Author Topic: DTF not DTG  (Read 12723 times)

Offline ericheartsu

• Gonzo Member
Re: DTF not DTG
« Reply #15 on: October 19, 2020, 08:07:08 PM »
that is awesome! i've been hesitant to buy one...but i'm getting closer. cannot wait to hear your experience.
Night Owls
Waterbased screen printing and promo products.
www.nightowlsprint.com 281.741.7285

Offline ZooCity

• Gonzo Member
« Reply #16 on: October 20, 2020, 11:47:48 AM »
DonR, that's great you're diving into this.   Can these units print a UB that is good to go on polyester/performance wear? 

If the supacolor product is similar/same tech, I'm all for it.  Ticks the boxes without feeling weird on a ring spun T.  They are a bit plasticky still but any film/coating style embellishment will be.   We've been using them for graphics with high detail, imaging at small print size; it's superior to screen in these cases with the smaller dot.

Offline zanegun08

« Reply #17 on: October 20, 2020, 02:46:19 PM »
I have one of the larger systems on a ship somewhere.

You have a link to what you are getting?

I think these could be really cool for inside neck label transfers, print them on demand, full color as an option, and they would look and feel great as long as little text comes out good.

Seems exciting, hopefully it works out well.

Offline DonR

« Reply #18 on: October 20, 2020, 06:35:42 PM »
ZooCity, it prints a white underbase on top of the colors. The white hot melt powder is added to the underbase right after it has been printed. It can then be transferred onto any material including poly/performance wear.  It transfers at 300F for 10 to 15 seconds. I believe you can transfer at a lower temp for a longer time but I have not tried it yet. Once transferred it can be stretched more than screen printing, vinyl, DTG, etc. I really pulled on the samples I have and they go right back into shape with the shirt.

Zanegun08, it should work well for neck labels with little to no feel.

Offline DonR

« Reply #19 on: October 20, 2020, 06:46:45 PM »
ZooCity, The feel is more like a plastisol screen printed transfer. There is no backing that transfers to the garment. The ink mixed with the hot melt powder is the only thing that transfers. With some of the transfers films a little of the coating that holds the ink will also transfer. As soon as I can, I will print out a bunch of samples for anyone who wants them.

Offline ericheartsu

• Gonzo Member
« Reply #20 on: October 20, 2020, 11:33:40 PM »
ZooCity, it prints a white underbase on top of the colors. The white hot melt powder is added to the underbase right after it has been printed. It can then be transferred onto any material including poly/performance wear.  It transfers at 300F for 10 to 15 seconds. I believe you can transfer at a lower temp for a longer time but I have not tried it yet. Once transferred it can be stretched more than screen printing, vinyl, DTG, etc. I really pulled on the samples I have and they go right back into shape with the shirt.

Zanegun08, it should work well for neck labels with little to no feel.

this is my favorite thing about printing with PET film now. Don shoot me an email, and i can get you connected with a great PET supplier.
Night Owls

Offline brandon

• Gonzo Member
« Reply #21 on: October 21, 2020, 12:12:13 AM »
Thank you Don! This is a great thread for everyone on here. Definitely need more samples.

Offline Homer

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #22 on: October 21, 2020, 07:18:12 AM »
I've been on the fence for a while, We've tried a variety of transfer materials with ecosol inks, they all feel like a shower curtain. The best /softest results we've found so far is the Siser easisubli with sublimation inks, however you are limited to vector objects since it needs to be die cut.

check these out if you haven't already. I see the large scale units in the 7k range, plus freight

https://www.alibaba.com/product-detail/2020-Hot-Sale-Dtf-Printer-Heat_1600123893657.html?spm=a2700.7724857.normalList.74.353f6aceDK0a0T
...keep doing what you're doing, you'll only get what you've got...

Offline zanegun08

« Reply #23 on: October 21, 2020, 08:21:17 PM »
ZooCity, The feel is more like a plastisol screen printed transfer.

DonR, what is your main use case for getting this equipment?

I like it for small hits with high detail, possibility for inside labels, transfers for hats, high detail images on fleece.  Maybe short run transfers for something that could be screen printed.

I am going to wear the Supacolor sample shirt they sent tomorrow to see what it feels like for wearing.  I see it as a niche tool, with limited use cases.

Wondering if you are going after something else with it, or what your main use will be?

Offline ericheartsu

• Gonzo Member
« Reply #24 on: October 21, 2020, 09:14:24 PM »
ZooCity, The feel is more like a plastisol screen printed transfer.

DonR, what is your main use case for getting this equipment?

I like it for small hits with high detail, possibility for inside labels, transfers for hats, high detail images on fleece.  Maybe short run transfers for something that could be screen printed.

I am going to wear the Supacolor sample shirt they sent tomorrow to see what it feels like for wearing.  I see it as a niche tool, with limited use cases.

Wondering if you are going after something else with it, or what your main use will be?

thought that at first, and then we've placed 4 orders with supacolor this week alone.
Night Owls

Offline DonR

« Reply #25 on: October 21, 2020, 11:24:42 PM »
zanegun08, Lost all of the white heads on my Brother DTG during the shut down. I want to find something more reliable, less maintenance, and more versatile. Don't know what I will do with it until I have played with it... I did not want to go with the modified desktops printers because I do not think they can give me the reliable machine I want. I am also not a big fan of one-off work, so again the smaller systems did not fit what I want. The sample prints and what everyone is saying sounds good but you never know until its in your shop. This may turn out to be a bust and sit in a corner collecting dust.

Offline mikee440

• Verified/Junior
« Reply #26 on: October 22, 2020, 07:50:54 PM »
I also recently discovered this process and I ordered from Supacolor 4 times  in 2 weeks though. I don't want to reclaim screens anymore  :-\..that being said it does not feel heavy but does have a slight plastic feel or look to it.  It is crisp and seems to be wearing well so far. Being that my press is only a 6 color manual..this product has opened up new opportunities for me.  Previously I was thinking of adding DTG..hmm maybe or White Toner Laser ... prob not.  NOw I want one of these so I can sell transfers to my competitors...

Offline brandon

• Gonzo Member
« Reply #27 on: October 24, 2020, 01:16:46 PM »
Thanks everyone for contributing to this post. Looking forward to what some of you are going to do. 2021 we are going forward with a lot of new changes / technology and I am embracing it.

Offline serevi

« Reply #28 on: October 24, 2020, 08:02:07 PM »
Got dtf printing working with chinese ink on my old epson 4880. My observations
1. Better durability than dtg, not as good as screen printing.
2. White isnt as white as a normal screen print.
3. Colour profiling needs to be done. Colours arent accurate.
4. Cant do floaters like dtg. Needs to lay down ink for the adhesive to stick.

Offline Sbrem

• Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #29 on: October 28, 2020, 12:39:15 PM »
I see that OpenDTG has a unit and supplies. $2500 for the printer, $150 for inks, and I found this discussion on their site...  https://www.opendtg.com/topic/2010-p600-dtf-printer/

Steve
I made a mistake once; I thought I was wrong about something; I wasn't