Author Topic: heat press problem on Nike Pique Polo #443119  (Read 1159 times)

Offline Sbrem

• Ludicrous Speed Member
heat press problem on Nike Pique Polo #443119
« on: March 31, 2021, 11:16:07 AM »
These shirts don't seem to like the heat. Hotronix older hat press, 310° @ 15 seconds (top) no good, and since the shirt is toast, a couple more tries. The second one at 290° for 10 seconds, and the bottom one 290° at 10 seconds with a cover sheet, not sticking perfectly well, and still the press marks suck. I think it's the shirt, as other items with these transfers, Supacolor Wearables, are fine. Any thoughts? I've written to Supacolor, waiting on a reply...

Steve
I made a mistake once; I thought I was wrong about something; I wasn't

Offline blue moon

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
Re: heat press problem on Nike Pique Polo #443119
« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2021, 11:28:29 AM »
try running through the dryer, see if it recovers.
also did you try steaming?

pierre
Yes, we've won our share of awards, and yes, I've tested stuff and read the scientific papers, but ultimately take everything I say with more than just a grain of salt! So if you are looking for trouble, just do as I say or even better, do something I said years ago!

Offline Homer

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2021, 12:23:08 PM »
Brad told me about a product for this, works great... It's called Magic Sizing, spray it on, let it sit. 90% of the marks go away

https://www.amazon.com/Magic-Fabric-Sizing-Aerosol-Starch/dp/B00KO8HYDE/ref=dp_prsubs_2?pd_rd_i=B00KO8HYDE&psc=1
...keep doing what you're doing, you'll only get what you've got...

Offline Pangea

• !!!
  • Jack of all trades, master of none.
« Reply #3 on: March 31, 2021, 12:40:46 PM »
Brad told me about a product for this, works great... It's called Magic Sizing, spray it on, let it sit. 90% of the marks go away

https://www.amazon.com/Magic-Fabric-Sizing-Aerosol-Starch/dp/B00KO8HYDE/ref=dp_prsubs_2?pd_rd_i=B00KO8HYDE&psc=1

This works great to pop hoop marks as well as the steamer. I think the combo of the pressure and heat is modifying the makeup of the weave of the poly so, while it's worth a shot, I don't know if that will do it. For these I'd suggest a low cure transfer (if that's a thing, not totally sure).

Offline mooseman

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #4 on: March 31, 2021, 01:31:54 PM »
Went through some of this solved the issue by reducing the press "PRESSURE" to super light and a pillow under the shirt.
The pressure you are applying along with the heat id basically flattening the polyester thread changing it from interwoven round thread to oval shape cross section and closing  all the interweave openings in the fabric giving you the closed flat surface reflection.
Worth a try....lighten up baby it may work a little better for  and hit it twice if not sure of the attachment .
WE use it on digital transfers from Stahls they require 305 degrees at 15 seconds.
mooseman
DUE TO CIRCUMSTANCES COMPLETELY WITHIN MY CONTROL YOU SHOULD GET YOUR OWN TEE SHIRT AND A SHARPIE MARKER BY NOON TOMORROW OR SIMPLY CALL SOMEONE WHO GIVES A SHIRT.

Offline Audifox

« Reply #5 on: March 31, 2021, 01:35:25 PM »
For fussy poly garments like that I use the silicone rubber cover sheets from Stahl's.

https://www.stahls.com/heat-press-flexible-application-pad

I have  full sized ones, plus I have a few that I have cut to suit.
I cover the whole garment except for the transfer. I would also use a small pad under the shirt to lessen the marks.   
Cause that shine won't come out. The poly has been melted on that (new test) shirt......

Offline Sbrem

• Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #6 on: March 31, 2021, 03:47:24 PM »
Bill from Supacolor gave me a call and had some good suggestions, we all seem to see the same thing happening. I have small 6 x 8 press with both the upper and lower platen getting heat. He suggested 295° on the bottom plate, and 200° on the top plate. It's air operated unit, so he said a real quick first press, low pressure, about 3 seconds, which should help keep the transfer sheet from impressing the fabric. Then cover and press again, for about another 3 to 4 seconds. I'll let you know how that goes. To make my day better, I have some UltraColor transfers from TE go over the pocket of some striped oxford shirts. Of course, the stripes are showing through, so they'll probable be a re-do on CAD Printz Soft Opaque. Glad I'm leaving early for the wife's birthday...

Steve

Offline Homer

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #7 on: March 31, 2021, 04:52:34 PM »
Bill from Supacolor gave me a call and had some good suggestions, we all seem to see the same thing happening. I have small 6 x 8 press with both the upper and lower platen getting heat. He suggested 295° on the bottom plate, and 200° on the top plate. It's air operated unit, so he said a real quick first press, low pressure, about 3 seconds, which should help keep the transfer sheet from impressing the fabric. Then cover and press again, for about another 3 to 4 seconds. I'll let you know how that goes. To make my day better, I have some UltraColor transfers from TE go over the pocket of some striped oxford shirts. Of course, the stripes are showing through, so they'll probable be a re-do on CAD Printz Soft Opaque. Glad I'm leaving early for the wife's birthday...

Steve

for what it's worth, We have successfully lined up transfers over top each other to combat the "see through" effect. So don't bail on those just yet, it takes some skill but is totally possible.....
...keep doing what you're doing, you'll only get what you've got...

Offline Sbrem

• Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #8 on: April 01, 2021, 12:57:31 PM »
Thanks Homer, but it looks like TE will replace them. Besides, I didn't order enough to double up. I want to go with CAD-Printz instead, as I know it's opaque enough. The art is a white rectangle with colored text on it, so I'm pretty sure that would do it. I'm on hold with them while I'm tying this. OK, they are sending their dye sub blocker version, even though I don't think that's the issue. The blue stripes are plainly made of a white and blue thread weave. Unless they make thread by sublimating it? ???

Steve

Offline 3Deep

• !!!
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #9 on: April 01, 2021, 04:41:00 PM »
This is why this forum is so great, you get real world problems and many ways to fix them real world, seem like to me they are making new products faster than we can get a good option for decorating them :o..... especially performance wear
Life is like Kool-Aid, gotta add sugar/hardwork to make it sweet!!