Author Topic: Inks for Epson surecolor printer  (Read 661 times)

Offline JonnyP

Inks for Epson surecolor printer
« on: September 09, 2019, 03:48:45 AM »
I have an epson surecolor P8000 and the plan is to use it both to print film positives and to print large-format photographs. So I'll be using color inks, not using cartridges filled with cleaning fluid or a black maxx system. I am wondering about using non-OEM inks to save money. I wonder if anyone has any experience with Ink2Image's Lyson Cave Paint inks, or with either InkOwl or InkjetMall inks. The Lyson inks apparently do better in light-fade tests (although OEM inks outperform them), but InkjetMall and InkOwl appear to have actively figured out things like chip technology for use with Epson, and seem to have developed refillable cartridges, etc., that are well-designed for the printer. But, most of the information out there comes from the manufacturers. There aren't a lot of comparative reviews available.
Thanks!

Offline Flash Ink

Re: Inks for Epson surecolor printer
« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2019, 12:04:52 PM »
Try cobra ink systems, we have been using their stuff for years with no issues.

Offline Frog

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
  • Docendo discimus
« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2019, 01:06:15 PM »
Try cobra ink systems, we have been using their stuff for years with no issues.

I also use Cobra, but for film positives and transfers. How they are for archival quality photographs?
Light fade seems to be on the OP's mind.
That rug really tied the room together, did it not?

Offline nobrainsd

« Reply #3 on: September 09, 2019, 01:11:35 PM »
I have an Epson 3880. I run the ConeColor pro inks from Inkjet Mall in the refillable cartridges. Swapping the chips from my OEM cartridges was not a big deal. This is not a dedicated screen positive machine. I print lots of full color images of my photos to go up in frames. The Cone Color Pro inks work great printing out of Photoshop with Epson Ultra Premium Photo Luster color profile. These inks are REALLY close to, if not right on, the Epson ink gamut. Very satisfied and I'm particular about my prints.

I don't know the DMax on the black inks, but I have no problem resolving fine details exposing with my point light source (Metal Halide Photosharp). I have attached a sample of what I print. That is a plastisol print, 8 colors, indexed at 185 ppi and printed through 230 s mesh. Held great detail.

Good luck with whatever you choose to run, but if your printer is supported changing to ConeColor ink and cartridges was sweet!

Offline nobrainsd

« Reply #4 on: September 09, 2019, 01:33:12 PM »
The light fade testing of the ConeColor inks is thoroughly described here: https://shop.inkjetmall.com/about-conecolor-pro-inks

One of the nicest things about the Conecolor inks is that the pigment particles are encapsulated. Only HP and Epson produce inks in this manner. The inks are compatible with the Epson inks in your printer, so you don't have to flush everything thoroughly before making a change. That was a big point that sold me.

Offline JonnyP

« Reply #5 on: September 09, 2019, 03:15:55 PM »
Thanks for the responses. The light fade testing that I'd seen online is here: https://www.aardenburg-imaging.com/light-fade-test-results/
Unfortunately, you have to register for a free account to access. The testing they do involves hundreds of different combinations of printer, ink, and paper.  Here were some of the results I saw:

[printer]   [ink]   [paper] [coating/laminate]  [conservation display rating]

Epson Stylus Photo 1400    Cone Piezography® Neutral K6    Hahnemuhle Photo Rag 188gsm    no coating or laminate    37-37 Megalux hours

Epson Stylus Pro 9600    Cone Piezotone (Selenium, Portfolio Black, K underprint)    Hahnemuhle Photo Rag 308gsm    no coating or laminate    45-45 Megalux-hours

Epson Stylus Pro 10000    Cone Piezography® Neutral K6    PremierArt™ Alise Bright White    no coating or laminate    7-8 Megalux-hours

There are no direct comparisons with same paper, same finish, same printer to line these up with Epson OEM inks, but with various printer combinations the Epson ultrachrome had light fade resistance of >100 megalux-hours, which seemed significant.  I'm eager to hear if others are also using their printers for dual purpose printing, and what your experience has been. I will also call some of the ink manufacturers and ask them.

Offline nobrainsd

« Reply #6 on: September 10, 2019, 01:39:26 AM »
Piezography. That would be grey scale. Black and white more or less. If you want to print something that will last forever maybe this matters. But seriously, it if you are printing color either the Epson or ConeColor inks are going to hold up to everything, except direct sunlight everyday. Of course, I can always reprint anything, because I own the originals. I get the idea of some absolute no change color fast who cares what UV exposure the image gets... that isn't going to happen. But I must say my  prints have held up well under quite bright conditions.