Author Topic: Embroidery- Busting needles with 3D/puff  (Read 1230 times)

Offline TCT

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
Embroidery- Busting needles with 3D/puff
« on: June 12, 2020, 08:37:23 AM »
I'll forgo the back story as to why I am in doing the embroidery right now and just get to the issue:

Sewing 3D/puff on hats. Running on a Barudan, 550 stitches/min, 3mm foam. Sews beautifully, but EVERY time it goes to trim it breaks the needle. Every time. We just finished running a bunch of polos, robes and bed sheets(don't ask) and there wasn't a single issue. I don't know enough about running  the machine to begin to diagnose what is going wrong. The local tech is either out of business, or severely COVID scared to the point he doesn't answer the phone any more. I am at a total loss, any ideas?
Alex

Hopefully I'll never have to grow up and get a real job...

www.twincitytees.com

Offline inkman996

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
Re: Embroidery- Busting needles with 3D/puff
« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2020, 10:10:24 AM »
Is the hook from the back that comes down to grab the top thread being deflected in to the needle? It might help to video it happening then watch it in slow motion. I have used this trick several times.
"No man is an island"

Offline ebscreen

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #2 on: June 12, 2020, 11:06:38 AM »
I made up a flow tree to help my better half narrow down issues before it gets to me.
It goes something like:

All heads? (assuming multi head machine)
All needles?

There's more to it but that's the relevant parts for your issue.

Inkman is in the right direction and I'd also suggest to look at the bobbin thread
trimmer under the needle plate. Threads tends to get gunked up in those and limit
travel/push out of position.

Offline GaryG

• !!!
« Reply #3 on: June 12, 2020, 08:55:37 PM »
I made up a flow tree to help my better half narrow down issues before it gets to me.
It goes something like:

All heads? (assuming multi head machine)
All needles?

Please continue the flow tree. It is always seems to be a random guessing game, and this cleaver tree sounds like a neat idea.

Thanks!

Offline mooseman

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #4 on: June 13, 2020, 02:04:59 PM »
here is my stab in the dark......
there are 2 basic functions in a trim, first is the cutting mechanism under the needle plate that actually cuts the thread on  stitch finish.
2nd is the hook above the needle plate and behind the head that hooks the thread and tucks it into the felts of the thread hold bar reay for the next run of that color.
MY GUESS is on the puff sew when the machine gets to the end of a stitch run the machine slows down and because of the reduced speed and the DRAG the puff foam and tight stitching of the thread on puff work the needle is not coming up out of the sew as fast or smoothly as normal. the cutting mesh under the needle plate fires thinking the needle is already gone based on normal timing and not only cuts the thread but shears the needle as it is still partilly below the needle plate.
This might explain why your polos bed sheets etc are not bringing the same result. The needle lifts out at normal "drag" speed / timing if you will and the cutting  mechanism misses it. The association of these two processes is very closely timed and the puff drag on the needle I suspect is the  culprit.
Two things to try...

First go into your machine settings and switch the trim length option to the longest trim setting.
Second pull you needle plate the cutter is immediately below that . Inspect it are there and nicks in the cutting edge.
good luck

here are some links that may help
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d9FBBV_Z9jQ

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O3wI9ZCQQKk

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wmx7JuSukak

mooseman (glad to be out of the embroidery business)
DUE TO CIRCUMSTANCES COMPLETELY WITHIN MY CONTROL YOU SHOULD GET YOUR OWN TEE SHIRT AND A SHARPIE MARKER BY NOON TOMORROW OR SIMPLY CALL SOMEONE WHO GIVES A SHIRT.

Offline TCT

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #5 on: June 15, 2020, 11:02:32 AM »
Thanks everyone! I'll update when I find out what is going on!
Alex

Hopefully I'll never have to grow up and get a real job...

www.twincitytees.com