Author Topic: Waterbase underbase  (Read 1451 times)

Offline avogel

Waterbase underbase
« on: August 12, 2020, 03:34:28 PM »
What does everyone use for underbase when printing waterbase and you can't discharge? We currently have Comet White and GG mixing system. We have also tried using Magna white. Anytime we try either of these for a underbase they stick and peel off when we try to add top colors. We usually fight it for awhile and then just run plastisol. We have no issues when running discharge underbase and adding top colors.

Offline zanegun08

Re: Waterbase underbase
« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2020, 06:27:32 PM »
Are you talking for doing a waterbase base for plastisol on top?

Magna has a specific product for this called Killer Base https://www.magnacolours.com/product/magnaprint-killer-base/ which works well.

If just a base for waterbase inks, then we typically use Matsui Stretch White

Offline brandon

• Gonzo Member
« Reply #2 on: August 12, 2020, 07:05:10 PM »
You can also use Permaset First Down White. What are you trying to achieve / what's the substrate / also design and amount of colors?

Offline avogel

« Reply #3 on: August 12, 2020, 09:39:20 PM »
Thanks. I will try the Permaset and Matsui. We don't print a lot of waterbase. We are wanting to do more. There has been a few times where because of a wide range of shirt colors and/or blends we couldn't use discharge. I was curious what everyone uses for underbase white.

Offline ZooCity

• Gonzo Member
« Reply #4 on: August 13, 2020, 02:02:20 PM »
Avogel, am I following you that your looking for a UB for traditional WB top colors, not HSA top colors?

If that's the case, just go with a trad WB white UB.   That WB white can be a little higher in solids content but shouldn't be a full on HSA if receiving WB colors on top.

Hopefully that makes sense trad WB<=>HSA is a spectrum and there are options in the middle to some degree.   The key is to decide, up front, if you are printing to bridge and form a solid film (HSA) or to wick and, essentially re-dye (traditional WB/DC).   You get in trouble when you try to do both in my experience.

Offline avogel

« Reply #5 on: August 13, 2020, 05:10:33 PM »
We have been using Green Galaxy Comet White and Green Galaxy top colors. We have not got that combo to run right with the Comet White as the underbase. We have used CCI discharge base and green galaxy top colors and that has turned out good. So we have only tried the HSA.