Author Topic: Tensioning question  (Read 1323 times)

Offline Pangea

• !!!
  • Jack of all trades, master of none.
Tensioning question
« on: March 26, 2020, 11:36:06 AM »
Dumb question but I'm using a tension gauge (Towa) and am unsure if you thread through the pigtail when measuring the tension? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Online repogolfer

• !!!
Re: Tensioning question
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2020, 04:38:22 PM »
We were just doing this yesterday with the TOWA.  We settled on 300.  But honestly it seems like we can just do it just as well with the drop test...but at least it gives you something to see...our issue is the meter bounces to much depending on lots of factors.

Our problem was someone messed with the upper tension on a certain head/needle and it threw that color all out of wack and we thought it was the bobbin.

Jon

Offline Pangea

• !!!
  • Jack of all trades, master of none.
« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2020, 04:49:17 PM »
We were just doing this yesterday with the TOWA.  We settled on 300.  But honestly it seems like we can just do it just as well with the drop test...but at least it gives you something to see...our issue is the meter bounces to much depending on lots of factors.

Our problem was someone messed with the upper tension on a certain head/needle and it threw that color all out of wack and we thought it was the bobbin.

Jon

300 through the pigtail or right out of the spring? We had issues with basically using the machine as a post arm sewing patches on hats, they all fell right off. Looks like it's going to be a full day of tensioning a 15 needle single head soon.

Online ebscreen

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2020, 05:15:37 PM »
Lady here says NOT through the pigtail.

Offline BrazosDesigns

« Reply #4 on: March 26, 2020, 05:57:41 PM »
When I bought the tension gauge I had a heck of a time with it and about threw it away.  I threaded through the pigtail, changed this that and the other and kept having to adjust tensions and pray....literally....as I was trying to get a Tajima TMEX-C1201 regulated as I had just bought it used.  Still inconsistent, thought I just wasted money, etc. etc. etc.

Fast forward 6 months....

I decided to try it without threading through the pigtail, realized my tension was waaaaaay too low, adjusted the bobbin tension to 23 and the top tension to 120-130 and the machine has been working great ever since.  If only Tajima website, SewManyParts (where I bought it), or someone else would have told me this when I got the gauge.......

Online repogolfer

• !!!
« Reply #5 on: March 26, 2020, 06:05:51 PM »
Crap I was doing a reading with it through the pig tails.  I just did one and it's bouncing between 50-60 right now.

Jon

300 through the pigtail or right out of the spring? We had issues with basically using the machine as a post arm sewing patches on hats, they all fell right off. Looks like it's going to be a full day of tensioning a 15 needle single head soon.

Offline mooseman

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #6 on: June 13, 2020, 02:07:51 PM »
DUE TO CIRCUMSTANCES COMPLETELY WITHIN MY CONTROL YOU SHOULD GET YOUR OWN TEE SHIRT AND A SHARPIE MARKER BY NOON TOMORROW OR SIMPLY CALL SOMEONE WHO GIVES A SHIRT.