Author Topic: An argument for transfers?  (Read 2341 times)

Offline farmboygraphics

An argument for transfers?
« on: May 21, 2020, 08:17:10 AM »
Working alone I've found every minute here to get work done is precious, even the time it's taking to type this post. Had to do an order of 50 hoodies this morning and as always needed to stop and clean the boards after each go around, not to mention I seem to always underestimate the amount of tack I need and waste at least one to shift. Then forgetting I need to catch these as they like to stick and ruin the print if they drop in the box. This all sucked away time that I need for other jobs that are getting away from me. So I'm considering just having transfers made for any hoodie or sweat job in the future. Looking for some insight from anyone who's gone done that road. Are there any drawbacks, longevity of the print? Thanks :-)
Tees and Coffee

Offline Sbrem

• Ludicrous Speed Member
Re: An argument for transfers?
« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2020, 08:51:44 AM »
It's probably feasible, considering you're working alone. We had a customer for close to 20 years, a sports store, and we printed tons for them. 5 or 6 years ago, new younger people, very nice, easy to deal with, bought the business, and it continued on as usual. However, the last year or so their work has fallen right off of the table, nothing at all. They were able to figure out how to do it with transfers, for their market, not to mention getting quality art services done dirt cheap, with all the resources out there. So just something to think about. Of course, you need to realistically figure how many per hour you can transfer, etc., you know the rest. We are thinking this route for some store designs, as hard core printers as we are, it just makes sense.

Steve
I made a mistake once; I thought I was wrong about something; I wasn't

Offline Homer

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2020, 10:26:16 AM »
two of my competitors do that. transfers only. They feel nice but the costs and time frames just wouldn't be possible for us...we had a long talk about it too...
...keep doing what you're doing, you'll only get what you've got...

Offline 3Deep

• !!!
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #3 on: May 21, 2020, 11:31:13 AM »
I hate printing hoodies myself but they bring in a nice payday, I found using a web tac spray is best for hoodies and just replace the pallet tape.
Life is like Kool-Aid, gotta add sugar/hardwork to make it sweet!!

Offline ebscreen

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #4 on: May 21, 2020, 11:48:55 AM »
There's jobs where the additional time and materials makes sense but I wouldn't think of regular fleece as one.
We sometimes do them just to free up presses.

What's this about having to clean boards every round though? We have pallets that only see fleece and probably have
100+ prints per pallet before changing paper.

Offline farmboygraphics

« Reply #5 on: May 21, 2020, 01:28:55 PM »
What's this about having to clean boards every round though? We have pallets that only see fleece and probably have

It's job dependent, the more coverage and colors going down I just want to make sure they're nailed down good.
Tees and Coffee

Offline Frog

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
  • Docendo discimus
« Reply #6 on: May 21, 2020, 01:45:46 PM »

What adhesive do you use? If spray, how often do you re-spray?
If water based tack, how often do you do you spritz and wipe lint?
That rug really tied the room together, did it not?

Offline ebscreen

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #7 on: May 21, 2020, 01:49:51 PM »

Sprayway web tac, 880 or whatever number that is. Never found a wb product that
holds fleece reliably.

Spray every garment. There's no cleaning that stuff, once buildup is too much change paper.

An enviable position on long fleece runs is "Spiderman", or the person that just sprays the boards.

Offline Frog

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
  • Docendo discimus
« Reply #8 on: May 21, 2020, 02:25:19 PM »
I figured. Most of us veterans do the same.
Though, with my occasional small run of just a few pieces added to a T run, I've been known to "stick" with the waterbased stuff.

Offline T Shirt Farmer

« Reply #9 on: May 21, 2020, 02:58:39 PM »

Sprayway web tac, 880 or whatever number that is. Never found a wb product that
holds fleece reliably.

Spray every garment. There's no cleaning that stuff, once buildup is too much change paper.

An enviable position on long fleece runs is "Spiderman", or the person that just sprays the boards.

Sometimes this a great way to roll we do this frequently, takes a ton of stress off with the extra set of hands, more accurate application, great for morale as the three get to chat it up,better qc as puller does not have to worry about pull then spray.
Robert
allpremiums.com
Your Source for Decorated Apparel.

Offline farmboygraphics

« Reply #10 on: May 21, 2020, 04:19:45 PM »

There's no concern about too much build up effecting the print?
Tees and Coffee

Offline ebscreen

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #11 on: May 21, 2020, 04:24:58 PM »

Not until at least a couple hundred or more, depending on garment/design/gluers skillz.

Offline Frog

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
  • Docendo discimus
« Reply #12 on: May 21, 2020, 04:29:44 PM »

Sure there is, that's why the paper is changed when too much. Experience will help determine when too much is too much.
Fleece is a little more forgiving because it's already giving us a "softer" (sharpness not hand) print than a thin tight jersey knit T.

Offline eliteinkprinting

• Verified/Junior
« Reply #13 on: June 24, 2020, 01:29:40 PM »
There's jobs where the additional time and materials makes sense but I wouldn't think of regular fleece as one.
We sometimes do them just to free up presses.

What type of pallet tape do you use? I normally get about 2 rounds before I have to glue. I've tried a web spray from Ryonet and and took me 5 mins to get the hoodie off :)

Offline Prince Art

« Reply #14 on: June 24, 2020, 07:05:56 PM »
Here, it's been mist tack between every hoodie/other fleece, and change the tape when we're done. (We rarely have fleece runs long enough to need tape change part way through.) Fleece is about the only thing we use spray tack for anymore. And I HATE it. But definitely wouldn't clean the pallet between every garment.
Nice guys laugh last.