Author Topic: How would you print this- max. 8 colors  (Read 798 times)

Offline Rockers

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
How would you print this- max. 8 colors
« on: August 20, 2019, 08:24:24 PM »
Got this job to do on black Gildan Premium Cotton tees. Got space for 8 colors incl. white base on our auto.
I don`t seem to get below 9 colors though, my thought is to compromise on the yellow and mix a little yellow in the discharge underbase instead. Or don`t do any yellow at all? Top colors will be all plastisol.

Offline Colin

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
  • Ink and Chemical Product Manager
Re: How would you print this- max. 8 colors
« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2019, 08:37:10 PM »
Colors will be your shade of choice:

base white
red
yellow
royal
lt blue
magenta
highlite white

Did I miss something?
Been in the industry since 1996.  5+ years with QCM Inks.  Been a part of shops of all sizes and abilities both as a printer and as an Artist/separator.  I am now the Ink and Chemical Product Manager at Ryonet.

Offline Dottonedan

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
  • Email me at art@designsbydottone.com
« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2019, 10:14:50 PM »
You could do this  as Colin explained.  But I tend to think with a job like this, and limited colors, That's a lot to pull out of your Yellow, Red and Blue (to make the most of the design...then adding a Lt blue and Magenta.
It can be done, but takes some finesse (working the seps) to draw all of that out and keep punch and detail.  Not the best candidate for an auto sep program unless you are really good at tweaking and adding another 2 hrs to it.If I were you, I'd run it past your guy Rising Sun to see if he can punch it up in that amount of colors.

Artist & Sim Process separator, Co owner of The Shirt Board, Past M&R Digital tech installer for I-Image machines. Over 28 yrs in the apparel industry. Apparel sales, http://www.designsbydottone.com  e-mail art@designsbydottone.com 615-821-7850

Offline mimosatexas

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
  • contributor
« Reply #3 on: August 20, 2019, 11:52:09 PM »
I think i would add a gray, but otherwise basically what colin said.

Offline Rockers

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #4 on: August 21, 2019, 12:24:37 AM »
I need to point out that of course this is a band tee means there is no budget to get this done by a professional separator like Dan or Ben. And not for a run of 100 pcs anyway.

Offline screenxpress

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #5 on: August 21, 2019, 01:45:42 PM »
On August 02, I had somehow saved a copy of this image.  Was this a re-post?   

As there's no budget for a professional separation and just playing around, Ultraseps V3 (Process #3) appeared to do a reasonable job (8 colors) with - Underbase, Yellow, Royal Blue, Light Blue, Red, Magenta, Highlight, Black. 

I know it's not the quality of Dan (and others), but I attached a snapshot of the results.

This used the saved .JPG (72 Pixel/in, 1,327 KB) file of the posted image so might have been better with the original art file.

I increased the Red (Curves) a touch, but not much. 

Update: This original post (output and Channels) used a Screen Capture where the image did not accurately represent the Ultraseps results and was almost blurry.  Below is a .JPG file from PS that is more accurate as to the results.

« Last Edit: August 23, 2019, 05:19:43 PM by screenxpress »
Anything important is never left to the vote of the people. We only get to vote on some man; we never get to vote on what he is to do.  Will Rogers