Author Topic: Network Attached Storage device  (Read 1772 times)

Offline Sbrem

• Ludicrous Speed Member
Network Attached Storage device
« on: September 20, 2019, 03:04:18 PM »
I need a little help here, as when I try to read about it, I get way too much info to wade into, and thought someone here could make a suggestion. We have an old Mac Mini acting as a server, (kind of, not with server software or anything like that) where there is a folder for all of our art files. The old Mac Mini needs to be replaced, and a friend recommended BUFFALO LinkStation SoHo 2-Bay. We want to use that the same way we are using the Mini's hard drive. There would be 4 computers/users accessing it. With 2 - 2TB drives, we want one to mirror the other, as a backup. Something this size would also let us put our entire archive of art files (20+ years). Is this basically as simple as loading all of art onto one of the drives, setting it to mirror, and making sure we all have read and write access? That first, then I can move onto the features and options. Thanks in advance.

Steve
I made a mistake once; I thought I was wrong about something; I wasn't

Offline mk162

• Ludicrous Speed Member
Re: Network Attached Storage device
« Reply #1 on: September 20, 2019, 03:53:03 PM »
I am not familiar with that one, but we run a synology and it's good.  It runs as a raid and we have all of the computers on the network mirror and backup to it and then all of that is saved in the cloud. 

It mostly depends on the size of the drives.  With it only being 2 bay you won't be looking at much storage.  I would go minimum 4 bay. 

Offline blue moon

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #2 on: September 20, 2019, 04:01:17 PM »
we are all windows, but here's my experience

I would not get a 2 drive unit. You can look into the 4 drive Buffalo DriveStation (USB) or Linkstation (NAS). it will be easier to expand later if needed. They pop up on ebay for reasonable amount.

you will connect the drive to configure it as mirror (RAID 1) or RAID 5 (requires three drives). You can configure one of the drives as standby so it will automatically rebuild a failed drive.
Files are transferred after it's all configured.

We store all the files on the server and use the Buffalo for backup. I probably would not use it as the main storage device though. If your box dies you are out until you buy a new one (and holly crap are they expensive if you need it NOW!). I have a standby at home just for that reason.

It comes with NovaStor software for backups. 'not really impressed, but it does work.

So my suggestion would be to upgrade the drive in your mini or get an external drive for your mini. Something faster than USB. If you absolutely have to get rid of the mini, find a used older one. They should be pretty cheap. All the external enclosures I've messed with have always been iffy.

Also, 4TB drives are a sweet point now. You can get them for $90 or so. I just bought this:
https://www.microcenter.com/product/477374/ironwolf-4tb-5900rpm-sata-iii-6gb-s-35-nas-internal-hard-drive
heavier duty bearings for longer life.

If you are set on A Buffalo box, here's one on ebay. 4TB and if you configure as RAID 5 with standby it will give you only 2TB, but it sounds like that might be enough for you . . .
https://www.ebay.com/itm/4-Bay-NAS-Buffalo-LinkStation-Pro-Quad-4TB-External-Drive/254362727615?hash=item3b393334bf:g:CagAAOSwUY9dNl2g

pierre
Yes, we've won our share of awards, and yes, I've tested stuff and read the scientific papers, but ultimately take everything I say with more than just a grain of salt! So if you are looking for trouble, just do as I say or even better, do something I said years ago!

Offline blue moon

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #3 on: September 20, 2019, 04:01:57 PM »
I am not familiar with that one, but we run a synology and it's good.  It runs as a raid and we have all of the computers on the network mirror and backup to it and then all of that is saved in the cloud. 

It mostly depends on the size of the drives.  With it only being 2 bay you won't be looking at much storage.  I would go minimum 4 bay.

beat me to it!
Yes, we've won our share of awards, and yes, I've tested stuff and read the scientific papers, but ultimately take everything I say with more than just a grain of salt! So if you are looking for trouble, just do as I say or even better, do something I said years ago!

Offline Sbrem

• Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #4 on: September 20, 2019, 04:22:10 PM »
I think I might be OK with the 2 drives as altogether we have about 800GB to store. At the beginning of each year we move the previous year's files over to one of the Archives, and start fresh for the new year. Thanks all, I appreciate the input, a few concise options and not over my head, lol. Have a good weekend all.

Steve

Offline farmboygraphics

« Reply #5 on: September 20, 2019, 07:59:37 PM »
+1 for Buffalo
Tees and Coffee

Offline Maxie

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #6 on: September 21, 2019, 01:48:05 AM »
Besides your server back up do you not back up to the cloud?
Maxie Garb.
T Max Designs.
Silk Screen Printers
www.tmax.co.il

Offline mk162

• Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #7 on: September 22, 2019, 12:45:14 AM »

beat me to it!

Wouldn't have if you didn't type a novel. 

We use ours as our main storage.  I can get files from the cloud if the main system goes down, but I hope I don't have to.  I may buy another raid identical to it and configure it just in case.  The cool thing is we use backblaze for backup and I went from $120 a year to about $35 a year since we don't store a ton of data.  The standard plan won't allow you to use a NAS since you could backup everything to the NAS and pay one low rate.  Instead it ended up working out better to go with their B2(i think that's what it's called) plan that allows a NAS and it ended up being less than half the price.

