Author Topic: Peeling common?  (Read 1686 times)

Offline Frog

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
  • Docendo discimus
Peeling common?
« on: January 06, 2012, 11:30:47 AM »
This statement (thrown out matter-of-factly) in a link about prison print shops caught my eye.

Correctional Industries uses water-based nontoxic inks which are soft as well as permanent — actually becoming part of the fabric in the screen printing process. This makes our range of screen printed items ideal for the playing field, resisting the peeling that is common with iron-on or decal printing.

Now, I must admit that yes, I have had some heat seal vinyl and polyurethane peel, but always due to operator error, soiled used garments, or incompatible materials, and never over time, but almost immediately, first laundering.
I must also admit that when doing some restorative work on a CFL collector jersey, there was some peeling, but this was an old sucker! and I was, in fact, surprised to see "iron on" used at this professional level, albeit years back.

I am betting, that just as the advent of DTG caused the paper transfer technical folks to step up their game, vinyl and polyurethane films are much improved as well, and not "your father's iron-ons!"

Thoughts?

That rug really tied the room together, did it not?

Offline CoastalAaron

• Verified/Junior
Re: Peeling common?
« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2012, 12:28:41 PM »
Frog,

I totally agree. The "peeling" issue was something that might have been more common in some very old transfer or the cheap generic stuff. It is basically the way that people who sell competing products try to get people to buy their technology instead. I was on the other side and said the same things about why transfers were bad. Then when I came to Coastal and was able to test, try and see with my own eye how much better transfers are today I relized that I was wrong. Tranfers can easily be a good business and we have thousands of customers who prove that everyday. Check out this blog I wrote - http://blog.coastalbusiness.com/why-heat-transfer-print-and-cut-is-the-perfect-gateway-to-direct-to-garment/
Aaron Montgomery  |  Coastal Business Supplies, Inc.
aaron@coastalbusiness.com  www.coastalbusiness.com

Find Aaron talking all things decoration and personalization with Terry Combs - 2 Regular Guys Podcast