PM »
I have the same set up but use Accurip, I think you get much better results using it.
Changing the paper setting, glossy or Matt should move between the black ink cartridges.
Maxie Garb.
T Max Designs.
Silk Screen Printers
www.tmax.co.il

Offline farmboygraphics

« Reply #3 on: August 22, 2019, 10:50:42 AM »
Not to be an a$$, but why not just get accurip? I just got the T3270 a few months ago, installed the new software and was off to the races no problem. Cost money, but everything does. :-)
Tees and Coffee

Offline Frog

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
  • Docendo discimus
« Reply #4 on: August 22, 2019, 12:16:13 PM »
In defense of those who don't have any of the popular commercially available RIPs. We don't all have the need for halftones, and with correct settings, and ink, and media, most of these printers will print positives plenty dark enough for our needs. (For me on my WF1100, it's as simple as Cobra pigment ink printing Fixxons film in Photo Quality mode with the media set to presentation paper)
Obviously my market and product is different from that of most of you, but I can count on one hand the number of jobs I've run in the last few years that required halftones. For those, I used Ghost.

As I said, this doesn't work for all, and for those it doesn't, the expense of something like Accurip is probably a fine investment.

For the OP and his sublimation, I assume that those inks have a specific profile which should be loaded.
That rug really tied the room together, did it not?

Offline BrazosDesigns

« Reply #5 on: August 22, 2019, 02:01:02 PM »
Thanks for all the replies. 

Like Frog said, 99% of my prints are 1-4 color spot/ub jobs.  Doing films directly from Corel with Cobra screen black ink has worked great on the 4880/4800 for years.  I also purchased SimpleSeps 4 a few years ago and it actually has worked great for the spot jobs and created underbases very easy, and the halftone jobs were printed fine with this.  This has served me well, although it doesn't control the printer like accurip, but with the correct epson settings I had very dark films.

I'd like to get settings setup for the T3270, at least for now, to see if the films will be good without accurip or filmaker, because if the sublimation side takes off, this may end up being more of a dedicated sublimation machine.

Frog - yes, the sublimation inks I have came with a profile.  I load that into Corel/Adobe products and it uses that for color correction.

Regarding Accurip:  I will be getting the trials installed later today.  Separation Studio advertises to have the same rip/printer functions as Accurip.  Anyone use separation studio to print their films?  It seems that if that works, why not get that instead of accurip?  Can someone fill me in if this would serve as a sep program, but also allow me to print from Corel to it to print dark films and halftones?

Thanks!

Darren