Author Topic: PROOF. Screen mesh distortion  (Read 3931 times)

Offline Dottonedan

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
  • Email me at art@designsbydottone.com
PROOF. Screen mesh distortion
« on: March 30, 2020, 12:17:06 PM »
This mesh is so bad with stretching distortion that it’s visible with no image.  As the light catches the sides, you can see the distortion.

Crazy.  We have maybe 10 out of 30 high mesh like this.  Going back to Nazdar for an exchange.
Artist & Sim Process separator, Co owner of The Shirt Board, Past M&R Digital tech installer for I-Image machines. Over 28 yrs in the apparel industry. Apparel sales, http://www.designsbydottone.com  e-mail art@designsbydottone.com 615-821-7850

Offline BP

Re: PROOF. Screen mesh distortion
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2020, 02:10:21 PM »
Dan, some of that maybe the emulsion?
SHIRT HAPPENS!

Offline Dottonedan

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2020, 03:14:39 PM »
Emulsion?  You mean (the coating) as if it were getting staggered?  If so, no, I doubt that had any play involved.  Slim to no chance there. These are like glass when coated.

If not the coating, then you might mean (bad batch or inconsistent “consistency” or clumps?  Not that either.  Looks, seems good and liquified. Anything is possible though.  I’ll rarely ever say is THIS or THAT for sure, so you could be right.

Tell tail signs in the mesh show odd striation of patterns. Waves line on the beach shore line that are not consistent and arch (not due to a pull).  It’s across the entire screen also.
Artist & Sim Process separator, Co owner of The Shirt Board, Past M&R Digital tech installer for I-Image machines. Over 28 yrs in the apparel industry. Apparel sales, http://www.designsbydottone.com  e-mail art@designsbydottone.com 615-821-7850

Offline Colin

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
  • Ink and Chemical Product Manager
« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2020, 04:37:45 PM »
I saw this and I dont think you are wrong with the mesh being distorted.

but

Take a look at your eom - for the ink to show up like that in a reflection you may have a very very thin top layer of emulsion - the ink is getting stuck in something... + get your squeegee guy on the sharpener!  Your squeegees are dull :)
Been in the industry since 1996.  5+ years with QCM Inks.  Been a part of shops of all sizes and abilities both as a printer and as an Artist/separator.  I am now the Ink and Chemical Product Manager at Ryonet.

Offline tonypep

• Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #4 on: March 30, 2020, 04:49:55 PM »
It happens. Stretching your own mesh gives you control over this but not always possible. Stretching at different angles is a bandaid IMO. Remember that morie has different culprits.
tp

Offline Dottonedan

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #5 on: March 30, 2020, 05:17:56 PM »
I saw this and I dont think you are wrong with the mesh being distorted.

but

Take a look at your eom - for the ink to show up like that in a reflection you may have a very very thin top layer of emulsion - the ink is getting stuck in something... + get your squeegee guy on the sharpener!  Your squeegees are dull :)

The coating process is a 1:1 round on a 305 mesh and with that, in an attempt to jsut add a little more, he is going a tad slower jsut to add more EOM, and that was before taking these pictures.  The smoothness is perfect, like glass. There is no mesh waffle texture indication whatsoever. So I would have to say no, EOM can’t be it.

I am positive though, we need new squeegees blades,

Offline Dottonedan

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #6 on: March 30, 2020, 05:26:07 PM »
It happens. Stretching your own mesh gives you control over this but not always possible. Stretching at different angles is a bandaid IMO. Remember that morie has different culprits.
tp
. Yup.  You did a fantastic job on stretching. We keep pretty good tension (always above 23n min). with many being 27-30n.  I know there are many different things that can cause mesh interference and moire.

These are static frames from Nazdar. The issue is not on every high mesh. It’s random. This one bad, then next one good, and two more good, then a bad one.  Our guy is extremely good at coating and super consistent. The EOM has always been good.  The bull blades does give me cause to pause tho.  I’ve started to have them mark the ones that are not good (with tape on the sides and making them) but....somehow, they keep getting lost, fallen off or removed. I dunno on that one.

Even IF, the distortion is able to show up more so due to dull blades, then still, the fact remains (the mesh is distorted) stretched on there incorrectly...and not just this one. It’s a batch of them.

Offline tonypep

• Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #7 on: March 30, 2020, 06:40:11 PM »
Think of this..........heat, humidity and storage. They can all change the dynamics.

Offline tonypep

• Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #8 on: March 30, 2020, 07:12:53 PM »
To clarify, the warp and weft of the mesh can go a little skittle over time, heat and all. Lesser priced mesh might be prone to this. It is not impossible to combat this with a heavier emulsion application however, that can cause other issues later on the floor. Better to nip it in the bud.
Always good to have well honed coaters, squeegees, et al however I belive it to be a mostly supply issue.
tp

Offline mooseman

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #9 on: March 31, 2020, 07:03:34 AM »
i don't have a clue so take this for whatever stupid it contains....... but if this were happening to me I would suspect the screen (high mesh) is not as tightly stretched as high as it should be initially and as we know the mesh sometimes , most times mesh relaxes some.

Combining this with your emulsion which may demonstrate more shrinkage from drying may simply just mechanically be changing the reaction of the mesh especially if the mesh is stretched askew relative to the frame. Can you investigate if the "softer screens" are demonstrating this condition more than a tighter stretched screens of the same mesh and brand. have you measured the tension on the screens in question???? I know you said screens are 25n new but how about over time?
Also can you measure EOM do higher EOM screens demonstrate this condition more than lower EOM screens?
mooseman
« Last Edit: March 31, 2020, 07:07:28 AM by mooseman »
DUE TO CIRCUMSTANCES COMPLETELY WITHIN MY CONTROL YOU SHOULD GET YOUR OWN TEE SHIRT AND A SHARPIE MARKER BY NOON TOMORROW OR SIMPLY CALL SOMEONE WHO GIVES A SHIRT.

Offline shurloc

« Reply #10 on: April 14, 2020, 01:42:08 PM »
We see this often from one of the manufacturers that we use in house. We've had to return more than a few rolls of mesh to them because of this type of patterning. They explained that if the loom doesn't provide proper resistance during the process, you can end up with a quilting in the mesh. When that is stretched, it doesn't stretch evenly across the warp and weft directions, which creates a moire look to the mesh (which looks EXACTLY like the pattern in the images.)

Kudos to Nazdar for making it right and swapping them for you, but bummer that you had to deal with it.
Online at: www.shurloc.com - Like Us On Facebook: shurloc.com/Facebook - How To Videos: shurloc.com/YouTube - Follow Us For Updates: shurloc.com/Twitter