Author Topic: Digital printers for transfers  (Read 2296 times)

Offline Croft

Digital printers for transfers
« on: September 30, 2020, 01:36:11 PM »
Just wondering if anyone has one in their shop, we have always used digital print transfers from Stalhs or similar but I'm thinking of bringing it in house.
Stahls is using Roland machines and my other supplier is using Mimaki . both seem to print well . does anyone have experience with either
we won't be doing signs basically transfers and maybe stickers?
 Looking at
Roland 30" versa camm ( I think this is what Stahls uses), or Roland DG TrueVIS™ SG2-300
Mimaki CJV30-60 24" Series Printer Cutter?

Offline brandon

• Gonzo Member
Re: Digital printers for transfers
« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2020, 03:18:36 PM »
HP has the latex series now. Supposedly half the cost and friendlier inks without the smell?

Offline ericheartsu

• Gonzo Member
« Reply #2 on: September 30, 2020, 06:52:37 PM »
Lots of all in one solutions i'm seeing in china which are really incredible.
Night Owls
Waterbased screen printing and promo products.
www.nightowlsprint.com 281.741.7285

Offline zanegun08

« Reply #3 on: September 30, 2020, 07:05:14 PM »
@brandon @ericheartsu

Send links to these mythical transfer machines you are talking about?

As far as I know the best transfers in my opinion are these from Apex - https://www.apextransfers.com/ultra-ink.php which I believe are printed offset and then a screen print base / adhesive is also printed.

I source similar ones overseas but for small orders quicker turnaround I use Apex.

I don't really like the CAD transfers on vinyl as I think the feel and quality is low, only good for small hits, hats, very limited use for me.

Offline ericheartsu

• Gonzo Member
« Reply #4 on: September 30, 2020, 07:34:27 PM »
Supa Color is pretty good as well.

Zane not sure if you can see this vid or not:

https://www.facebook.com/allen.lau.359126/videos/343915286982120

but they are doing some really cool work in China with these machines. Some of them are INCREDIBLY cheap.
Night Owls

Offline mikee440

• Verified/Junior
« Reply #5 on: October 01, 2020, 09:02:32 AM »
I have to admit, this area of embellishment  has caught my attention.  Recently have had a job that was small and complicated enough where the transfers (613 Originals) made more financial sense.  Quality was consistent and good, clean up was a few scraps of paper and almost no set up time.  Customer says they are holding up too. For a job currently in the queue, well I cheated and ordered transfers again and I kinda feel bad but I am sure once its done I will be smiling (supa color this time).  I am pretty sure customers will be fine too.
The Supa Color sample I received is vibrant, has good light hand but is a touch of plastic-y slick feeling.

So with that Chinese machine in the video, what type of ink is being used?  I thought I saw one of the suppliers say something about water-based ink.

How does this process compare to white toner laser printer?  Any opinions on that.

If this is something that is within reach I am pretty sure it would add value to my services and I could probably sell transfers to some of the shops in my area.

Offline ericheartsu

• Gonzo Member
« Reply #6 on: October 01, 2020, 09:51:20 AM »
I Imagine Supacolor is doing something similiar, although, maybe a little bit higher end. I have my thoughts/suspicions on how they are doing it, but i'll leave that for in person gossip.

The Supa Color transfers feel pretty good, although i do not know if its WB, or Solvent.
Night Owls

Offline rusty

« Reply #7 on: October 01, 2020, 10:12:45 AM »
I thought Supacolors whole selling point was that it was WB?

Offline ericheartsu

• Gonzo Member
« Reply #8 on: October 01, 2020, 11:18:01 AM »
I thought Supacolors whole selling point was that it was WB?

yeah maybe you're right. the Supacolor transfers are pretty good tho.
Night Owls

Offline brandon

• Gonzo Member
« Reply #9 on: October 01, 2020, 12:53:21 PM »
Mike Mossman you should chime in here. He knows a lot about this stuff. Tech is changing fast! Zane you can just google HP Latex printers with cutting features

Offline zanegun08

« Reply #10 on: October 01, 2020, 12:59:39 PM »
How does this process compare to white toner laser printer?  Any opinions on that.

These are a league ahead, I haven't seen SupaColor before but I'm interested as they are on the West Coast vs East like Apex, would be a quicker ship time.

I got samples of the White Toner Laser Printers, and their finish is shiny and hokey looking, you can do a post press to make it more matte, but the feel and look of them is amateur at best.  Maybe would be ok for headwear but not apparel in my opinion.

I wonder if Apex and Supa are running similar lines to those of in the video.  Although I feel like Apex has something that is sheet fed, and won't do as small of details as in the video.  That would be so good for inside neck labels, full color offerings, can print exactly what you need.

But as anything digital or equipment related, it comes down to support, and getting that in the US on something is the scary part for something like this.

Offline ericheartsu

• Gonzo Member
« Reply #11 on: October 01, 2020, 01:21:01 PM »

But as anything digital or equipment related, it comes down to support, and getting that in the US on something is the scary part for something like this.

This is the winning quote of the thread.

Some of these machines are under $2000 before delivery. but there is NO support.
Night Owls

Offline farmboygraphics

« Reply #12 on: October 02, 2020, 12:40:15 PM »
I have a VG2-540 here, it get's used once and a while for transfers, but those are special circumstances as the bulk of it's work is decals and signs. Me personally knowing what I know now wouldn't even have a press or printer here, but be sourcing out everything. There are a few shops around me doing just this and doing it well. I'm just old and stubborn. That money would probably be better spent on a good DTG.
Tees and Coffee

Offline 1964GN

« Reply #13 on: October 23, 2020, 06:51:29 AM »
So, we are looking at a Mimaki CJV300-160 (64" print/cut). With current promotions we can get it for 2k less than a 54". Are you guys saying that you can do transfers with one of these things?

Offline Croft

« Reply #14 on: October 23, 2020, 09:14:29 AM »
So, we are looking at a Mimaki CJV300-160 (64" print/cut). With current promotions we can get it for 2k less than a 54". Are you guys saying that you can do transfers with one of these things?
I have always used the transfers printed from these , usually on Siser material for bags hats jackets etc, lately we have been getting 1000's done for masks so I have thought about getting our own machine but not that big.