Author Topic: How many different plastisol inks?  (Read 2346 times)

Offline kidink

• Verified/Junior
How many different plastisol inks?
« on: September 04, 2019, 03:55:15 AM »
Do you guys tend to run a different plastisol for solid spot color designs that require maximum opacity than you do for your simulated process printing? or do you take your regular ink and cut it with a base to make it more simulated process friendly?

Our current system isn't the best for printing completely solid spot color work on dark garments; the colors lose some vibrancy as soon as they're printed over a white underbase, but it works somewhat well for simulated process.

Offline mimosatexas

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
  • contributor
Re: How many different plastisol inks?
« Reply #1 on: September 04, 2019, 09:25:31 AM »
we run rio inks, and they tend to be super opaque, which is great for some stuff, but sucks for others.  we tend to base everything down to the opacity we want, either with process clear or curable reducer depending on how we want the ink to print.

Offline blue moon

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #2 on: September 04, 2019, 07:02:57 PM »
at last count, we had 9 different types of ink. Obviously, we have a simulated process ink (union unimatch) and med and high opacity inks depending on what we are doing. I have to admit we get a little lazy sometimes and skip the high opacity since we are so used to the daily stuff.
Simulated process have a lot more in them than just the addition of the base. They have additives to reduce the build up on the bottom of the screens, they are designed with a shorter recovery time after sheering so they will maintain the dot better. Also they are designed to blend and produce various shades correctly and they are blended with a single pigment only so you can mix colors correctly.
This is just a few of the top of my head. I am sure if you talked to Colin he could give you more info.

pierre
Yes, we've won our share of awards, and yes, I've tested stuff and read the scientific papers, but ultimately take everything I say with more than just a grain of salt! So if you are looking for trouble, just do as I say or even better, do something I said years ago!

Offline tonypep

• Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #3 on: September 04, 2019, 08:40:46 PM »
Last count at Ttown it was 900. And yes some tweaks.

Offline kidink

• Verified/Junior
« Reply #4 on: September 05, 2019, 03:14:48 AM »
As the majority of our work is wet-on-wet regardless of whether it's sim process or high opacity spot colour work would it be best to go for a medium opacity ink that will handle both relatively well? Any recommendations would be appreciated.

Online ThePrinter

• Verified/Junior
« Reply #5 on: September 05, 2019, 09:44:38 AM »
they are blended with a single pigment only so you can mix colors correctly.

When you say "blended with a single pigment" are you meaning you add the pigment then blend then add the next pigment then blend and so on?

Offline Frog

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
  • Docendo discimus
« Reply #6 on: September 05, 2019, 10:41:24 AM »
they are blended with a single pigment only so you can mix colors correctly.

When you say "blended with a single pigment" are you meaning you add the pigment then blend then add the next pigment then blend and so on?

You're taking that one line a little out of context. Pierre is not adding the pigment, he's describing the qualities of Unimatch, Union's ink for sim process

at last count, we had 9 different types of ink. Obviously, we have a simulated process ink (union unimatch) and med and high opacity inks depending on what we are doing. I have to admit we get a little lazy sometimes and skip the high opacity since we are so used to the daily stuff.
Simulated process have a lot more in them than just the addition of the base. They have additives to reduce the build up on the bottom of the screens, they are designed with a shorter recovery time after sheering so they will maintain the dot better. Also they are designed to blend and produce various shades correctly and they are blended with a single pigment only so you can mix colors correctly.
This is just a few of the top of my head. I am sure if you talked to Colin he could give you more info.

pierre
That rug really tied the room together, did it not?

Online ThePrinter

• Verified/Junior
« Reply #7 on: September 05, 2019, 12:04:15 PM »
As I was reading that line I had a pigment based mixing system in my head. Thank you for the clarification.

Offline blue moon

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #8 on: September 06, 2019, 04:50:28 PM »
As the majority of our work is wet-on-wet regardless of whether it's sim process or high opacity spot colour work would it be best to go for a medium opacity ink that will handle both relatively well? Any recommendations would be appreciated.
Try Ultrasoft from Union. It's medium opacity and it prints well WOW. I would get a sample kit of Unimatch or at least one color to try it out. Beware, with low opacity inks the underbase has to be white. If it is not bright enough it will muddy up and dull the top colors. Anything but close to paper white is not going to work well.

pierre
Yes, we've won our share of awards, and yes, I've tested stuff and read the scientific papers, but ultimately take everything I say with more than just a grain of salt! So if you are looking for trouble, just do as I say or even better, do something I said years ago!

Offline screenxpress

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #9 on: September 06, 2019, 05:57:06 PM »

I thought Unimatch didn't have enough opacity for Sim Process.  I have always used their Ultrasoft line for Sim.

Color me confused :o
« Last Edit: September 06, 2019, 05:59:35 PM by screenxpress »
Anything important is never left to the vote of the people. We only get to vote on some man; we never get to vote on what he is to do.  Will Rogers

Offline blue moon

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #10 on: September 07, 2019, 02:17:19 AM »

I thought Unimatch didn't have enough opacity for Sim Process.  I have always used their Ultraviolet soft line for Sim.

Unimatch was developed specificaly for simulated process. Ultrasoft is not suitable for it as it is to opaque (reduces the color gamut) and not being made of one pigment (introduces unwanted shading to the color mixes).
Pierre

Offline screenxpress

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #11 on: September 07, 2019, 01:59:22 PM »

I thought Unimatch didn't have enough opacity for Sim Process.  I have always used their Ultraviolet soft line for Sim.

Unimatch was developed specificaly for simulated process. Ultrasoft is not suitable for it as it is to opaque (reduces the color gamut) and not being made of one pigment (introduces unwanted shading to the color mixes).
Pierre

I've used Ultrasoft on Sim work for years and gotten great results.  Interesting.       
Anything important is never left to the vote of the people. We only get to vote on some man; we never get to vote on what he is to do.  Will Rogers

Offline blue moon

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #12 on: September 07, 2019, 10:17:56 PM »

Pierre

I've used Ultrasoft on Sim work for years and gotten great results.  Interesting.     

sure, it will work and the great results are a testament to your skillset rather then the ink. In my eyes it would be like driving a nail in with a crescent wrench. It works, and you can get quite good at it, but why not use a hammer? ;D

pierre

Offline screenxpress

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #13 on: September 07, 2019, 11:09:33 PM »

Pierre

sure, it will work and the great results are a testament to your skillset rather then the ink. In my eyes it would be like driving a nail in with a crescent wrench. It works, and you can get quite good at it, but why not use a hammer? ;D

pierre

Thanks, maybe I'll check it out.