Author Topic: Coronavirus - effects on business  (Read 22194 times)

Offline Maff

• !!!
Re: Coronavirus - effects on business
« Reply #195 on: March 22, 2020, 12:25:54 PM »
2 things. I hope BSN chokes on a bag full of horse cocks.

We have sourced the elastic, hair head bands at dollar tree, 12 of them for 1.00..... We ahve them sewing right now, I can do 16 at a time with my machines
How are you doing them with the embroidery machine?

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

Offline Nitrox73

• Verified/Junior
« Reply #196 on: March 22, 2020, 02:39:28 PM »
Update on making masks. We posted some pics on Instagram and our phone/messages are blowing UP. We're charging $8 for a 3 layer mask. (I keep saying we even though it's just me now). I am hopeful to bring my manager back if this continues.

Being an 47 year old man with mad sewing and embroidery skills may end up paying off during the apocalypse.
Did you figure out a way to make these with your embroidery machine?

We could probably start another thread on this.  We are going to take this project on, currently with just a couple sewing machines.  NYS Governor is offering to buy them from whoever can make them, could give us something to do in the mean time. And even sell to the public like you mention.

We did, we started with the video I posted earlier from the hospital.  https://www.deaconess.com/How-to-make-a-Face-Mask

We are not using elastic at all. We went with fabric ribbon so you can tie them. It allows them to fit more faces. The elastic ones do NOT fit children and our will.

I am making some more industrial versions for the police. Using 1/8" paracord with barrel locks and it has an adjustable nose piece made from flexible wire ties sewn in.

You need to use a tight weave 100% cotton fabric. We are using the embroidery machine to sew 3 sides. Then we cut them out and leave the 3oz backing material in it. It adds a third layer of cotton felt. Flip them inside out and pull your ties out. Last part is done on a sewing machine. Close forth side and sew in two matching creases on each side.

For the basic fabric version we are getting $8, for the deluxe- $12. Got orders totaling 100 pcs yesterday. Hit your corporate clients that are still working in offices. Ask them to buy yours instead of medical grade masks that the hospitals are in dire need of.

Check out the photos.

« Last Edit: March 22, 2020, 02:45:21 PM by Nitrox73 »

Offline Maff

• !!!
« Reply #197 on: March 22, 2020, 02:49:07 PM »
Update on making masks. We posted some pics on Instagram and our phone/messages are blowing UP. We're charging $8 for a 3 layer mask. (I keep saying we even though it's just me now). I am hopeful to bring my manager back if this continues.

Being an 47 year old man with mad sewing and embroidery skills may end up paying off during the apocalypse.
Did you figure out a way to make these with your embroidery machine?

We could probably start another thread on this.  We are going to take this project on, currently with just a couple sewing machines.  NYS Governor is offering to buy them from whoever can make them, could give us something to do in the mean time. And even sell to the public like you mention.

We did, we started with the video I posted earlier from the hospital.  https://www.deaconess.com/How-to-make-a-Face-Mask

We are not using elastic at all. We went with fabric ribbon so you can tie them. It allows them to fit more faces. The elastic ones do NOT fit children and our will.

I am making some more industrial versions for the police. Using 1/8" paracord with barrel locks and it has an adjustable nose piece made from flexible wire ties sewn in.

You need to use a tight weave 100% cotton fabric. We are using the embroidery machine to sew 3 sides. Then we cut them out and leave the 3oz backing material in it. It adds a third layer of cotton felt. Flip them inside out and pull your ties out. Last part is done on a sewing machine. Close forth side and sew in two matching creases on each side.

For the basic fabric version we are getting $8, for the deluxe- $12. Got orders totaling 100 pcs yesterday. Hit your corporate clients that are still working in offices. Ask them to buy yours instead of medical grade masks that the hospitals are in dire need of.

Check out the photos.
Nice work! I'll check in on the other thread.

Offline inkman996

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #198 on: March 22, 2020, 03:14:28 PM »
Connecticut governor put the state in full lock down two days ago, all non essential businesses have to cease. We could actually be fined if we are discovered conducting work of any kind. But get this what the crap head governor allowed to be exempt from the shut down is Lotto, vape shops, liquor stores, all massive tax generating industries.
"No man is an island"

Offline Maff

• !!!
« Reply #199 on: March 22, 2020, 08:31:12 PM »
Connecticut governor put the state in full lock down two days ago, all non essential businesses have to cease. We could actually be fined if we are discovered conducting work of any kind. But get this what the crap head governor allowed to be exempt from the shut down is Lotto, vape shops, liquor stores, all massive tax generating industries.
Yeah same in NY.  The liquor stores are booming right now.  Id guess the state is trying to keep that revenue stream going since there's probably no other tax money coming in anymore.  But people would probably riot if they closed the liquor stores.

