Author Topic: Mixing of custom colors-how long does it take you?  (Read 2308 times)

Offline Rockers

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
Mixing of custom colors-how long does it take you?
« on: September 01, 2019, 09:52:57 PM »
I feel at times we could do better when it comes to mixing inks. We use the IMS from Wilflex plus their bases and pigments. At times my staff needs almost 10 minutes to mix one ink. That`s half an hour for 3 different colors. Now myself I can do that faster. I feel like my staff still thinks having each pigment 100% precise is extremely important. What`s acceptable in your shop? I hope your ink departments does better then mine;)

Offline Dottonedan

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
  • Email me at art@designsbydottone.com
Re: Mixing of custom colors-how long does it take you?
« Reply #1 on: September 01, 2019, 10:45:09 PM »
Coming form a shop that does not yet have an ink mixing system, I still call out the PMS colors to give him an idea or target. He gets those by adding this and that and gets (as accurate as we need) within 5 min per color typically. and lets be real, PMS mixes are never 100% dead on anyways. I've worked in shops that ahve used all Union, All Reutland and all Wilflex. I've never come across one that could do all colors exact. We have always needed to go outside the formula a little.   Still, having a formula, (in shops that we had a system) usually took 5 min per (on average) I'd guess.
Artist & Sim Process separator, Co owner of The Shirt Board, Past M&R Digital tech installer for I-Image machines. Over 28 yrs in the apparel industry. Apparel sales, http://www.designsbydottone.com  e-mail art@designsbydottone.com 615-821-7850

Offline Zelko-4-EVA

« Reply #2 on: September 01, 2019, 11:28:10 PM »
we use the IMS with the wilflex PC express.

we print a lot of repeat jobs, we should have the print look 99 percent the same from shirt 1 to shirt 10,000...  the pantone might be slightly off from the book, but its close enough.

i dont know how much time it takes me but i always try to get the pigments exact to the tenth of a gram. i dont buy the "in tolerance" that the computer tells me. if im below the target on one but higher on another but the computer tells me im in tolerance - ehhh....  i think the mix will be slightly different.

i add the base first, white, yellows and then the rest - i like to think it keeps cross contamination down to a minimum.  i always train people to stir the pigments before using - some of the PCs will have solids settled on the bottom.

Offline Doug S

• Gonzo Member
« Reply #3 on: September 02, 2019, 09:27:12 AM »
We use the rio system.  I always try to mix the smallest ink requirement of each mix first and try to get as close to the 100th as possible.  It's easier to mix the smallest first in case I add to much so I can pull some of it back out without grabbing another color with it. 

It takes me approximately 10 minutes per color also.
It's not a job if you love doing it.

Offline Squeegie

• !!!
« Reply #4 on: September 02, 2019, 09:26:13 PM »
We use the Wilflex MX system.  I have never timed myself when mixing a color...but I am sure it is at least 10 minutes or more.

Offline blue moon

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #5 on: September 02, 2019, 11:11:48 PM »
if doing it from the formulas, mixing by hand and that time includes getting the containers, mixing spatulas, printing labels, stirring the ink and cleanup, I would say 10 min is OK. Probably a nit on a long side, but I think 5 is too short so about 7 is probably right.
It's all about managing the press time. Goal would be to not stop the press for mixing ink if your press is utilized 100%. We have somebody from the back mix the inks so the printers don't spend their time on it. If you are not at capacity, just have them do it while not printing. Who ever is not busy when the shirts are coming down the belt, can go and mix the inks for tomorrow.
Every shop is different though, so I am sure you can figure out something that will work for you. Maybe start by telling them that 10 min is too long and they should try to do it in 5 and see what happens.
pierre
Yes, we've won our share of awards, and yes, I've tested stuff and read the scientific papers, but ultimately take everything I say with more than just a grain of salt! So if you are looking for trouble, just do as I say or even better, do something I said years ago!

