Author Topic: Shut down project  (Read 401 times)

Offline inkman996

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
Shut down project
« on: March 30, 2020, 08:54:53 AM »
I am sure many of us are going to take advantage of the shut down to do some projects always on the back burner.

Something I have always kicked around in my head but never really had the time or drive to do was redo one of my walls in my office with palette wood. The biggest reason I never really got around to it was because all of our walls are metal studs with 5/8 sheetrock. Metal studs just suck period. So I never really knew how to go about doing what I want to do. I would need some type of nailing surface to mount the palette slats to.

I figure I have 3 options

1. Go the easiest route just plywood the whole wall, probably the most expensive as well.
2. Screw thin slats right over the sheet rock to each stud, giving a nailing surface for the palette wood.
3. Attach the palette wood with construction adhesive direct to the sheetrock. No fan of this since the adhesive would want the boards fastened for good bonding pressure.

Below is an image of what I would like to achieve.

Whats your thoughts on how to do this best?
"No man is an island"

Offline Homer

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
Re: Shut down project
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2020, 10:03:57 AM »
I've been wanting to do the same exact thing in my showroom, except we have cinder block walls. I ran 2x3's along the wall and then stapled t's onto those but it's time for a freshen up... I think I'd go the plywood route with wall anchors.... I always get myself into these projects and do what works for now, and then when I want to remove it, it's an absolute nightmare of a mess. I would think about the future of removal and go the route that would make that easier.... but' I'm not a carpenter, I'm sure Brad will chime in here.
...keep doing what you're doing, you'll only get what you've got...

Offline mooseman

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2020, 10:09:53 AM »
You will need solid wood backing. Plywood too many$ try 3/4 or even 7/16 OSB from lowes or home depot
sheet the wall then add your pallet wood.
here are suggestions links
23/32 thick 4 x 8 sheet (3/4)
https://www.lowes.com/pd/19-32-CAT-PS2-10-Tongue-and-Groove-OSB-Subfloor-Application-as-4-x-8/1000068923

7/16 in 4 x 8
 https://www.lowes.com/pd/7-16-CAT-PS2-10-OSB-Sheathing-Application-as-4-x-8/50382768
mooseman
DUE TO CIRCUMSTANCES COMPLETELY WITHIN MY CONTROL YOU SHOULD GET YOUR OWN TEE SHIRT AND A SHARPIE MARKER BY NOON TOMORROW OR SIMPLY CALL SOMEONE WHO GIVES A SHIRT.

Offline inkman996

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2020, 10:37:06 AM »
You will need solid wood backing. Plywood too many$ try 3/4 or even 7/16 OSB from lowes or home depot
sheet the wall then add your pallet wood.
here are suggestions links
23/32 thick 4 x 8 sheet (3/4)
https://www.lowes.com/pd/19-32-CAT-PS2-10-Tongue-and-Groove-OSB-Subfloor-Application-as-4-x-8/1000068923

7/16 in 4 x 8
 https://www.lowes.com/pd/7-16-CAT-PS2-10-OSB-Sheathing-Application-as-4-x-8/50382768
mooseman

This is the way I was leaning to start with, I like Homer's idea of using wall anchors to make it even stiffer as well.
"No man is an island"

Offline mk162

• Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #4 on: March 30, 2020, 10:55:02 AM »
I would use OSB so it lays flat.  Or you could use some other inexpensive ply.  Find your studs and attach the ply to the studs.  It's harder to do than wood, but you can use a counter sink bit to make sure you don't strip the metal stud.

It's not a bad idea to use liquid nails behind the plywood either, glue is stronger than screws or nails.  Your landlord my hate you for this though.

Then you can finish nail your wood to the ply.  It's the same way we did our office.

Offline inkman996

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #5 on: March 30, 2020, 11:00:09 AM »
I would use OSB so it lays flat.  Or you could use some other inexpensive ply.  Find your studs and attach the ply to the studs.  It's harder to do than wood, but you can use a counter sink bit to make sure you don't strip the metal stud.

It's not a bad idea to use liquid nails behind the plywood either, glue is stronger than screws or nails.  Your landlord my hate you for this though.

Then you can finish nail your wood to the ply.  It's the same way we did our office.

No landlord we own the building. They do sell specific screws that help with metal studs but I doubt I will find them at the length needed.
"No man is an island"

Offline Homer

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
...keep doing what you're doing, you'll only get what you've got...