Author Topic: Spotting in print on tote bags  (Read 885 times)

Offline rusty

Spotting in print on tote bags
« on: March 31, 2020, 03:57:57 PM »
Can anyone say what is happening here? It’s not in every bag but in a decent amount that I’ll have to redo.this occurred over a week or so cause we have been closed due to everything going on and I came in check on things. The tote bags are supposed to be 100% cotton but I assume they’re not cause we also did about 50 black bags and there’s dye migration on a bunch. Just strange that’s it’s  a random dot pattern.

Any suggestions would be great since I will have to Replace them

Offline Ross_S

Re: Spotting in print on tote bags
« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2020, 04:05:52 PM »
Go look at the pallet and see how much lint is balling up.  Willing to bet your pallets have a bunch pilled up lint and the bags are thin so your seeing it come through your whitebase because that area has less of a deposit because the bag isn't as flat in that area. 
This is why I make my guys start with new pallet tape everytime the run polyester shirts.

Offline rusty

« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2020, 04:18:24 PM »
Ah that’s interesting. I didn’t think of that. Though shouldn’t it have been noticeable while printing? Didn’t not become apparent going through the dryer and possible sitting for a few days.

Though I ran these by myself and might have missed it as they piled up in the catch box.

Offline Ross_S

« Reply #3 on: March 31, 2020, 04:32:58 PM »
It's easy to miss.  I've ran a job in the past though that once ran through the dryer showed spotting in different colors cause from a reaction with the dyes used to create it during manufacturing.  Example might be some sort of chemical got splashed on the product. 
The job was for Abercrombie right before I started my business and we were running some heathered red shirts.  Once they exited the dryer they had green dots all over them.

Offline mooseman

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #4 on: March 31, 2020, 07:25:37 PM »
Going to take a SWAG at this one ( Scientific Wild A$$ Guess )

Lets say the bags are 100% cotton, not sure they are just doesn't look like a cotton weave on the black bag BUT. What if they have some oil or other hydrocarbon spots in / on the fabric like some tee shirts we see ;). What if the trip through the dryer vaporized or off gassed the substance whatever it might be changing the characteristics of the ink. So instead of dye migration it is  something like "ink evacuation" or ink reaction leaving behind the spots.

On similar note take for example the new car smell you get, well,  in a new car. That is not put there by the car maker it is a result of the plastics and materials in the interior of the car off gassing. A process that continues for some time long after the car value drops soon as you drive it off the lot.

The comment that the situation is not on all and the visible patterns are random kind of suggests some kind of foreign hitch hiker on / in the material. If you have more bags try an alcohol wipe on the material and a run through the dryer before you print.
mooseman
DUE TO CIRCUMSTANCES COMPLETELY WITHIN MY CONTROL YOU SHOULD GET YOUR OWN TEE SHIRT AND A SHARPIE MARKER BY NOON TOMORROW OR SIMPLY CALL SOMEONE WHO GIVES A SHIRT.