Author Topic: Help, need advise on proper ink for face masks for kids.  (Read 3322 times)

Offline nicolas

• Verified/Junior
Help, need advise on proper ink for face masks for kids.
« on: August 27, 2020, 06:37:22 AM »
Hi all, I have to print on some neck gators for a school K-8 and I wanted to make sure I don't use some ink that may be harmful since it is going to be worn on the face. The material is 80% Polyester 20% Spandex. We have used the Nazdar DA series inks in the past for Polyester jackets and such but I'm a little concerned about using a ink that needs a catalyst for kids mask.

Any advise would be appreciated.
Dave   

Offline 3Deep

• !!!
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
Re: Help, need advise on proper ink for face masks for kids.
« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2020, 10:45:09 AM »
I would use a phthalate compliant ink if you have if that much concern, I've just used regular plastisol inks and I want to say other have to, but I can't say for sure, but I know I wouldn't used any nazdar inks.
Life is like Kool-Aid, gotta add sugar/hardwork to make it sweet!!

Offline Frog

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
  • Docendo discimus
« Reply #2 on: August 27, 2020, 10:53:13 AM »
The material is 80% Polyester 20% Spandex. We have used the Nazdar DA series inks in the past for Polyester jackets and such but I'm a little concerned about using a ink that needs a catalyst for kids mask.

Any advise would be appreciated.
Dave

With 20% Spandex, I'd be especially concerned of a really high stretch-ability of any ink used.
That rug really tied the room together, did it not?

Offline tbarnes

• Verified/Junior
« Reply #3 on: August 27, 2020, 11:07:56 AM »
We have also used just regular plastisol on press, as well as plastisol screen printed transfers in house.

Offline nicolas

• Verified/Junior
« Reply #4 on: August 27, 2020, 03:21:15 PM »
Thank you for the replies. I am going to test some regular plastisol and also vinyl transfers and see how they work out.

Offline Frog

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
  • Docendo discimus
« Reply #5 on: August 27, 2020, 03:38:02 PM »
Thank you for the replies. I am going to test some regular plastisol and also vinyl transfers and see how they work out.

If the job is a good candidate for vinyl, remember my advice to be sure to use a stretch material. (hopefully not a lot of fine detail because that's the trade-off for the stretch.)
That rug really tied the room together, did it not?

Offline nicolas

• Verified/Junior
« Reply #6 on: August 28, 2020, 01:33:44 AM »

If the job is a good candidate for vinyl, remember my advice to be sure to use a stretch material. (hopefully not a lot of fine detail because that's the trade-off for the stretch.)

Good advice Frog. I will definitely keep that in mind if I have to go to the vinyl route.