Author Topic: Motor / Bearing on Sprint Gas Dryer  (Read 837 times)

Offline brandon

• Gonzo Member
Motor / Bearing on Sprint Gas Dryer
« on: August 29, 2019, 11:42:49 AM »
Hey people,

So on a Sprint Dryer the motor on top (part 1008289) has a bearing in it. Is it possible to open that motor and replace it or best to just replace the whole motor? Not the belt we just replaced that but the motor / bearing itself.

Thank you!

Offline ebscreen

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
Re: Motor / Bearing on Sprint Gas Dryer
« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2019, 12:44:46 PM »
Bearings can almost always be replaced but in this case it's much easier to just replace the motor.
A 1/2 hp 56c frame 3 phase 1725 rpm motor is bog standard and can be had for much less than the part listed.
I like Automation Direct.

FWIW I've got electric motors running everywhere and have never had a bearing go out. Are you sure it's not the ones
inside the fan? They aren't rated for the temps they see and I've had to replace those already.

Offline inkman996

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #2 on: August 29, 2019, 02:08:40 PM »
I have been fixing motors on the side for a little while now. Bearings go more often than you might think. Sometimes its just poor seating of the bearing, high heat, lack of lubrication etc. As long as the bearing journals are fine replacing the bearings in an induction motor can be worth it for just a few bucks.

I have restored some older 3 phase motors by replacing the bearings, cleaning and checking the windings, making sure no shorts.. Actually have made a few bucks selling them.
"No man is an island"

Offline Admiral

« Reply #3 on: September 05, 2019, 01:07:54 PM »
For our Sprint 3000 exhaust noise issue it was the bearing in the fan, got that RMA'd probably 8 months ago.

For our other Sprint DHZ dryer though we have a high pitched whine and it turns out it's from the main blower motor, a tech (and I) thought it was the bearings but it is not, they are in great shape.

Going to be a bit tough to RMA this bad boy...

Anyway, for the price of that and if you are sure it's the motor I would just replace it then maybe get the old one fixed with a new bearing for a spare / to sell afterwords.