Offline CBCB

• !!!
« Reply #8 on: September 22, 2019, 07:45:42 AM »

Cloud, or off-site. It’s critical!

If you’re going down this path and you have your own fileserver I’d definitely suggest the 3-2-1 backup rule.

The 3-2-1 backup rule is an easy-to-remember acronym for a common approach to keeping your data safe in almost any failure scenario. The rule is: keep at least three (3) copies of your data, and store two (2) backup copies on different storage media, with one (1) of them located offsite.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline blue moon

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #9 on: September 22, 2019, 08:41:09 AM »

yup! definitely need something off site!

pierre

Offline blue moon

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #10 on: September 22, 2019, 08:52:09 AM »

beat me to it!

Wouldn't have if you didn't type a novel. 

We use ours as our main storage.  I can get files from the cloud if the main system goes down, but I hope I don't have to.  I may buy another raid identical to it and configure it just in case.  The cool thing is we use backblaze for backup and I went from $120 a year to about $35 a year since we don't store a ton of data.  The standard plan won't allow you to use a NAS since you could backup everything to the NAS and pay one low rate.  Instead it ended up working out better to go with their B2(i think that's what it's called) plan that allows a NAS and it ended up being less than half the price.

be careful with Backblaze. They only keep your data for 90 days. I lost a drive and did not know for about 6 months. When I tried to restore they did not have it!!! I lost years of data.
We switched to IDrive. It seems to have more features and I like the interface better. First year was ridiculously cheap at $5. Additionally, if you have a boatload of data and you don't have the bandwidth to recover fast, they will ship you a drive with your data to get you up and running faster. 

Here's a review from PC Magazine:
https://www.pcmag.com/review/250113/idrive

IDrive is one of the few services we reviewed that offers a permanent and free 5GB account. Zoolz Big Mind offers a comparable free plan. The business-level subscription adds subaccount management features, priority support, server backup, three IDrive Express bulk backups per year (Personal users only get one), and an unlimited number of users per account for $99.50 a year.

For comparison, Carbonite and Backblaze$50.00 at Backblaze charge $71.99 and $60 a year, respectively, for unlimited storage plans, though those plans each can only be used with one computer. Competing services such as SOS Online Backup ($44.99 per year for 50GB) and Acronis True Image ($49.99 per year for 250GB) charge considerably more per gigabyte of storage. SOS Online does cover a respectable five computers and an unlimited number of mobile devices, though.

pierre

Offline blue moon

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #11 on: September 22, 2019, 08:55:45 AM »

If you’re going down this path and you have your own fileserver I’d definitely suggest the 3-2-1 backup rule.

The 3-2-1 backup rule is an easy-to-remember acronym for a common approach to keeping your data safe in almost any failure scenario. The rule is: keep at least three (3) copies of your data, and store two (2) backup copies on different storage media, with one (1) of them located offsite.

I like this! Don't remember hearing it before, but it's exactly what we have been doing.
One of our local backups is in a fireproof safe!
in case of fire, it should survive the heat and sprinklers.
https://www.amazon.com/SentrySafe-Fire-Safe-Electronic-Connect-x17-13/dp/B00LU1UQG6

pierre

Offline Sbrem

• Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #12 on: September 23, 2019, 12:51:03 PM »

I like this! Don't remember hearing it before, but it's exactly what we have been doing.
One of our local backups is in a fireproof safe!
in case of fire, it should survive the heat and sprinklers.
https://www.amazon.com/SentrySafe-Fire-Safe-Electronic-Connect-x17-13/dp/B00LU1UQG6

pierre

We don't have a fileserver, or do we? I kind of thought that was a separate, very specific thing. Would the NAS act as one?

Steve

Offline Admiral

« Reply #13 on: September 23, 2019, 02:40:34 PM »
NAS acts as fileserver yes.  At least if you set it up properly.  I use Synology NAS systems with 20 or so users with access to certain shared folders that they need.  CTS pulls files off of that no problem.  Has redundancy so if a disk fails it warns you, you can hot swap it and it repairs.

It backsup easily to an offsite Synology every night.  Easy to configure, very reliable.  May have to go to 8 bay next year.

Keep in mind you can go with a 4 bay, only install 2 hard drives and have room for expansion, make sure it's a RAID setup or software RAID where if one drive fails you are fine.  Perhaps you do only need 2 bays but I like future proofing and the higher bay systems are usually faster too.

Offline Sbrem

• Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #14 on: September 23, 2019, 05:44:20 PM »
Thanks, I just watched a fairly easy to follow video, on Synology's youtube channel, so I think I have a very good feel for it now. Since our old mini was doing nothing other than hosting the folder with the art, I can take it out of the loop. The only other software ever run on it was Disk Utility, it wasn't used at all to work on. Attach whatever NAS I end up choosing, probably a 4 bay, not necessarily filled, to the network via ethernet, and follow the instructions for moving the files over, and setting up the users. And of course, make sure it's actually working the way it's supposed to, and have the extra backup functions, including a cloud based one. Thanks everyone, have a nice evening.

Steve