Author Topic: 1st try at halftone  (Read 5777 times)

Offline sweetts

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
  • Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication DUH
1st try at halftone
« on: January 08, 2012, 04:38:13 PM »
Here is my first try at a halftone, 305 mesh Udc-hv emulsion 6 bulb florescent exposure unit 8. 5 minutes let me know your thoughts and suggestions thanks
RT Screen Designs
Willowick Ohio
www.rtscreendesigns.com

Offline virgil427

Re: 1st try at halftone
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2012, 06:05:22 PM »
That looks pretty nice sweetts

Offline sweetts

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2012, 06:09:54 PM »
Thanks, it was my first go with halftones, well the second the fist washed out on a 230 mesh
RT Screen Designs
Willowick Ohio
www.rtscreendesigns.com

Offline Fluid

• !!!
  • Keep the Ink Moving... Stay Corelian My Friends!
« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2012, 06:22:52 PM »
Thats a pretty big penny, lol.  Nice job. 

A trick I used quite often when printing designs like this was to use either  true four color process black or a mixture of 50/50 4-clr process black and regular plasticol black inks.

Depending on the amount of large solid areas the 4-clr process black may not give the opacity needed yet in most cases works real well with a couple bonuses such as better dot control,minimal hand to the print and if you need to double print it usually isn't going to kill the halftones.

The 50/50 mixture helps with the opacity needed on certain colors. I used this mixture almost exclusively on all my prints unless I could get away with 4-clr process black. 

Richard
--Fluid       www.fluiddsn.com Graphic Designs, Color Separations & Film Output 15+ years Industry Experience - CorelDRAW MasterĀ® 

Offline sweetts

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #4 on: January 08, 2012, 06:34:24 PM »

A trick I used quite often when printing designs like this was to use either  true four color process black or a mixture of 50/50 4-clr process black and regular plasticol black inks.

Depending on the amount of large solid areas the 4-clr process black may not give the opacity needed yet in most cases works real well with a couple bonuses such as better dot control,minimal hand to the print and if you need to double print it usually isn't going to kill the halftones.

The 50/50 mixture helps with the opacity needed on certain colors. I used this mixture almost exclusively on all my prints unless I could get away with 4-clr process black.
Great trick, hopefully I will be doing more work like this and this is the first time with halftones so I am open to all and any help in getting this right. Thanks for looking at it
RT Screen Designs
Willowick Ohio
www.rtscreendesigns.com

Offline virgil427

« Reply #5 on: January 08, 2012, 08:17:20 PM »
Thanks, it was my first go with halftones, well the second the fist washed out on a 230 mesh
were your nerves up a little when you were washing it out? I had a couple jobs to wash out the other day, the one with all the detail and halftones came out beautiful the simple spot color spattered all over the back of my booth.

Offline sweetts

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #6 on: January 08, 2012, 08:24:51 PM »
were your nerves up a little when you were washing it out? I had a couple jobs to wash out the other day, the one with all the detail and halftones came out beautiful the simple spot color spattered all over the back of my booth.
Yes I was freaking out, I also just started washing them out with the power washer so I was on edge boy. I didnt think it would come out, I use a florescent exposure unit with a weighted down piece of foam rubber, no vacuum blanket and I had a long burn time. Its very exciting to me to do something other then spot colors.
RT Screen Designs
Willowick Ohio
www.rtscreendesigns.com

Offline blue moon

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #7 on: January 09, 2012, 08:10:10 AM »
looks good!

what were the lpi and the angle?

pierre
Yes, we've won our share of awards, and yes, I've tested stuff and read the scientific papers, but ultimately take everything I say with more than just a grain of salt! So if you are looking for trouble, just do as I say or even better, do something I said years ago!

Offline blue moon

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #8 on: January 09, 2012, 08:13:20 AM »

that will help.

You could also set it up on two screens. Leave the solid stuff on one and the halftones with the sold stuff on another. This way solid areas will get two hits of ink and the halftones only one.

pierre
Yes, we've won our share of awards, and yes, I've tested stuff and read the scientific papers, but ultimately take everything I say with more than just a grain of salt! So if you are looking for trouble, just do as I say or even better, do something I said years ago!

Offline middletownink

• Verified/Junior
  • Future so bright, got to wear shades!
« Reply #9 on: January 09, 2012, 08:33:24 AM »

that will help.

You could also set it up on two screens. Leave the solid stuff on one and the halftones with the sold stuff on another. This way solid areas will get two hits of ink and the halftones only one.

pierre
[/quote]

Great tip!  I have ended up doing that before and it takes all of the anxiety way in regards to using multiple print strokes and loosing the half tones.
With that being said I wonder if this image was printed on one of those new Hi Density T's would it make a difference?  I haven't used them yet but am super curious as to the validity of the ad that I saw with the dogs chasing the guy with the bacon on his shirt!! 

Any one used the Hi Density T's yet?  Would they work for this application? 

Megan
-You Think It! - We Print It!-

Offline sweetts

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #10 on: January 09, 2012, 09:36:23 AM »
I printed it on all my let overs I think the picture was on a port and co 6.1 the angle was 22.5 the lpi I am not sure where it was at

Sent  from samsung gem(the worst smart phone ever)
RT Screen Designs
Willowick Ohio
www.rtscreendesigns.com

Offline Frog

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
  • Docendo discimus
« Reply #11 on: January 09, 2012, 09:41:08 AM »

Its very exciting to me to do something other then spot colors.

Good job sweetts, but I do want to clear up what I feel is a misnomer in terms here.
I have always been taught that spot colors are merely colors out of the bucket, as opposed to process and other colors "mixed" on the print itself. In other words solid, or halftoned, this is still a spot color job, albeit, using halftone dots.

Okay artists, rake me over the coals! lol!
That rug really tied the room together, did it not?

Offline sweetts

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #12 on: January 09, 2012, 09:55:32 AM »
Thanks I was thinking geez its still spot color isnt it , but didnt want to ask, glad you added that. I am still wet behind the ears lol :D

RT Screen Designs
Willowick Ohio
www.rtscreendesigns.com

Offline sweetts

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #13 on: January 09, 2012, 10:22:37 AM »
Now I want to play with it and get it sharper.

RT Screen Designs
Willowick Ohio
www.rtscreendesigns.com

Offline 3Deep

• !!!
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #14 on: January 09, 2012, 10:29:37 AM »
Well Frog I have to agree with you its a spot color job with halftones,  nice job by the way I.m glad I didn't have to pull that squeegee on that 305 whew!!!

Darryl
Life is like Kool-Aid, gotta add sugar/hardwork to make it sweet!!