Online aauusa

« Reply #200 on: March 23, 2020, 07:45:01 AM »
we too have stopped all non essential orders and have nothing but mask being made.  since we are a full cut and sew company it was relatively easy to make the switch.  we are not selling them but rather giving them to our local hospitals and first responders locally as they are completely out and not expected date to receive any.  and we can keep our people here at work for as long as they feel comfortable coming in to work.  that way they get a check and some satisfaction they are helping a greater good; as we are not in full lock down yet here in florida

from CDC guidlines use tight weave 100% cotton (tee shirts are not a tight weave) if possible have interfacing in the middle.

below is a link to how we are making them if anyone is needing info
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FWBO2Y5bZ-k&feature=share&fbclid=IwAR290M0Yie7EXyOjxbSEn5nehktC9F9-Qm0JtvFOYFGg2XZtg10ohtT67Wg

check with local hospital, ems services and police to see what there needs may be.

also check with joans fabric if you have one local as they are helping supply fabric for free for this purpose
https://www.wbir.com/article/news/local/joann-fabric-stores-working-with-customers-to-sew-masks-for-health-care-workers/77-1d0f71fb-9595-4b37-9909-fbd0004d2be9?fbclid=IwAR297vJtt8Tx5pNDTYeylzmpvIitRlz_upQKtl5ognkdWC3C3hofd09Pk5s
« Last Edit: March 23, 2020, 07:47:21 AM by aauusa »

Offline blue moon

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #201 on: March 23, 2020, 08:07:33 AM »
harbor freight is donating their supply of proactive gear and they should have a boatload. Your local hospitals have to contact them to arrange it.

Dear Harbor Freight Community,
As we’ve been following the news over the last few days, we’ve heard about the severe shortage of protective gear for hospitals, healthcare workers and first responders as the impact of COVID-19 is being felt across the country. America depends on these heroes every day and in the days ahead we will depend on them even more. At Harbor Freight, we want them to know that they can depend on us too.
So we’ve decided to donate our entire supply of the personal protective equipment items listed below to front line hospitals with 24 hour emergency rooms in the communities served by our stores.
           •  N95 Masks
           •  Face Shields
           •  5 and 7 mil Nitrile Gloves
If you work at a hospital with a 24 hour emergency room in need of these items, please ask the office in charge of procurement at your hospital to click here so they can provide us with the information we’ll need to determine if we can make a donation. If you’re not with a hospital, but would like to give us the name of a hospital with a 24 hour emergency room in your community that might need our help, please email us at hospitalhelp@harborfreight.com, identify the hospital’s city and state in the subject line, and our team will follow-up.
PLEASE DO NOT MAKE REQUESTS AT YOUR LOCAL STORE OR OUR CALL CENTER AND PLEASE DO NOT CONTACT HOSPITALS—THEY’RE BUSY HELPING THEIR PATIENTS.
For hospitals we’re able to help, we’ll email them a voucher when the supplies are available for pick up at their local Harbor Freight Tools store.
Although we certainly won’t have enough of these supplies to fill everyone’s needs, we’re going to donate everything we’ve got. We also recognize that there are so many other critically important people responding to this crisis and that there is need everywhere. We’ve chosen to focus our efforts on hospitals with a 24 hour emergency room with the hope that we can help as many people as possible right now. 
Thank you and God Bless,

Eric Smidt
Owner and Founder
Harbor Freight Tools

Harbor Freight Tools | 26541 Agoura Road | Calabasas, CA 91302 | 1-800-444-3353 | Unsubscribe

« Last Edit: March 23, 2020, 08:09:45 AM by blue moon »
Yes, we've won our share of awards, and yes, I've tested stuff and read the scientific papers, but ultimately take everything I say with more than just a grain of salt! So if you are looking for trouble, just do as I say or even better, do something I said years ago!

Offline numbercruncher

« Reply #202 on: March 23, 2020, 10:08:13 AM »
Wow, Harbour Freight that's the the kind of effort that will make us all strong again. Hats off to you!
Michael Jirasek
Independent Consultant
708-227-5084
jirs23m@hotmail.com

Offline T Shirt Farmer

« Reply #203 on: March 23, 2020, 10:16:40 AM »
  we are not selling them but rather giving them to our local hospitals and first responders locally as they are completely out and not expected date to receive any. 

Another example of what makes our country so great!
Robert
allpremiums.com
Your Source for Decorated Apparel.

Offline inkman996

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #204 on: March 23, 2020, 11:24:04 AM »
My father in law which is a commercial painter, he specializes industrial machinery so he has a large stock of PPE products especially ventilators and cartridges. He donated it all to the local FD/EMTS
"No man is an island"

Offline tonypep

• Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #205 on: March 24, 2020, 02:38:42 PM »
Kudos to that! Bless to all.
tp

Offline dirkdiggler

• Gonzo Member
« Reply #206 on: March 24, 2020, 07:27:03 PM »
2 things. I hope BSN chokes on a bag full of horse cocks.

AMEN

internet winner of the day!
If he gets up, we'll all get up, IT'LL BE ANARCHY!-John Bender

Offline tonypep

• Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #207 on: March 24, 2020, 09:48:21 PM »
My girl who cuts my hair. She does not take checks or credit. I forgot to take money. She said "Pay me next time"

Online ebscreen

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #208 on: March 25, 2020, 07:08:03 PM »
Yesterday a buddy that works in a super fancy machine shop asked if we had any extra hats lying around.
They designed a super simple polycarb face shield that attaches to a standard ballcap. We gave him what we had.

Today they are already in use in a local ER and we just ordered 500 more hats for them.
I've been trying to find ways to use our resources and abilities to help out but I didn't even think
of something like that.

Funny thing is most of the hats were emb rejects so there's some doctors/nurses wearing some funky caps
right now.

Online mk162

• Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #209 on: March 26, 2020, 09:16:23 AM »
There are a ton of ladies in my area sewing face masks, I've been giving them misprints and overstocks to keep them sewing.

They aren't approved as medical grade, but the doctors and nurses wear these over their disposable masks to get longer life from them.  They also work great for nursing homes and senior living centers and just general use.

Look on Nextdoor for people looking for fabric, you may be able to help them out.