Online farmboygraphics

« Reply #6 on: September 03, 2019, 07:20:29 AM »
Maybe start by telling them that 10 min is too long and they should try to do it in 5 and see what happens.
pierre

Probably mixing another quart of ink :-D

10 mins is not to bad. Are you charging the customer for the service?
Tees and Coffee

Offline TheInkJedi

• Verified/Junior
  • Ink Dept. for Coed Sportswear
« Reply #7 on: September 03, 2019, 08:36:50 AM »
    Our shop uses Rutland M3 sytem, and it usually takes me 10-15 min. per ink. I could be faster if I were able to rearrange my area so that I didn't have to walk an isle to get each core ink, but alas I don't have the space to reorganize. Also, I try to mix exactly to the formula. I do this largely for two reasons. One, is due to working in a quasi-corporate setting. A wise man always covers their butt in case something goes wrong, and Two, just how I roll. 
    I also have the added advantage of not being on press most of the time, so I can get ahead of the presses and have inks mixed before they need them. Just like preping a kitchen. If I get caught off guard, I can mix it quick while they are setting up. As such, I can usually take my sweet time. As was said above, it's all about keeping the presses running.   
"Each problem that I solved became a rule, which served afterwards to solve other problems." ~ Rene Descartes

Offline Sbrem

• Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #8 on: September 03, 2019, 09:58:08 AM »
I also think 10 minutes is reasonable, though some are easy if not needed to be too precise. My second job I ever printed needed forest green, and we didn't have it. So, Kelly and Black, added slowly of course, was real quick. Later, we would use our fingers to mix colors on a white table to learn how to pick the right bases, later, we went with Union's MaxOpaque system, and have been there since. I am trying to introduce the newer water base concepts here, so we may have to have the same issues to get started. But formulas and an accurate scale certainly speed it all up. They just need more practice to get confident.

Steve
I made a mistake once; I thought I was wrong about something; I wasn't

Offline BRGtshirts

« Reply #9 on: September 03, 2019, 11:23:27 PM »
Also agreed.. If 10 minutes includes the pulling up the formula, gathering supplies, weighing out, and then mixing.. not too bad. Especially if you trust that it matches the PMS book when they're done (IMO the key to all of this :)   ).

Also to take into account, as someone else referred to.. are they mixing a quart or a gallon? 400g or 3500g?.. there's a difference in time and mixing on those quantities also.

Offline blue moon

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #10 on: September 04, 2019, 12:50:46 PM »
Maybe start by telling them that 10 min is too long and they should try to do it in 5 and see what happens.
pierre

Probably mixing another quart of ink :-D

10 mins is not to bad. Are you charging the customer for the service?

good question!
yes and no. If we have it on the shelf they generally don't get charged. IF we have to mix it, they are paying for it!
pierre
Yes, we've won our share of awards, and yes, I've tested stuff and read the scientific papers, but ultimately take everything I say with more than just a grain of salt! So if you are looking for trouble, just do as I say or even better, do something I said years ago!

Offline jsheridan

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #11 on: September 04, 2019, 02:28:10 PM »
10-15 minutes to pull ink from a bucket with an ink knife and mix by hand is A-O-K in my book.

now if you have pumps or or other dispensing with mixers, 5 minutes is achievable.
Blacktop Graphics Screenprinting and Consulting Services

Offline Rockers

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #12 on: September 04, 2019, 07:44:38 PM »
10-15 minutes to pull ink from a bucket with an ink knife and mix by hand is A-O-K in my book.

now if you have pumps or or other dispensing with mixers, 5 minutes is achievable.
I guess it really depends on how much ink is going to be mixed. But our average pantone color matches rarely exceed 20oz. All our mixing pots, bases and pigments are centralized in one location. All you need to do is turn your upper torso to the left or right and grab whatever you need. The pc with the mixing software is as well is as well right in front of you so 15 minutes in my book are not OK. But then I`m the boss in my shop and of course I would say that;)

Offline jsheridan

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #13 on: September 05, 2019, 11:47:07 AM »

I guess it really depends on how much ink is going to be mixed. But our average pantone color matches rarely exceed 20oz. All our mixing pots, bases and pigments are centralized in one location. All you need to do is turn your upper torso to the left or right and grab whatever you need. The pc with the mixing software is as well is as well right in front of you so 15 minutes in my book are not OK. But then I`m the boss in my shop and of course I would say that;)

Well there is your problem.. the boss is never satisfied with the output of their employees. Do not ever expect a W2 employee to rise to your level unless you pay them owner wages.
Blacktop Graphics Screenprinting and Consulting Services

Offline mimosatexas

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
  • contributor
« Reply #14 on: September 05, 2019, 02:23:05 PM »
10 minutes seems fine.  i havent really timed my guys on that part of our process.  i know we typically mix 750g or so, and for some colors it can take 5 minutes, and some it may be 20 minutes with some revisions.  Gallons are a different story.  i would say when we mix 4000g it takes a lot longer to actually mix the ink in the bucket sufficiently and revisions just take longer as well.