Author Topic: Printing on POOL TABLE cloth  (Read 1082 times)

Offline Ross_S

Printing on POOL TABLE cloth
« on: August 17, 2019, 09:54:03 AM »
OK guys anyone done this?  I play a lot of pool and have been asked for years about this.  I gave it a try yesterday using waterbase inks since they will reside in the fabric and not disturb the path of the ball.

The felt takes the heat just fine but it can be scratched off due to the teflon coating of the felt.  So if anyone could give me a tip on this I would greatly appreciate it.  I don't know if the coating can be removed but it seems like that would effect the play of the felt so I'd rather not try that.

Ross

Offline blue moon

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
Re: Printing on POOL TABLE cloth
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2019, 01:54:29 PM »
Did you try discharge?
Pierre
Yes, we've won our share of awards, and yes, I've tested stuff and read the scientific papers, but ultimately take everything I say with more than just a grain of salt! So if you are looking for trouble, just do as I say or even better, do something I said years ago!

Offline Ross_S

« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2019, 09:49:28 AM »
I didn't try discharge because everyone wants black and I don't think I can penetrate it enough but I'll give it a go tomorrow anyways just to see.

Offline numbercruncher

« Reply #3 on: August 19, 2019, 08:38:57 AM »
There are a number of pool table felt manufacturers - I'm not sure they are all made the same or with any topical treatments. Perhaps this might make a difference?  - I do recall (let's say 30 years ago) that Jack Daniels did have there name and logo in white  on black cloth for pool tables.
Michael Jirasek
Independent Consultant
708-227-5084
jirs23m@hotmail.com

Offline screenxpress

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #4 on: August 19, 2019, 01:14:47 PM »
I guess you could reach out to these folks.....to see if they would give up any tips.

https://monsterbreakbilliard.com/custom-pool-table-cloth/?gclid=CjwKCAjwkenqBRBgEiwA-bZVtv1tcX_A9L-jA2g-pHNL9cY3nHJ_ayUjnk1uYwJq5yxvkqD-IefPFBoCv_YQAvD_BwE

You can find others with a Google search with "pool table felt with logo"

On a personal note, back in the days when I did a little hustling, I would have found a print in the middle of the felt terribly distracting.

« Last Edit: August 19, 2019, 01:22:00 PM by screenxpress »
Anything important is never left to the vote of the people. We only get to vote on some man; we never get to vote on what he is to do.  Will Rogers

Offline Maxie

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #5 on: August 22, 2019, 05:40:10 AM »
Try using water based ink, if it hold it will be absorbed by the material.
Maxie Garb.
T Max Designs.
Silk Screen Printers
www.tmax.co.il

Offline rick_stewart

« Reply #6 on: August 27, 2019, 11:52:23 PM »
Twice the idea about water based ink. But I'd recommend to try it on a sample first. Felt is usually made out of wool, which is a natural fiber, though I'm not sure if it would work since you've mentioned a coating. Either print it, let it dry, and don't even worry about curing it - since it won't be washed - or run an iron over it to help it along a bit.
Plus the ink will have a lower profile on the table, which should 1) Have less effect on play, 2) Wear better.

Still, I suppose anything that changes the texture of the covering will affect play immensely. So nope, I won't recommend you to get rid of this coating.

Offline rick_stewart

« Reply #7 on: August 28, 2019, 12:02:31 AM »
But as a checked it quick, it seems like the safest option to print on a pool table cloth is to use mill with dyes.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m7EQWrTdx9M