Author Topic: Screen shifting during set up-M&R Diamondback issue  (Read 1265 times)

Offline Rockers

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
Screen shifting during set up-M&R Diamondback issue
« on: August 22, 2019, 07:50:54 PM »
We found ourself having problems registering screens proper on our Diamondback S now for a while. Yesterday I finally managed top narrow down the area of concern. So when lock the screens in the screen holders they slightly shifty to the right. That is happening on almost every printhead. Press and pallets have been leveled already multiple times since this problem occurred the first time and it did not make any difference. I`m still waiting for someone at M&R to reply to my email but was hoping that I could get some advise here, maybe some of you had similar issues in the past?

Offline brandon

• Gonzo Member
Re: Screen shifting during set up-M&R Diamondback issue
« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2019, 11:22:50 PM »
When locking in are you doing the front and back switches the same time or one before the other. It shouldn't but it can make a difference I have seen and experienced myself

Offline Rockers

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2019, 02:12:20 AM »
When locking in are you doing the front and back switches the same time or one before the other. It shouldn't but it can make a difference I have seen and experienced myself
Hi Brandon, we do both switches at the same time. Diamondback got side clamps :)

Offline brandon

• Gonzo Member
« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2019, 07:29:00 AM »
Hi Brandon, we do both switches at the same time. Diamondback got side clamps :)
That's right they do. I forgot.

Offline farmboygraphics

« Reply #4 on: August 23, 2019, 07:29:58 AM »
Same issue with mine. I lock one side at a time though. Head one is the worst, but the shift is very small. I go back through and check the screens against a base or black print before I start and always have to make tweaks to the screens. On the plus side once they're locked in they're rock solid.
Tees and Coffee

Offline Nation03

• Gonzo Member
  • The Dude abides.
« Reply #5 on: August 23, 2019, 08:01:13 AM »
Are you using a triloc? I do both at the same time as well. I usually always need to do some micro work on multicolor stuff depending on how tight the reg is. I noticed the shurloc EZ frames barley shift, if it all. I think the added weight of them makes a difference and they seem to be more consistently flat than my static frames.

Also, let me know if you have luck with emailing them. I've emailed many times and never got a response back. Calling might be your best bet.

Offline cleveprint

• !!!
« Reply #6 on: August 23, 2019, 09:24:34 AM »
two diamondbacks and agree with the flatness of the screen being this issue most of the time. we have a lot of difference in the statics we have here. some are thinner, some are thicker, some not perfectly flat (probably none!). sometimes they do shift around when locking in. we typically do both at the same time. one at a time seems to make it worse IMO.

Offline Nation03

• Gonzo Member
  • The Dude abides.
« Reply #7 on: August 23, 2019, 09:40:02 AM »
One trick I found that works sometimes is to lock the frame in, then bring the manual knobs down until they are almost touching the metal bars that lock the screen in. Leave just enough distance so that when you unlock the frame it just barely moves in and out of the screen clamps. I find that the shorter the distance the locking bars travel, the less the screen likes to shift. When the bars are all the way up they hit the frames a little more aggressively and make the frame more prone to jumping around. Not a perfect solution but it does seem to help.

Offline farmboygraphics

« Reply #8 on: August 23, 2019, 12:50:19 PM »
One trick I found that works sometimes is to lock the frame in, then bring the manual knobs down until they are almost touching the metal bars that lock the screen in. Leave just enough distance so that when you unlock the frame it just barely moves in and out of the screen clamps. I find that the shorter the distance the locking bars travel, the less the screen likes to shift. When the bars are all the way up they hit the frames a little more aggressively and make the frame more prone to jumping around. Not a perfect solution but it does seem to help.

This
Tees and Coffee

Offline 3Deep

• !!!
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #9 on: August 23, 2019, 02:01:06 PM »
We have a side clamp press and what we do is get the frames registered, then I use the manual locks first and then flip the air locks, this keeps the frame from moving, which they move a little if you air lock one side at a time.
Life is like Kool-Aid, gotta add sugar/hardwork to make it sweet!!

Offline Rockers

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #10 on: August 24, 2019, 03:46:27 AM »
And then today we finally sat down and looked for solutions to this problem. One of my staff suggested to put very thin shims inside one of our screen holders. So if the screen would shift to the right we would add two shim to the right hand side screen holder. Guess what this solved the problem. No screen shifting anylonger. Obviously the screen holders are out of sync. The shims we use are only 0.02 inches thick. We put one at the front and end of the screen holder. See attached image. Try it and let me know if this works for you too.

Offline Nation03

• Gonzo Member
  • The Dude abides.
« Reply #11 on: August 24, 2019, 12:38:41 PM »
Wow, it's crazy how such a thin piece makes the difference. I'd mark which screens give you trouble going forward to see if they're the culprit as well.

Offline Rockers

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #12 on: August 24, 2019, 08:59:43 PM »
Wow, it's crazy how such a thin piece makes the difference. I'd mark which screens give you trouble going forward to see if they're the culprit as well.
We have that happening on all screens, my press does not discriminate, roller frames, statics you name it, they all shift, on most heads to the right. Which actually tells me that the frame holders are probably not aligned proper to the pallets and to each other. Maybe the pallets that where used to level the press and set the off contact were warped.

Offline LoneWolf2

« Reply #13 on: August 25, 2019, 09:18:06 PM »
Need to get the frame holders leveled out again for sure. My diamondback is awful about this. Always has been.

Offline Rockers

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #14 on: September 16, 2019, 02:22:32 AM »
Need to get the frame holders leveled out again for sure. My diamondback is awful about this. Always has been.
I noticed that some of my screen holders are warped. Not sure how that has happened.