Author Topic: looking for a new cutter  (Read 2406 times)

Online balloonguy

• !!!
looking for a new cutter
« on: July 07, 2020, 09:39:25 AM »
Good morning,
We are thinking of adding a new plotter to speed up production. Graphtec is out for us. We bought a 20" cutter from and it is a total POS. Their tech support is even worse. I am looking at roland. Are there any others I should consider. I checked the US cutter site and it looks like they have a private label. Does anyone have experience with them?
Thanks,
When you dig grave will you make it shallow so that I can feel the rain?

Offline Doug S

• Gonzo Member
Re: looking for a new cutter
« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2020, 09:48:42 AM »
We have a Qvision vinyl express going on 11 years and it’s still a workhorse. 
It's not a job if you love doing it.

Offline Frog

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
  • Docendo discimus
« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2020, 10:00:32 AM »
Good morning,
We are thinking of adding a new plotter to speed up production. Graphtec is out for us. We bought a 20" cutter from and it is a total POS. Their tech support is even worse. I am looking at roland. Are there any others I should consider. I checked the US cutter site and it looks like they have a private label. Does anyone have experience with them?
Thanks,

I've had great service from my Graphtec CE6000-40. What model did you have, and what problems?
That rug really tied the room together, did it not?

Offline Sbrem

• Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #3 on: July 07, 2020, 11:22:50 AM »
My vote is Roland. We had a PNC-1100 that ran until no operating system would run it anymore without an expensive upgrade, from '94 to '19. We were running an old Mac clone using OS9. Picked up a used GX-24 in perfect condition to replace it.

Steve
I made a mistake once; I thought I was wrong about something; I wasn't

Online balloonguy

• !!!
« Reply #4 on: July 07, 2020, 12:08:49 PM »
Good morning,
Thanks,

I've had great service from my Graphtec CE6000-40. What model did you have, and what problems?

We picked up celite. It is a 20". It constantly misfeeds (meaning it will cut 2 images in the same spot). It also has a level that has to be adjusted to the right number depending on wide the material is. That no working so I can only on level 2 no matter. I can use media that does not fit that setting. I called 2 or 3 times, emailed twice, used their support portal on their site twice and called them out on facebook. I have not had a single response to any of my inquires. They did not even take the time to tell they can't/won't help. I get that it just a $1000.00 unit but no response is just poor customer service in my opinion.

Online balloonguy

• !!!
« Reply #5 on: July 07, 2020, 12:20:05 PM »
I have never heard of these guys. Did you buy direct or through a vendor?

Offline Frog

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
  • Docendo discimus
« Reply #6 on: July 07, 2020, 12:57:56 PM »
Good morning,
Thanks,

We picked up celite. It is a 20". It constantly misfeeds (meaning it will cut 2 images in the same spot). It also has a level that has to be adjusted to the right number depending on wide the material is. That no working so I can only on level 2 no matter. I can use media that does not fit that setting. I called 2 or 3 times, emailed twice, used their support portal on their site twice and called them out on facebook. I have not had a single response to any of my inquires. They did not even take the time to tell they can't/won't help. I get that it just a $1000.00 unit but no response is just poor customer service in my opinion.

Yeah, I don't think that that model is considered commercial quality, but, nonetheless I'm surprised that you could get no help. A few years back, I had some software questions, and used that old phone technology and actually easily reached and talked to a tech.
That rug really tied the room together, did it not?

Offline Doug S

• Gonzo Member
« Reply #7 on: July 07, 2020, 02:12:56 PM »
I have never heard of these guys. Did you buy direct or through a vendor?

We bought it from signwarehouse.com.  They sell all sizes but we ended up going with a 60 inch as part of a package

It's not a job if you love doing it.

Offline Du Manchu

• Verified/Junior
« Reply #8 on: July 07, 2020, 11:33:13 PM »
Check Summa S Class cutters, which is Belgium technology.   Summa and Graphtec are the workhorses of the industry, IMO.    Graphtec more like the M&R, and Summa much like the newcomer Roq......the full size 54”+ machines anyways. 

Offline mooseman

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #9 on: July 08, 2020, 05:39:52 PM »
ROLAND GX-24 about 6 years never a problem they get my vote
mooseman
DUE TO CIRCUMSTANCES COMPLETELY WITHIN MY CONTROL YOU SHOULD GET YOUR OWN TEE SHIRT AND A SHARPIE MARKER BY NOON TOMORROW OR SIMPLY CALL SOMEONE WHO GIVES A SHIRT.

Online balloonguy

• !!!
« Reply #10 on: August 14, 2020, 01:02:25 PM »
Just a quick update... I picked the CE7000 24". It arrived this week (longer than expected by 3 - 4 days). It as damaged pretty badly in transit. I emailed and they required me to send the old one back before replacing. This already had me nervous because I have had such bad service with graphtec. I have been asking every day this week for the tracking number of the new machine. Still no answer. I told them no to send and issue a refund. I will order form anyone else. I get that covid has slowed things down but when you screw up you need to respond better than this. I will NEVER give graphtec another cent!

Online balloonguy

• !!!
« Reply #11 on: August 14, 2020, 01:09:49 PM »
anyone use mamaki?

Offline farmboygraphics

« Reply #12 on: August 14, 2020, 01:49:03 PM »
Roland Camm-1
Tees and Coffee

Online ThePrinter

• Verified/Junior
« Reply #13 on: August 14, 2020, 01:51:01 PM »
Just like Mooseman suggested. If going 24" go with ROLAND GX-24 I have two of them one older model (I have had 10+ years) and the newer model, with no complaints.

Online balloonguy

• !!!
« Reply #14 on: August 14, 2020, 03:57:10 PM »
Good stuff- I think I will go with Roland. Thanks for input.