Author Topic: Shade Structures?  (Read 358 times)

Offline mimosatexas

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
  • contributor
Shade Structures?
« on: March 26, 2020, 12:20:35 PM »
We are looking into adding a sort of semi-permanent shade structure/tent to an outdoor break area before the summer gets here and while we have a lot of down time for "projects".  The area is something like 15x25, though the whole space doesn't necessarily need to be covered.  I've googled a little, but there are a lot of different options and I'm not sure exactly where to start.  Anyone have any experience with something like this?  I haven't gotten clarity yet from the property owners on if we can actually make it fully permanent (like poles drilled and concreted into the parking lot slab) vs bolting it to some kind of mounts, or simply weighing it down in some way.  Just beginning the hunt, so any info is helpful.  Thanks!

Offline Prince Art

Re: Shade Structures?
« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2020, 10:35:24 AM »
We are looking into adding a sort of semi-permanent shade structure/tent to an outdoor break area before the summer gets here and while we have a lot of down time for "projects".  The area is something like 15x25, though the whole space doesn't necessarily need to be covered.  I've googled a little, but there are a lot of different options and I'm not sure exactly where to start.  Anyone have any experience with something like this? I haven't gotten clarity yet from the property owners on if we can actually make it fully permanent (like poles drilled and concreted into the parking lot slab) vs bolting it to some kind of mounts, or simply weighing it down in some way.  Just beginning the hunt, so any info is helpful.  Thanks!

if permanent isn't an option: A local cafe extended their outdoor seating into the parking lot by putting 4"x4" pressure treated posts in barrels, filled (I think) with some kind of landscaping rock, then attaching sun sails to them. They used wine barrels for ambience, but any 40-gallon drum would work. I suppose you could also do something similar with galvanized poles + old tires filled with cement, like some people use for movable volleyball nets. The posts + wine barrels + shades looked pretty good, though.
Nice guys laugh last.

Offline mimosatexas

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
  • contributor
Re: Shade Structures?
« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2020, 08:39:54 PM »
i like that idea!

I looked at the sails a bit, I'll get pricing figured out on those.